Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: The Beatles and Russia  (Read 895 times)

Bobber

The Beatles and Russia
« on: August 21, 2007, 09:12:13 AM »

Found this:

Russian artist celebrates The Beatles' unifying force

A NEW sculpture by Russian artist Nikolay Rogatnev is to be officially unveiled at The Beatles Story at Liverpool

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
Re: The Beatles and Russia
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 01:54:51 PM »

I went to Russia two summers ago to visit my friend M. She arranged a family dinner for many of her friends to meet her foreign guests. Since we spoke virtually no Russian and many of them spoke very little English, there was a lot of smiling without much conversation-- until the subject of the Paul McCartney concert came up. This was the one in St. Petersburg in 2004. The whole city center shut down that night, because all the people who couldn't fit into Palace Square were sitting on rooftops and crowding all around, listening. M. by good fortune was 20 feet from the stage, and was able to show us (when we went touring) how big the crowds were.

Anyway, we didn't have much of a common language--but we all could sing! So after dinner the whole group sang Paul McCartney songs for at least half an hour. Great fun. It is a lovely memory for me, and demonstrates how music can reach across cultures and bring people together. (All M's friends are great singers and harmonizers, too; it must be that Russian folk song heritage.) ;)  

Not quite what Bobber was asking for, but I can relay second-hand how excited my Russian friends were to have Paul visit them in person at last, and how lasting that good impression was on the city. Cheers.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Bobber

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 02:23:15 PM »

Great story Marie. It goods food to the idea that The Beatles were/are popular in Eastern Europe.

Whoever

• Getting Better
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 03:35:51 PM »

That is incredible. What a briliant find Bobber. I've always wanted to go there and one day I shall.

Bobber

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 07:46:51 AM »

Quote from: 779
That is incredible. What a briliant find Bobber.

Don't mention it.

Octie

• A Thousand Pages
  • It's sunshine life for me...
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 12:11:52 PM »

Well... I'm originally from Russia, but... not from the Cold-War era  ;)
But according to my Mum it was quite hard to come by Beatles albums in shops, so you would get them from people coming from overseas to Russia. For example, international students used to sell Beatles records to Russian students. Stuff like that.

Also, there's the Paul McCartney Live at the Red Square DVD, where people talk about the Beatles and Russia. Back in the days, you could get in trouble if you were caught listening to to the Beatles. Also, Band on the Run was banned for a while.

But still, the Beatles were much loved in Russia. My Mum used to listen to them all the time as a girl... even while doing her homework!  ;)  ;D And that's lucky, coz K_E and I would probably never have become Beatles fans if it wasn't for her introducing us to their music  :)
I'd ask my friends to come and see... an Octopus's Garden with me ^___^

Page created in 2.653 seconds with 47 queries.