Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 43

Author Topic: What have you seen on YouTube recently?  (Read 115151 times)

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
Re: What have you seen on YouTube recently?
« Reply #660 on: July 25, 2021, 09:49:23 PM »

C’mon. The guy used antlers in all his decorating! What’s not to like?

But the Beast/Prince had that amazing library. That's pretty hard to top! ;D  It would win me over, that's for sure.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #661 on: July 26, 2021, 09:20:41 AM »

But the Beast/Prince had that amazing library. That's pretty hard to top! ;D  It would win me over, that's for sure.

But..but..

Antlers!!!!

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #662 on: July 26, 2021, 06:32:29 PM »

ha2ha  Well, I do have to admit, antlers are pretty cool. I've always had a thing for taxidermy.  ;) But books trump antlers!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 06:39:00 PM by Normandie »

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #663 on: July 28, 2021, 02:14:22 AM »

—
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 05:06:43 AM by Normandie »

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #664 on: July 31, 2021, 11:20:25 PM »

This looks so fantastic—to me and other ship geeks, anyway. icon_love I'm not sure why I'm posting it here. Habit, I guess. And perhaps a fellow ocean liner aficionado is out there among the lurkers and guests.

I'm afraid to download this until I meet my current batch of deadlines. Only. . . is that the viewer gettng drawn in to the propellers at the end? <cringe>

Can't wait until Titanic: Honor and Glory comes out. And where is the Cunard series?  >:(

https://youtu.be/sXWnh-5K0fE
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 11:56:59 PM by Normandie »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #665 on: August 01, 2021, 01:45:04 AM »

^

Kathy, she looked majestic as the HMHS Britannic...

Pity her fate.   :(

I have a question about the Titanic.  Is it true that a fire started in one of her coal bunkers prior to her departure and continued to burn for several days into her maiden voyage?
I can stay till it's time to go

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #666 on: August 01, 2021, 11:40:27 AM »

Kathy, she looked majestic as the HMHS Britannic...

She certainly did.  :angel:

Pity her fate.   :(

Indeed. She never got to carry a paying passenger.  :(

I have a question about the Titanic.  Is it true that a fire started in one of her coal bunkers prior to her departure and continued to burn for several days into her maiden voyage?

Yes. Some scholars, noted ocean linter historian Senan Molony among them, believe that weakened her hull and contributed to the sinking, although not everyone agrees with that theory.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 11:55:27 AM by Normandie »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #667 on: August 01, 2021, 09:08:04 PM »

She certainly did.  :angel:

As you can imagine, I have an affinity for hospital ships.  It started when I was in elementary school and read about the USS Hope...

...and how she survived military attacks during World War II.

I also remember when the USS Consolation hospital ship was donated to Project HOPE...

...I was a youngster but I smiled when I saw that picture in the newspaper.  I even clipped the article to present it as my current events assignment in school.

Indeed. She never got to carry a paying passenger.  :(

But at least she saw a fair amount of service as a hospital ship during World War I.

Yes. Some scholars, noted ocean linter historian Senan Molony among them, believe that weakened her hull and contributed to the sinking, although not everyone agrees with that theory.

Thank-you for confirming that, Kathy.  That's even more reason, other than the insufficient number of lifeboats aboard, why the Titanic should not have sailed on April 10th.  I'm sure Captain Smith knew about the fire.  He should have considered his ship not seaworthy.  The captain of a ship is ultimately responsible for the safety of all souls aboard his vessel.  The same rule applies to the pilot of an aircraft.  The Pilot-in-Command determines if his aircraft is airworthy during during the pre-flight inspection and run-up prior to takeoff.  I remember once cancelling my planned flight when the engine of my aircraft did not pass the magneto check during run-up.  My passenger was disappointed but understood and accepted my decision when I explained the situation to her.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #668 on: August 01, 2021, 09:19:49 PM »

As you can imagine, I have an affinity for hospital ships.  It started when I was in elementary school and read about the USS Hope...

