Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: "Let It Be" WHEN?  (Read 26211 times)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: "Let It Be" WHEN?
« Reply #100 on: July 27, 2008, 03:35:12 AM »

Geoff,

The outtakes were a lot of footage of rehearsals not used in the theatrical release.  One part I remember well was extended footage of Paul criticizing George on his guitar playing leading George to say:  "OK, I'll play whatever you want me to play. Or I won't play at all if you don't want me to play. Whatever it is that'll please you, I'll do it." (or something to that extent)

The last time I looked at the DVD was about a year ago.  I'll have another look this weekend.
I can stay till it's time to go
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #101 on: July 27, 2008, 03:54:04 AM »

Quote from: 59
Geoff,

The outtakes were a lot of footage of rehearsals not used in the theatrical release.  One part I remember well was extended footage of Paul criticizing George on his guitar playing leading George to say:  "OK, I'll play whatever you want me to play. Or I won't play at all if you don't want me to play. Whatever it is that'll please you, I'll do it." (or something to that extent)

The last time I looked at the DVD was about a year ago.  I'll have another look this weekend.

I think that bit, or an excerpt or a reference to it , is on the Anthology, too: I'll have to go have a look as well - thanks.

By the way, here are some comments by Neil Aspinall on Let It Be and other matters from early 2007:

Beatles Ready For Downloading

By ROGER FRIEDMAN
Fox News
February 12, 2007

The Beatles songs

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #102 on: July 27, 2008, 03:58:27 AM »

Quote from: 1161

I think that bit, or an excerpt or a reference to it , is on the Anthology, too: I'll have to go have a look as well.
Right.  The DVD outtake is extended footage of the same.  It wasn't easy to watch.
I can stay till it's time to go

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #103 on: July 27, 2008, 04:14:34 AM »

This- apparently- is the film edit of that scene (runs about 2:10):

hoPWrooRSzY

Not pleasant; no.

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #104 on: July 27, 2008, 04:24:39 PM »

Well, guys...........thanks for the info and help.  And my DVD of "Let It Be" must have been copied from a laser disc because there are no lines above or below that you get from a tape recorded version.  And, yes........it's very hard to watch.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #105 on: July 27, 2008, 05:00:04 PM »

Controversail my arse , it's just four guys not getting on so well .
I saw it on TV a few times in the 70's early 80's and have a copy on VHS .
Sounds to me like they just want to build up the myth around it , so it will sell by the shed load when they do release it .
They need to get all The Beatles product out and stop drip feeding the fans .
This hot weather is making me grumpy (thumbsdown)(teeth1)

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #106 on: July 27, 2008, 06:31:11 PM »

Yep, I know...............the "Powers That Be" always dangling a "morsel" of "Beatle-treat" in front of the starving fans.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #107 on: July 27, 2008, 06:57:51 PM »

Quote from: 971
Controversail my arse , it's just four guys not getting on so well .

Very true, and neither unusual nor remarkable. But if they let this film out again as it is, it'll contradict the image created by the Anthology series that The Beatles, as Kevin said earlier, "broke up because Twickenham Studios were a bit chilly." They'll have to revise their own revisionism, and in so doing they'll once again draw attention to a period they'd just as soon forget, or at least not have to answer questions about.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #108 on: July 28, 2008, 12:53:48 AM »

Npo_omEC1Z8

great clarity on this vid...

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #109 on: July 28, 2008, 12:57:24 AM »

and here
aaBsa2eU0gg

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #110 on: July 28, 2008, 01:26:34 AM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbpNIhoGtX0&amp;NR=1" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbpNIhoGtX0&amp;NR=1</a>

WBJ1JPTjmO4

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #111 on: July 31, 2008, 12:51:50 PM »

More anonymous "sources" on why we haven't seen Let It Be yet. I can't find the original Daily Express link, and the fact that the story originated with "the world's greatest newspaper" doesn't encourage me, either. There's nothing here that we haven't already guessed, but for what it's worth:

Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr Prevent Release of Let It Be

THE two surviving Beatles, Sir Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr, have stopped the release of Beatles film Let It Be, nearly 40 years after it was made.

The 1970 documentary reveals tensions between the Fab Four - Paul, Ringo and the late John Lennon and George Harrison - shortly before their break-up, and insiders at the band's record company, Apple, claim the two surviving members do not want it re-released.

A source said: "There has been talk of Let It Be finally being released but now there has been a change of heart.

"The Beatles are still a massive global brand and it's felt it won't be helped if the public sees the darker side of the story.

"Neither Paul nor Ringo would feel comfortable publicising a film showing The Beatles getting on each other's nerves."

The film was directed by Michael Lindsay-Hogg and shows the group recording the album of the same name, which eventually became their final studio release.

The group's internal relations were at an all-time low during the making of the LP and recording sessions were fraught with internal squabbles.

George Harrison took exception to McCartney criticising his guitar playing, while John Lennon appeared disinterested during the entire process - preferring to spend his time with his wife Yoko Ono.

Although the LP was their final release, the group were so disappointed with Let It Be they recorded masterpiece Abbey Road afterwards and released it before the much-maligned record.

The source added to Britain's Daily Express newspaper: "People like to imagine The Beatles were a happy ship but the reality towards the end was very different as this film shows.

