Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Lennon screwing with "Only A Northern Song" - why!  (Read 2164 times)

Buttmunker

• Getting Better
Lennon screwing with "Only A Northern Song" - why!
« on: October 06, 2007, 04:58:38 AM »

In the later years, around 1969, George finally stood up for himself and told his bandmates to step off from one of his songs.  During "Something," Macca suggested something to improve the song, and George cut him short, saying: "the song is fine."  End of story.  Then.

But back during the recording of "Only A Northern Song," George wouldn't say too much if one of the other Beatles wanted to add or enhance one of George's songs (which would have been rare, considering they hardly invested any time for George's songs).

ANYway, I was listening to "Only a Northern Song" on Anthology II, and it sounds GREAT!  But the studio version, which I believe appears on the Yellow Submarine Soundtrack, has Lennon tinkering with it, adding those weird loops evident on his crazy Tomorrow Never Knows, and totally alters the song.

The song was perfectly fine without those psychedelic loops to make it clangy.  An example of "less is more," if you ask me.  Your opinions?
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
Re: Lennon screwing with "Only A Northern Song" - why!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 11:55:02 AM »

But isn't Antholgy full of songs that have been edited down to their more basic forms? Some sound better, some sound worse.
Interesting you use the word "screwing." Was George screwing with Norwegian Wood when he added sitar? No, he was contributing, even though (as you say for It's Only A Northern Song) the value of that contribution is debateable.
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 01:46:38 PM »

Quote from: 828
ANYway, I was listening to "Only a Northern Song" on Anthology II, and it sounds GREAT!  But the studio version, which I believe appears on the Yellow Submarine Soundtrack, has Lennon tinkering with it, adding those weird loops evident on his crazy Tomorrow Never Knows, and totally alters the song.

The song was perfectly fine without those psychedelic loops to make it clangy.  An example of "less is more," if you ask me.  Your opinions?

I'm sure it was done to make an otherwise dull song sound a bit more interesting. Remember it was recorded during the Pepper sessions, so maybe Lennon was trying to improve it for inclusion on the album. Anyway, do we know that George disagreed with it?

Quote from: 185
But isn't Anthology full of songs that have been edited down to their more basic forms? Some sound better, some sound worse.
Interesting you use the word "screwing." Was George screwing with Norwegian Wood when he added sitar? No, he was contributing, even though (as you say for It's Only A Northern Song) the value of that contribution is debateable.

A few songs have had some of the 'layers' taken off, otherwise they're outtakes, and previously unreleased material.

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 05:09:45 PM »

Mr., or is it Ms. or Mrs. Buttmunker;

Re: John screwing with 'Only a Northern Song':

George was certainly open to experimentation when it came to music. "Wonderwall" is certainly an example, and the Beatles song(?) voted worst by most fans, "Revolution 9," according to Allen Wiener's "The Beatles Ultimate Recording Guide," page 109: "The Beatles recorded "Revolution 1" (Version II), released on The Beatles...The first day's recording yielded a take lasting 10:17, including Lennon's first, unreleased vocal. The final six minutes of that take ended up on the bizarre "Revolution 9" track...At several sessions during this period, John and Yoko Ono assembled a variety of sound effects, tape loops and other audio items into the wild "Revolution 9," released on The Beatles. The only other member of the group involved on this project was George, who made a relatively minor contribution to the final track including some spoken lines."

And although George's appearance on audio/video recordings show his generally meek and agreeable demeanor, he did not hold back when pushed into an uncomfortable, disagreeable 'corner.'

Listening to the Twickenham/Get Back sessions John often suggests to George lines for songs that would come out on "Abbey Road" or on later albums released by George, so all in all, George permitted tinkering to his songs if, and only if, he was in agreement to such recommendations.

Great to hang with Fab Four Fans!

Xeno

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 03:45:28 AM »

I bet Lennon wanted to stick it to Northern Songs and that's what got him interested in the track.  I like the Anthology version better than the original release--some of the original lines are better I think (like "I sang it myself"--referring to the harmony).  

I've always liked the song--there's nobody here is a great idea.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 01:20:20 PM »

Welcome to the forums, Xeno Lambrose!

The more I learn about 'Only a Northern Song', the more I like it! And I liked it to begin with; the humor hits the spot for me. :)
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 02:53:51 PM »

Welcome to the forums Xeno Lambrose! Enjoy!  :)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

Buttmunker

• Getting Better
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2007, 04:53:09 PM »

Quote from: 892
Mr., or is it Ms. or Mrs. Buttmunker;

Relax, fellas.  It's Mr. :)

Back in 1966/67, I think Lennon/McCartney did whatever the hell they wanted with Harrison's songs.  They decided if it got used on an album, if it didn't, and if it needed to be tweaked, or not bothered with.  It must have been very hard for George to stay in such an uncaring environment for so many years.  George recorded "Only A Northern Song" for Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, but nobody cared enough for it to be used, so it was shelved.  You think George had a say in the matter?  

