Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Song Of The Week - Hold me Tight  (Read 4848 times)

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
Song Of The Week - Hold me Tight
« on: August 08, 2019, 12:49:14 AM »

So the story goes that Hold me tight was written as a collaborative effort in 1962 by John and Paul even though Paul had the original idea.
The song was apparently recorded for the first LP Please please Me but didn't make it onto the album due to everyone being unhappy with it so it was re recorded at a later date and put on the second album With The Beatles, the original recording has been lost and no one seems to have a copy so we may never hear it unfortunately.

Although official documents do not mention it, the song was speeded up from the original recording, which elevated the key signature from E major to F major. This is sometimes done to create a tighter performance and has been done to good effect at different times throughout The Beatles recording career, as well as slowing down the tape in the cases of “Rain” and “Strawberry Fields Forever” for a completely different effect. In the case of “Hold Me Tight,” it can be assumed that the song was speeded up during the mastering process or when tape copies were made since, according to Geoff Emerick, the process of "vari-speeding" wasn't available at EMI until much later, probably around 1966.

The song has had a lot of criticism of the years for being cliched and simple in its formula however personally I've always liked it. I feel it has some complications for such early songwriting by two young boys, I like the way it changes from major to minor key for the middle 8 and I like the staccato guitar phrases which are followed by the bass, quite clever if you think about it and innovative for the time.

Hold Me Tight”

Written by:  John Lennon / Paul McCartney

Song Written: September, 1962
Song Recorded: September 12, 1963
First US Release Date: January 20, 1964
First US Album Release: Capitol #ST-2047 “Meet The Beatles!”
US Single Release: n/a
Highest Chart Position: n/a
British Album Release: Parlophone #PCS 3045 “With The Beatles”
Length: 2:32
Key: F major
Producer: George Martin
Engineers: Norman Smith, Richard Langham
Instrumentation (most likely):

Paul McCartney - Lead and Background Vocals, Bass Guitar (1961 Hofner 500/1), Handclaps
George Harrison – Lead Guitar (Gretsch 6122 Country Gentleman), Background Vocals, Handclaps
John Lennon – Rhythm Guitar (1958 Rickenbacker 325), Background Vocals, Handclaps
Ringo Starr – Drums (Ludwig), Handclaps
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 12:54:52 AM by nimrod »
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: Song Of The Week - Hold me Tight
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 01:31:01 AM »

Hold Me Tight takes 20-29 are in this video...

https://youtu.be/R643xfzafeg
2:47 - 5:58

Thirteen takes were done on 11 February 1963.  The tape was destroyed shortly after.  They completed recording the song on 12 September 1963 in ten takes which were numbered 20-29.

George Martin edited Takes 26 and 29 to yield the released version...

https://youtu.be/H42Ou13za30
I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 01:44:13 AM »

Here you can hear how they recorded the song in E major...

https://youtu.be/cTfwowkslSQ

...and how Varispeed was used to raise the key signature to F major.

I remember listening to this song on Capitol's Meet The Beatles LP in early 1964.  I was puzzled by the sound of the vocals on that track.  "Why does Paul sound flat in some parts of this song?" I thought.

Today, understanding more fully studio recording/editing techniques and Varispeed, I finally have the answer to my question of long ago.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 02:01:37 AM »

...and I like the staccato guitar phrases which are followed by the bass, quite clever if you think about it and innovative for the time.

https://youtu.be/Imv8JE3MrD8

icon_good

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 02:29:18 AM »

Here you can hear how they recorded the song in E major...

https://youtu.be/cTfwowkslSQ

...and how Varispeed was used to raise the key signature to F major.

I remember listening to this song on Capitol's Meet The Beatles LP in early 1964.  I was puzzled by the sound of the vocals on that track.  "Why does Paul sound flat in some parts of this song?" I thought.

Today, understanding more fully studio recording/editing techniques and Varispeed, I finally have the answer to my question of long ago.

That’s always been one of the criticisms of the song. That Paul sang flat a lot on it. I didn’t realise it had been sped up.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019, 02:39:12 AM »

This one has never grabbed me as anything more than filler. It’s interesting they revisited it as, even in the six months since Please Please me, their songwriting was developing quickly and it doesn’t stack up that well against It Won’t Be Long, All My Loving or even All I’ve Gotta Do. That they sped it up suggests they thought even the remake didn’t quite hit the mark.

I’d have thought this one would have been a candidate for giving to another group.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019, 03:35:39 AM »

I like the way it changes from major to minor key for the middle 8...

So do I.  And here we find an early example of Paul's trick lyric phrasing...

Hold me tight
Let me go on loving you
Tonight, tonight
Making love to only you
So hold (hold) me tight (me tight)
Tonight (tonight), tonight (tonight)
It's you, you you you

Don't know what it means to hold you tight

Being here alone tonight with you
It feels so right now, so

Hold me tight
Tell me I'm the only one...

Paul would later perfect this technique in songs like Fixing A Hole...

