Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Great song & drumming by Ringo  (Read 6359 times)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: Great song & drumming by Ringo
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2019, 06:35:40 PM »

I can stay till it's time to go
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2019, 07:04:18 PM »

Good points Moog, l really can't listen to that Ringo track, way too clinical for me, but I'm a dinosaur, it's only my opinion.
 ;D
I still like the remastered stuff though, brings clarity to real recordings.

I dont know.  Pro Tools has its place.  The Beatles sure could have used it on some of their recordings throughout the years.  I enjoy some warts and blemishes to a point, but if something can be improved upon, why not do it?

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2019, 10:56:46 PM »

I dont know.  Pro Tools has its place.  The Beatles sure could have used it on some of their recordings throughout the years.  I enjoy some warts and blemishes to a point, but if something can be improved upon, why not do it?

Oh yeah I really like pro tools.  And for home studios it’s a boon. The quality of sound you can get with even rudimentary equipment is incredible. You can certainly use it and other software like any recording system and use the features to tweak here and there. Just have to be careful not to not to fall in love with all the things you can do and sap the life out of the music.

I think also people now have different expectations of recorded music. Genres like the various dance genres are usually fully synthesised so the sound is always pristine and every note precisely in its place. Not surprising when you can hear music with that clarity people start to expect it in all music they listen to. So it’s not just the equipment, many people want to hear that sound.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2019, 11:35:01 PM »

To me, the sound I hear playing my original, and now over 50- year old Beatles LPs on my mid-level stereo system and turntable is the sound I enjoy most.  The warmth of the sound provided by well-cared for vinyl LPs is so much more enjoyable than my 30 year-old CDs.

Remastering is okay with me too and I do like my 2009 STEREO and MONO box sets for casual listening.  But I don't like the idea of remixing.  I prefer to hear what I know The Beatles heard when they attending the engineering sessions at the studios.  Remixing can go overboard as I think it did with the Love album which I listened to once and has since been collecting thirteen years of dust on my shelf.  I know it won awards and Paul and Ringo said they liked it but I don't care for it at all.
I can stay till it's time to go

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2019, 12:35:42 AM »

It's all down to personal opinion really.
But I don't like the way new music sounds it's too sterile, there's a lot of new progressive rock out, it sounds like they've used all 390 tracks lol
I was just listening before to kid Charlemagne by steely Dan it's a real pleasure to listen to the drums and bass player on that song , they were playing an awesome groove, its just so nice to know that they were actually playing it all through the song and it wasn't computerized.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2019, 02:14:00 AM »

Bands in the 60's had Pro Tools back then, but it was called The Wrecking Crew.

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2019, 12:52:24 AM »

tkitna:  Well, I re-listened to the songs you listed which you stated Ringo had executed rolls in.  I think I should clarify how I think of rolls, which is in a strictly technical way.  I took lessons for a few years and progressed to self-study for a few more years before I abandoned the instrument.

Basically, I don't hear Ringo playing the types of rolls that I played under formal instruction.  Ringo is very good at the fills he creates but they don't approximate rolls to me.  I think his fills vary in tempo/speed as fits the song.  I can't say that I really hear 32nd or 64th notes in them.  One song that comes close is "Nowhere Man" in which it seems he does a few quiet closed stroke rolls on the snare drum.  He doesn't call attention to these and you probably don't hear them unless you are someone who focuses on listening to the drummer.

I enjoyed listening to the songs again.  I am surprised by the recording differences between "She loves you" and "Sie Liebt Dich."  The Beatles vocals are very prominent on the latter.  One thing about their use of stereo (stereo on Sie liebt Dich; She loves you was mono), they seemed to favor the right channel.  I think for that era stereo was seen as the separation of channels in which you would input various parts of the song.  Later on, I think people starting recognizing that spreading sound across both channels was preferable because it created a better fuller sound.  This is just my opinion though.  I could give more examples (of which there are many from the 1960s) but I don't feel up to typing so much right now.  It's probably not worth it anyway.

