Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Spice Girls concert sells out in 38 seconds  (Read 2115 times)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Spice Girls concert sells out in 38 seconds
« on: October 02, 2007, 12:22:15 AM »

How sad is this?

The group won four Brits, including a lifetime achievement award

London's Spice Girls reunion concert has sold out in 38 seconds after fans were notified tickets had gone on sale, the show's promoters have claimed. More than one million people in the UK registered for the concert, which takes place on 15 December at the O2 arena.
"It was a dramatic moment - the sales went live and there was a huge surge as fans bombarded the lines," said Ticketmaster's boss Chris Edmonds.
Two dates - 16 and 18 December - have been added to the tour.
A fourth London concert, on 2 January 2008, is also listed on Ticketmaster's website.
Tickets for the additional dates are currently being sold to fans, who were alerted to the sales by text and e-mail.
And tickets for the 15 December gig are already appearing on eBay - one for nearly £900.
The band's world tour kicks off in Canada on 2 December, and will visit San Jose, Shanghai and Cape Town.

The full line-up has not performed on stage since Ginger Spice Geri Halliwell quit in May 1998.
The reunion concerts have been put together by Simon Fuller, whose 19 company masterminded the group's global success more than a decade ago.
Under his guidance, the five-piece notched up a string of hits - including Wannabe and 2 Become 1 - while also capitalising on their fame with a stream of sponsorship deals.
Emma Bunton, Melanie Brown, Melanie Chisholm, Victoria Adams and Geri Halliwell quickly became household names - although they were better known as Baby, Scary, Sporty, Posh and Ginger.
They sold more than 55 million records around the world, and even starred in a film, Spice World.
Halliwell quit in 1998 citing "differences", leaving the band to complete a sold-out world tour as a foursome.
Since 2001 each member has since pursued solo careers with varying degrees of success, while Posh Spice has become better known as fashion icon Victoria Beckham.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
Re: Spice Girls concert sells out in 38 seconds
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 12:44:04 AM »

That's stupid that they won those awards. I like the Spice Girls and all, but they don't really have any artistic merit.

I would still go to a concert if i had the money, though.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 12:55:44 AM »

Don't begrudge the mentally challenged their entertainment. They need something to do on a Saturday night too you know!

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 01:02:23 AM »

Besides, it's the UK tk. They're a different people.  ;)  ;)  ;)

We've got Van Halen selling out over here. It's two different worlds isn't it?

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 02:14:00 AM »

It's all P.R...the comeback has been built up for ages. Would be easy to only issue fewer tickets ( Say 2/3rds of intended for eg.) and then announce more dates after the 'sell out'...Seems a bit engineered to me. Bet there has been a lot of bungs to make all this happen...My theory anyway. lol

Still, I'm sure their bank managers won't be complaining.  ;D
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 04:41:48 AM »

Quote from: 216
Besides, it's the UK tk. They're a different people.  ;)  ;)  ;)

We've got Van Halen selling out over here. It's two different worlds isn't it?

Sure is.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 04:47:30 AM »

Don't begrudge the mentally challenged their entertainment. They need something to do on a Saturday night too you know!

;D ;D ;D

I don't think it's sad at all. If there are people who want to see them, then fine. I think the lifetime achievement award, after 2 albums, is a bit over the top. But then, 'The Brits' are worthless anyway.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 06:30:26 AM »

I HOPE  you know I was joking about the UK thing. I mean, my God, we can hardly compete on the music front with you guys! That's a no brainer. Besides, we've got Justin Timberlake selling out all over the place here. Just as sad to me. But like you said, if people wanna see them...

BlueMeanie

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 06:48:13 AM »

I HOPE  you know I was joking about the UK thing. I mean, my God, we can hardly compete on the music front with you guys! That's a no brainer. Besides, we've got Justin Timberlake selling out all over the place here. Just as sad to me. But like you said, if people wanna see them...

Don't worry, I got the joke! :)

The only problem I have with The Spice Girls tour is the same one that I have with many reformed bands. I feel a bit cheated when old bands reform and do the world tour, but can't be bothered to make a new record. The Eagles have been dining out on past glories for years. And Roger Waters toured last year, but hasn't put out an album of new material since 1992. If I was a big fan of either I'd expect some new material in return for my loyalty.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007, 09:04:18 AM »

The Brit awards are: 1997: Best video: "Say You
don't follow leaders

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2007, 09:27:35 AM »

i dont think they got the life time achievement based on there music alone, they paved the way for all girl groups, after they came the charts were flooded with girl groups like destiny child, girls aloud, sugababes,......... and also did a lot for british pop as groups like take that, boyzone had split.

Im not a fan but at a time when the charts were being dominated by one hit wonders, they were fresh and they were very iconic

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2007, 09:34:18 AM »

Please - it wasn't a Life Time Achievement Award. It was for Outstanding Contribution to the British Music Industry. Something all together different (and far more palatable.)
http://brits.co.uk/winners/2000/index.php
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2007, 09:34:39 AM »

I see it's not a 'Lifetime Achievement' award, it's an 'Outstanding Contribution' award, which is more understandable. Actually, The Brits have produced some memorable moments over the years; the Mick Fleetwood/Sam Fox disaster, Geri Halliwell literally falling out of her dress, and one of the greatest pieces of television in history, Jarvis wagging his arse at Michael Jackson!

Bobber

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2007, 09:35:51 AM »

Quote from: 373

Sure is.

Britney?  ;D

BlueMeanie

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2007, 09:38:34 AM »

Quote from: 63

Britney?  ;D

What a role model she's turned out to be. Now her kids have been taken away from her, and it looks like she's going to prison. Queue suicide attempt.

I just saw the film of her on MTV, bloody hilarious!

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2007, 09:38:50 AM »

Quote from: 483
I see it's not a 'Lifetime Achievement' award, it's an 'Outstanding Contribution' award, which is more understandable. Actually, The Brits have produced some memorable moments over the years; the Mick Fleetwood/Sam Fox disaster, Geri Halliwell literally falling out of her dress, and one of the greatest pieces of television in history, Jarvis wagging his arse at Michael Jackson!

Not to mention Chumbawamba throwing a bucket of ice cold water over the Deputy Prime Minister. Bet that doesn't happen at the Emmy's. Anarchy in the Uk.....makes ya proud.
don't follow leaders

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2007, 09:40:09 AM »

oops sorry i had read youre post and still typed it, its early in the morn (sleep3)

BlueMeanie

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2007, 09:40:40 AM »

The Spice Girls and The Gallagher's was always good for a laugh as well. 'Get up here Liam, if ya think yer ard enough'! Quality!

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2007, 09:41:46 AM »

Poor Britney. She was always going to hit rough water when it came time to ditch The Virgin Teen image. What to do???? I don't think Drunken Slut was necessarily the right move. Still, she made some fine songs.
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2007, 09:46:54 AM »

Quote from: 185
Poor Britney. She was always going to hit rough water when it came time to ditch The Virgin Teen image. What to do???? I don't think Drunken Slut was necessarily the right move. Still, she made some fine songs.

But she does it so well, it's almost believable.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.594 seconds with 78 queries.