"There's all sorts of extra footage showing more squabbles but it's unlikely it will ever see the light of day in Paul and Ringo's lifetime."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,24105878-2902,00.html

Revolver42

• Getting Better
« Reply #112 on: July 31, 2008, 02:03:45 PM »

My friend gave me a copy of it 2 weeks ago for my b-day.  I pushed play and expected fireworks.  The only thing close was George getting shoked by the mic (just kidding).  There was the scene w/George and Paul butting heads a bit, but nothing on there is controversial.  I did enjoy the movie quite well actually.  I like Paul singing Besame Mucho,Paul and Ringo playing piano together and Ringo and George working thru Octopus's Garden.  Of course the rooftop concert is good too.
...And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #113 on: July 31, 2008, 05:07:13 PM »

It`s a pity we can`t see the Let It be film. As for me I don`t understand why Paul and Ringo should withhold the release of the film and pretend that nobody knows about the tensions within the band. The whole world knows about them! Then why did they disband? Because of the tensions! Besides the film ends with the rooftop concert, and this fact certainly smoothes out the squabbling, which the viewers would see at the beginning of the film.

« Reply #114 on: August 07, 2008, 04:56:57 AM »

Abbeyrd's Beatles Page got an exclusive comment July 31, 2008 from an Apple spokesman countering the stories that say Paul and Ringo have stopped the release of "Let It Be" on DVD. "We do have plans to release it some time in the future," is what Apple told us.

http://abbeyrd.best.vwh.net/news/725letitbeagain.html

steve
Abbeyrd's Beatles Page

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #115 on: August 10, 2008, 03:04:00 PM »

Quote from: 1499
Abbeyrd's Beatles Page got an exclusive comment July 31, 2008 from an Apple spokesman countering the stories that say Paul and Ringo have stopped the release of "Let It Be" on DVD. "We do have plans to release it some time in the future," is what Apple told us.

http://abbeyrd.best.vwh.net/news/725letitbeagain.html

steve
Abbeyrd's Beatles Page

Thanks for the info and commentary; apparently the Express story deserved even less than the grudging interest and credit I gave to it. I think the conclusion is that Let It Be, like the Hollywood Bowl, the remaining Capitol albums, and maybe even a new remastered catalog, is on Apple's agenda, but on hold pending the resolution of personal objections by one or more of the Beatles or their executors and a decision about how precisely to re-release it.

Personally, I'd issue Let It Be in its original form with a second disc containing the rooftop concert and a new documentary of archival footage from the sessions and interviews that would be as truthful or as much of a whitewash about the circumstances of the project as Apple cares to sanction. If Apple has concerns about how Let It Be might be received today by people who don't already know the story or by journalists who might want to manufacture one, they might also consider re-releasing the film in conjunction with a re-release of Magical Mystery Tour or perhaps as part of a box set that contained all the Beatles movies; as an old political hand I know that one way of disguising bad news is to distract attention by putting it out as one item in a big heaping pile of news (or non-news, often enough). I like the box set idea myself; it could contain A Hard Day's Night, Help!, Magical Mystery Tour, Yellow Submarine, Let It Be, and maybe even the Shea Stadium show. Of course, there would be complaints from customers about having to buy extra copies of films they already have, but that too keeps attention away from old Let It Be dramas, and Apple could assuage grievances by promising to issue the films separately later.

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #116 on: August 28, 2008, 01:17:15 AM »

Quote from: 1393
It`s a pity we can`t see the Let It be film. As for me I don`t understand why Paul and Ringo should withhold the release of the film and pretend that nobody knows about the tensions within the band. The whole world knows about them! Then why did they disband? Because of the tensions! Besides the film ends with the rooftop concert, and this fact certainly smoothes out the squabbling, which the viewers would see at the beginning of the film.

a link to watch the movie.........
<a href="http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzMzNzM5ODg=.html" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzMzNzM5ODg=.html</a>

Bobber

« Reply #117 on: October 03, 2008, 01:47:22 PM »

Bill DeYoung: What about the "Let it Be" DVD? Years ago, Neil was saying it was being readied.

Yoko Ono: (laughing) You know, life is a long time. And I hope you have a very long one, Bill.

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #118 on: October 07, 2008, 02:06:31 PM »

I don't think "Let It Be" is that controversial or shocking.  I don't enjoy the bickering but the worst part is probably the apathy among most of the members.  As others have said, though, the film is just telling a story that Beatles fans already know.  I already own the film and outtakes as VHS bootlegs but I'd like to own a remastered DVD version someday.  I just wish Apple (or the surviving members) would quit being so silly and stop dragging their feet on this.  (angry1)

Ged

• A Beginning
« Reply #119 on: October 07, 2008, 03:13:24 PM »

I watched it last weekend on my blag DVD copy - good quality though. Considering the obvious tensions between Paul and George and with Yoko being there, resulting in Paul bringing Linda in, there are some good vibe moments with Paul and John laughing during Two of us, John and Yoko's dance sequence during George's song and the lively rooftop concert with ad libs, quips and George really stomping that foot during get back. Yes, Paul did come across as a bit of **** but just liek during MMT after Brian's death, he had plans to go out live and naked and was just trying to hold 'John's' group together. Most older Beatles fans have at least seen it if not cuirrently owning a copy of it so I don't see what harm it's going to do to their credentials except to add bucketfuls of money to their already swollen coffers.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Page created in 0.418 seconds with 88 queries.