And it really doesn't matter if I'm wrong I'm right
Where I belong I'm right
Where I belong.

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2019, 09:16:41 AM »

And here we find an early example of Paul's trick lyric phrasing...

Hold me tight
Let me go on loving you
Tonight, tonight
Making love to only you
So hold (hold) me tight (me tight)
Tonight (tonight), tonight (tonight)
It's you, you you you

Don't know what it means to hold you tight

Being here alone tonight with you
It feels so right now ...

Nice to see this song getting the recognition it deserves.

As you've shown the lyrics aren't quite as simple as they look and it was also a bit daring in 1963 to sing "making love to only you".

Musically I like the way you're straight into the song and then you get the relentless riff. The changes in rhythm are fun as are the answering chorus lines. When you reach the end there's a feeling of accomplishment and a certain exhaustion.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2019, 04:29:22 PM »

I'm with Moog here; this has always struck me as filler material. I've never personally cared for it.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2019, 09:38:48 PM »

Nice to see this song getting the recognition it deserves.

I agree.  Today, Hold Me Tight is covered by countless Beatles tribute bands ranging from the very polished...

https://youtu.be/0lYdE6UtcBY

...to the no frills...

https://youtu.be/4JmqjBZqTo0

icon_good

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2019, 10:45:22 PM »

The song has had a lot of criticism of the years for being cliched and simple in its formula however personally I've always liked it. I feel it has some complications for such early songwriting by two young boys, I like the way it changes from major to minor key for the middle 8 and I like the staccato guitar phrases which are followed by the bass, quite clever if you think about it and innovative for the time.

I've always liked it too, Kev.  And for the same reasons you stated.  Quite a complex song that they had added to their live performance repertoire in 1962.  I wish we had those performances available today.  They were probably great!

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2019, 12:24:48 AM »

At the end of the bridge in particular the second one, there is a bit of a gaff where Paul sings ....it feels right NOW and John and George sing.... it feels alright SO in the background vocals. I also really like the way the song slows down at the end it reminds me of a train coming to a stop.... wonderful stuff I love it, I'm a bit dismayed that some of my fellow Beatle fans don't think much of the song as I think he's got a wonderful melody and is unusual in the way it is played rather than just strumming chords they went for something completely different.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2019, 12:34:36 AM »

Hey Baz whoever told Will Lee he could sing hold me tight was sadly mistaken he struggled through the whole thing to reach the notes and cheats by going falsetto at times , pretty terrible performance really.
The young girl is excruciating but I really like her  ha2ha
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2019, 01:45:56 AM »

At the end of the bridge in particular the second one, there is a bit of a gaff where Paul sings ....it feels right NOW and John and George sing.... it feels alright SO in the background vocals. I also really like the way the song slows down at the end it reminds me of a train coming to a stop.... wonderful stuff I love it, I'm a bit dismayed that some of my fellow Beatle fans don't think much of the song as I think he's got a wonderful melody and is unusual in the way it is played rather than just strumming chords they went for something completely different.

Given some of the respected members of this here forum rate it I shall listen to it again more carefully to see what I might have missed.

I should add that calling it filler doesn’t mean I hate it or think it’s total rubbish.  Beatle filler is still usually pretty good quality. It’s just up against some of the other originals on the album it passed me by. Little Child was similar.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 01:50:43 AM by Moogmodule »

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2019, 01:50:08 AM »

There’s going to be so many middle aged people in a few years really regretting committing their performances to permanent public display
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 05:28:24 AM by Moogmodule »

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2019, 01:58:21 AM »

Given some of the respected members of this here forum rate it I shall listen to it again more carefully to see what I might have missed.

I should add that calling it filler doesn’t mean I hate it or think it’s total rubbish.  Beatle filler is still usually pretty good quality. It’s just up against some of the other originals on the album it passed me by. Little Child was similar.
haha no worries Moog there are Beatles songs that I really don't like one is Little Child lol ...Run for your life is another ...I guess I just like Hold me Tight there's something about the melody that I like and I love the way Paul sings it and the way George plays those riffs.
I never understood how The Beatles could put Little Child on an album and leave off a fabulous song like Bad to Me.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2019, 02:11:12 AM »

Well, she did apologize in advance. 

We've got to like her.  She's a Beatles fan singing, and liking, songs that were written decades before she was born...

https://youtu.be/W0YqR41smg4

icon_good

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2019, 02:19:00 AM »

Hey Baz whoever told Will Lee he could sing hold me tight was sadly mistaken he struggled through the whole thing to reach the notes and cheats by going falsetto at times , pretty terrible performance really.

I couldn't find a video of The Fab Four or The Analogues doing Hold Me Tight, Kev.   :(

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2019, 02:26:00 AM »

I really like this version

https://youtu.be/LhBwZZjI06I
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 02:27:53 AM by nimrod »
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2019, 02:29:24 AM »

Although I consider this song a filler tune and sloppily done and recorded, I've always liked it.  Its get the toes tapping.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 1.343 seconds with 75 queries.