Thanks for reading and have a nice evening.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 12:58:01 AM by Loco Mo »
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2019, 04:01:23 PM »

I just noticed Ringo has an interesting drum pattern that resembles a roll on the remix of Oh, Darling (the Take 4 version).  It's very interesting to really hear Ringo's drumming so clearly or better than I've ever heard it before.

The only reason I'm hesitant to label some of his stuff as rolls is because they don't seem fast enough because I can hear the gaps between the single alternating strokes he does even though, I guess, they're fast enough to be called rolls.  Maybe it's just the speed issue with me.

Otherwise, I acknowledge that many of his fills are rolls.

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2019, 11:32:53 PM »

I don't think I've ever really "listened" to Ringo's drumming until I started reading all the comments about him on this Forum.  It makes me appreciate him all the more.

This guy just instinctively knew what to play for any type of song the Beatles came up with.  I don't know how he did it.  Maybe it's some kind of rare talent or gift like people who can play piano without ever taking a lesson.  They somehow find all the notes and remember them and know how to put them together.  Maybe Ringo was like that with the drums.  I heard it said that Buddy Rich could play anything he heard by another drummer after a single listen.  Maybe Ringo had a similar ability.  I don't know if this means he could've played like John Bonham, but who knows?  It doesn't seem that Ringo had any interest in grandstanding as a drummer.  He just wanted to play along and he did so very effectively and tastefully.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2019, 03:31:25 PM »

Buddy Rich could play anything any other drummer could just because he was that good.  Ringo has his own style and isnt technically good enough to do that. 

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2019, 05:24:10 PM »

tkitna:  I was trying to compare abilities.  Rich could copy flawlessly.  Starr could create spontaneously.  I don't think Starr had to figure stuff out too much, he just sort of felt his beats and fills.

To this day, I am still amazed by Rich.  Recently, I was listening to a version of "Apples."  God, what a monster this guy was. IMO a lot of what he did was the rudiments of drumming.  He had those mastered.  Military drummers have got to love Rich for that reason alone!

tkitna:  I wish I could listen to Starr play when he's alone with himself.  When I was a drummer, I used to solo while solo.  That involved a lot of rolling around the set including the cymbals.  I'd love to hear what Starr sounds like when he does that.  Hard to believe he wouldn't but then he's said more than once that he never practices.

Pothos

• A Beginning
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2019, 09:57:46 PM »

Did Ringo ever routinely play drum solo's during his Beatles shows. It was something he did when he was with Rory Storm and the Hurricanes.

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2019, 11:33:59 PM »

Pothos:  I didn't think he did.  You'd think somebody would have said something about how he sounded but I've never read any comments about anyone hearing a Ringo solo at a live concert.

I think the live audiences wanted to hear the Beatles sing so they probably wouldn't have wanted to listen to a drum solo.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2019, 02:54:41 AM »

I think the live audiences wanted to hear the Beatles sing so they probably wouldn't have wanted to listen to a drum solo.

I think the size of an audience who wants to hear any drum solo is fairly small.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2019, 04:43:07 AM »

I think the size of an audience who wants to hear any drum solo is fairly small.
Unless it's Jack dejohnette  :)
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2019, 02:06:53 PM »

I'm a drummer and I even hate drum solos.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2019, 11:20:05 PM »

I'm a drummer and I even hate drum solos.

Ginger Baker was the worst with Toad, went on for 20 minutes.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2019, 02:29:52 AM »

Mind you I pretty much feel the same about long  meandering guitar solos too.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2019, 07:20:16 AM »

Mind you I pretty much feel the same about long  meandering guitar solos too.

Some are just boring other tell a story such as the one in hotel California, I can listen to that also love Clapton's at the end of White Room.. Georges solos where I was interesting I thought
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2019, 07:55:26 AM »

Some are just boring other tell a story such as the one in hotel California, I can listen to that also love Clapton's at the end of White Room.. Georges solos where I was interesting I thought

For sure. Hotel California is a a great guitar piece. I’m thinking more of the live solos from some bands that just went on and on.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.491 seconds with 80 queries.