Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Why did John walk away ?  (Read 3675 times)

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
Why did John walk away ?
« on: February 27, 2021, 02:12:15 AM »

Why do you think he walked away from music for 5 years in the mid 70s?
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
Re: Why did John walk away ?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2021, 05:45:48 AM »

I suppose I don’t see a lot of reason to doubt John’s own professed motivations; desire to spend time with a new baby to make up for his absent parenting of Julian and the freedom from needing to write and records hits on the music industry treadmill. On top of that he’d got his number 1 hit with Whatever Gets You Through the Night so he no longer had to prove himself as a solo artist. Having recently read the Ken Womack book on Lennon it does seem he was suffering from some form of writers block or at least what he saw as a dearth of inspiration. So he started recording again when he felt his inspiration had returned.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2021, 09:57:59 PM »

^^^^

That pretty much sums up how I see it as well.

Did John and Julian ever reach any sort of rapprochement, I wonder? I recall reading that John made more of an effort to include Julian in family outings with him, Yoko, and Sean, but if I remember correctly from Cynthia's book John Julian still never felt truly comfortable with his father.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2021, 03:04:46 AM »

^^^^

That pretty much sums up how I see it as well.

Did John and Julian ever reach any sort of rapprochement, I wonder? I recall reading that John made more of an effort to include Julian in family outings with him, Yoko, and Sean, but if I remember correctly from Cynthia's book John Julian still never felt truly comfortable with his father.

John’s relationship with Julian, or lack of it, is really sad. Apparently in his will initially he left everything to Yoko and Sean. Julian had to take legal action. 

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2021, 06:56:51 PM »

John’s relationship with Julian, or lack of it, is really sad. Apparently in his will initially he left everything to Yoko and Sean. Julian had to take legal action.

I wasn't aware of that. That is sad. Poor Julian.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2021, 08:32:23 PM »

We should also acknowledge Macca’s role in getting John back in the game again. John really liked  Coming Up and that is considered one factor in bringing him out of recording retirement. Perhaps that competitive streak was diminished for a few years but reignited when he heard a Paul song he liked.

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2021, 03:12:21 PM »

Maybe it was because he had only 5 years to live.  Maybe there is some sort of mystical underpinning to our lives that we are not conscious of.  This is a very mysterious universe in which we live, IMO.
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2022, 11:42:08 PM »

Only $30,000? Bargain

I do love (not) reading random comments on Beatles articles in the general media. Did you know the Beatles are ….overrated? What a hot take. Never heard that before.

People calling popular and critically acclaimed artists overrated is always a favourite of mine. To my ears it says, I know the critics like them and they’re really popular, but I don’t like them therefore they’re overrated, as I know better.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2022, 01:09:48 PM »

^^^^

I hadn't looked at the comments until you posted that. Love how the first thread starts off with "The Beatles were lame."  ha2ha  So insightful.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2022, 08:32:00 PM »

Is Paul putting this letter up for auction?
I can stay till it's time to go

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2022, 10:27:53 PM »

Is Paul putting this letter up for auction?

That particular article doesn't specify, but a Rolling Stone article mentions that John sent it to Melody Maker and asked that they publish it, so I'm assuming it wasn't actually Paul who put it up for auction.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2022, 12:02:21 AM »

So it's a letter that John wrote and sent to Melody Maker Magazine more than 50 years ago which is just surfacing today not long after Peter Jackson's Get Back video was released and is being auctioned on the Gotta Have Rock and Roll website.

Anyway, save your money.  Here's the letter...

Is that John's signature?
I can stay till it's time to go

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2022, 06:36:47 AM »

Yeah it’s John’s signature. It’s the same as on letters around the same time. This letter is in Hunter Davies The John Lennon Letters book. Along with heaps of others of course. John was a constant letter writer it seems. They range from sweet and kind to angry and vitriolic.  Just like John I guess.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2022, 08:00:32 AM »

I've always been curious about John's signature as it changed over the years—well, the first name, anyway. It's probably of little significance, but interesting nonetheless:

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2022, 08:55:23 AM »

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2022, 05:26:58 PM »

Bidding is currently up to $56,000 and the auction has ended yet

Wow. I can't imagine having that kind of money to spend on a letter, regardless of who wrote it. Even if I did have that level of expendable income, I doubt I'd spend it this way. But to each his own, I guess.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2022, 11:52:30 PM »

Yes you either just think it’s worth paying $56,000 for for what you get from having it. Or you think in a few years time someone will pay $100,000 for it. Actually it’s more than $56,000. There’s a 25% premium charged by the auction site. So you’re up for $70,000.

I’ve been following the auction on the website. It was supposed to close at 9:15 Friday evening US eastern time. But it’s still going as any bid placed on any of the hundreds of lots in the last 15 minutes resets the end of the entire auction time back to 15 minutes. It might take days to finish.

It’s interesting to see what is bid on and what isn’t. Some minimum bids and expectations just seem way to high.  They want $200,000 minimum for one of the old Abbey road recording units. I mean, that would be cool, but not for that price. They must hope a museum will buy it.

There’s a White Album and Abbey Road signed by all four Beatles. Both had price expectations of $150,000 to $200,000. Which seems crazy to me. And clearly to everyone else. Neither have come near that although the White Album is up to $71,000. Abbey Road is languishing comparatively at $39,000.

I’m not sure what happens to items that aren’t bid on or don’t meet the reserve price. Perhaps the owners just withdraw it or maybe hold it over to the next auction.

There’s more than just Beatle stuff. Kiss have the most items of a single act in the auction. One of the highest bids is on Bob Dylan’s signed handwritten lyrics to Just Like a Woman. These are up to $91,000. I was actually slightly tempted by a very cool poster from a Dylan Baez concert in 1965. It’s something I’d probably pay a couple of hundred dollars for. Not US$900 which is the minimum bid.

So an interesting intro into the world of memorabilia auctions for me. I think I’ll stick to listening to the music and reading books.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2022, 02:06:40 AM »

Yes you either just think it’s worth paying $56,000 for for what you get from having it. Or you think in a few years time someone will pay $100,000 for it. 

Interesting. I hadn't thought of it that way.

Actually it’s more than $56,000. There’s a 25% premium charged by the auction site. So you’re up for $70,000.

Wow. That seems awfully high. It seems like that cost should be passed on to the seller, not the buyer. But then, I don't know much about auctions.

The closest I ever came to this was shelling out a rather paltry $90 on eBay, if I recall correctly, back in 2004 for an out-of-print biography of Titanic's Second Officer Lightoller. And I just now checked Amazon—their sellers have copies for $95. Not exactly an impressive appreciation.  ;) But then, I have no intention of ever parting ways with any of my ocean liner books.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2022, 09:40:29 PM »

Bidding is currently up to $56,000 and the auction has ended yet

Looks like that was the final selling price.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 2.95 seconds with 74 queries.