Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BBC gig 1964  (Read 2193 times)

BBC gig 1964
« on: November 03, 2007, 06:08:22 PM »

Can anyone help with a question:

The Beatles performed a gig at the BBC (I think) when they returned from the States in 1964. I've seen footage on TV and can remember scaffolding around the stage where people were standing. Does anyone know if there is footage on Youtube or somewhere? Or have anymore info?
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Bobber

Re: BBC gig 1964
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 07:10:47 PM »

Hi. Not sure what you mean. Can you give some more information and details?

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 07:25:45 PM »

My Mum went to a gig, she believes around Feb/March 1964, when the beatles returned from America, with PJ Proby and possibly Cilla Black. It was at the BBC studios in London. She got the tickets because her friend had a birthday on a particular date in February (that's how they were alloted?). I'm sure it was quite a seminal moment in TV for some reason.

There were platforms at the side of the stage where people stood and looked down on them playing and I can remember seeing that on TV.

Is this helping?

Bobber

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 07:45:38 PM »

The Beatles returned to the UK on Saturday 22 February 1964. On Sunday 23 they taped their second appearance on the variety show Big Night Out. But that was an ABC Television Production.

This is from that show:

uzUDAKFemHQ

Still, your description of 'looked down on them', it could be a bit later. The Shakespeare skit is part of that show. This is The Beatles playing Shout on that show, called Around The Beatles, from April 1964.

ss0RBCzaBK8

Or this. Top Of The Pops from 19 March?

This is PJ Proby, introduced by the Beatles on a TOTP show. Date unknown.

w2mIgL51qkg

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 08:19:25 PM »

Hi, thanks for your comprehensive answers and clips but we're not sure that we've found a match yet! Bit more information - it could have been called 'From Us To You' and possibly recorded on 28th February 1964 and included about 10 songs.

Thanks again!

Bobber

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 08:48:44 PM »

From Us To You was a BBC Radio show around The Beatles. As far as I know, without an audience.

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 10:27:54 PM »

You were spot on with your Around the Beatles suggestion. We've watched a few songs on You Tube and the mum in question has confirmed it!

You know too much!

Do you know if and where I can get a dvd copy of this show?

Bobber

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 07:31:44 PM »

I don't think it's officially on dvd, but I might be wrong.

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 12:09:07 AM »

Not officially on DVD yet but you can pick up a boot of it. The official release (minus the Shakespere sketch and the other performers) was available some years back on a video rather confusingly called "The Beatles Live - Ready Steady Go! Special Edition".

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 51 queries.