In thinking about it, maybe John included the loops in trying to get George's song used, by making it a little psycheldelic, but no dice.  I don't know - there's not enough history written about such specifics.  I only know from Geoff Emerick's book that they decided to shelve it, then used it for the Yellow Submarine soundtrack "as filler."  

There's always two sides to a story, and I opted for the idea that Lennon wanted to put his own spin on the song, therefore adding the weird loops and what-not.  But the other side of the story, which I only considered recently, was that he was trying to help Harrison get the song on an album.

But who knows.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 03:10:41 PM »

I think the overdubs and tape loops improved the song dramatically, and God did it need it. IMO it still doesn't prevent it from being a dirge, and one of the worst songs The Beatles recorded. I think it would definitely have been the worst song on Sgt Pepper if it had been included. Now if only someone could have persuaded John not to put Good Morning, Good Morning on there!

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2007, 07:46:35 PM »

"Only A Northern Song" certainly fits the SGT PEPPER concept better than "Within You Without You," that's for sure. One can easily understand why George opted for WYWY over OANS but I can't imagine why the other Fabs let him. It may, however, have to do with the fact that George's contribution to PEPPER was cut from 2 to 1 (down from three-to-an-album when you consider his contribution to the previous LP, REVOLVER). I've always enjoyed OANS and don't find John's contributions disturbing in the least. I think Paul's bass is great (as on all PEPPER-era tracks) and Ringo's drumming is clear and concise. WYWY is generally considered the nadir of SGT PEPPER; I doubt OANS would have gained the same notoriety had it been included instead. That honor, I'd have to say, would go to the overly melodramatic SHE'S LEAVING HOME.

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 10:01:43 PM »

I've never liked Only A Northern Song. pahaps the weakest song
George ever wrote! :-/ well, that's just my opinion!

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2007, 11:38:09 PM »

Quote from: 912
"Only A Northern Song" certainly fits the SGT PEPPER concept better than "Within You Without You," that's for sure. One can easily understand why George opted for WYWY over OANS but I can't imagine why the other Fabs let him. It may, however, have to do with the fact that George's contribution to PEPPER was cut from 2 to 1 (down from three-to-an-album when you consider his contribution to the previous LP, REVOLVER). I've always enjoyed OANS and don't find John's contributions disturbing in the least. I think Paul's bass is great (as on all PEPPER-era tracks) and Ringo's drumming is clear and concise. WYWY is generally considered the nadir of SGT PEPPER; I doubt OANS would have gained the same notoriety had it been included instead. That honor, I'd have to say, would go to the overly melodramatic SHE'S LEAVING HOME.

Calling "Within You, Without You" the low point or "nadir" of the Pepper album is ridiculous to me..
The song encapsulates their then-current interest in eastern philosophies and aural experimentation they had begun as far back as fall of '65 w/ Rubber Soul. Would you call the introduction of a sitar on "Norwegian Wood" as a similar nadir point on R.S. ? ..or his "Love You To" on Revolver? .. following that natural progression, Pepper's "WYWY" is one of the album's centerpieces reflecting the Beatles evolving spiritual curiosity (and for George ultimately, his destination) Dismissing it so offhandedly seems to miss the song's importance in this particular collection. OANS is, for the most part, one of George's quickly-put-together, "throw away" tunes--meant, no doubt as album filler for that wasteland of Beatle Lps, Yellow Submarine (which only contained a handful of newer soundtrack material AND previously released stuff)(MMT, notwithstanding :)) Can you really compare the lyrics of OANS & WYWY with a straight face ? There's NO comparison. George is obviously being facetious on "Northern Song" --meant as a mild "swipe"at NEMS itself...he's purposely concerning himself w/ meaningless trivialities in OANS ("it doesnt really matter what chord I play"..""what time of day it is", or, "if my hair is brown") Conversely,"WYWY" is certainly one of his more earnest works. Here, he concerns himself w/ larger, more universal themes touching on the human condition..("We were talking-about the space between us all
And the people-who hide themselves behind a wall of illusion
Never glimpse the truth-then it's far too late-when they pass away"..."We were talking-about the love we all could share-when we find it
To try our best to hold it there-with our love
With our love-we could save the world-if they only knew...." Aren't THESE themes a little more IMPORTANT than the lyrics of OANS ??
I'd say so. Dont get me wrong, I like "Only a Northern Song", but it certainly does not rank along side "WYWY" lyrically or thematically..and just as importantly for the emerging hippie culture that came into fruition during 1967, "WYWY" was certainly au courant. OANS, on the other hand, was simply an inside joke.

-mmm

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2007, 12:13:29 AM »

I must agree with the above.

::)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2007, 09:19:57 PM »

Quote from: 843
I must agree with the above.

::)

lol, Klang..but doing that might make u a target in here ;D

BlueMeanie

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2007, 09:53:22 PM »

Quote from: 829

lol, Klang..but doing that might make u a target in here ;D

I'd better lend my support as well then! ;D

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2007, 02:20:12 AM »

Well, I'm generous. Need a target? Here I am.

:P

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 69 queries.