...I was a youngster but I smiled when I saw that picture in the newspaper.  I even clipped the article to present it as my current events assignment in school.

Yes, I can imagine your interest.  :)  Those are gorgeous images; I hadn't heard of either the Hope or the Consolation. I'll look them up.

As you can see, I've now changed my avatar to the Britannic. Any new users are going to think I can't keep my ocean liners straight.  ;)

Thank-you for confirming that, Kathy.  That's even more reason, other than the insufficient number of lifeboats aboard, why the Titanic should not have sailed on April 10th.  I'm sure Captain Smith knew about the fire.  He should have considered his ship not seaworthy. 

Well . . . I'm not sure he knew about it. And as coal fires were common on board ships of that era, I don't think it would have made the vessel not seaworthy. And the decision on lifeboats wasn't his to make; that was the Board of Trade's decision. Alexander Carlisle pleaded for more lifeboats but was rebuffed.

But I don't want to quibble.  ;)  Now, though, I'm more incentivized to get my ocean liner books unpacked and read the ones I haven't gotten to yet so I can refresh my memory.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 09:45:19 PM by Normandie »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #669 on: August 01, 2021, 10:47:09 PM »

Yes, I can imagine your interest.  :)  Those are gorgeous images; I hadn't heard of either the Hope or the Consolation. I'll look them up.

You'll enjoy reading about them, Kathy.  The red cross markings on the WWII USS Hope did not dissuade Japanese suicide pilots from attacking her.  And Project Hope (Health Opportunities for People Everywhere) has a very special history that continues until today.

As you can see, I've now changed my avatar to the Britannic. Any new users are going to think I can't keep my ocean liners straight.  ;)

;D   But I'd rather see her afloat.   ;)

Well . . . I'm not sure he knew about it. And as coal fires were common on board ships of that era, I don't think it would have made the vessel not seaworthy. And the decision on lifeboats wasn't his to make; that was the Board of Trade's decision. Alexander Carlisle pleaded for more lifeboats but was rebuffed.

But I don't want to quibble.  ;)  Now, though, I'm more incentivized to get my ocean liner books unpacked and read the ones I haven't gotten to yet so I can refresh my memory.

Neither do I, of course.  But it turned out to be not such a trivial matter.  At least rules were changed after the Titanic disaster.

Now didn't the Titanic almost collide with the SS City of New York as she departed Southampton...

It's a good thing that tugboat was there pulling with all her might!   :)

But maybe not.  A collision in the Southampton port would have prevented the disaster that occurred four days later.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #670 on: August 01, 2021, 10:48:09 PM »

This looks so fantastic—to me and other ship geeks, anyway. icon_love I'm not sure why I'm posting it here. Habit, I guess. And perhaps a fellow ocean liner aficionado is out there among the lurkers and guests.

I'm afraid to download this until I meet my current batch of deadlines. Only. . . is that the viewer gettng drawn in to the propellers at the end? <cringe>

Can't wait until Titanic: Honor and Glory comes out. And where is the Cunard series?  >:(

https://youtu.be/sXWnh-5K0fE

I watched the whole video with great interest.  There were two lifeboats that were lowered away prior to the captain giving the order.  The propellers were at water level and were spinning causing the lifeboats to be drawn into them with the loss of all aboard.  They were the only souls that were lost in the incident.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #671 on: August 02, 2021, 08:22:24 AM »

;D   But I'd rather see her afloat.   ;)

Well, you know, I wouldn't be me without a little drama.  :)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 09:06:57 AM by Normandie »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #672 on: August 02, 2021, 09:19:15 PM »

Well, you know, I wouldn't be me without a little drama.  :)

;D

Right.  It's good to see the Normandie afloat and making good headway.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #674 on: October 18, 2021, 02:51:44 AM »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0CQyNj7d-g" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0CQyNj7d-g</a>

Ashley Adamietz is in remission and doing well today.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #675 on: April 06, 2022, 08:29:45 PM »

This is Twitter, not YouTube, but. . .

This actually made me sad.  :(

https://twitter.com/RNCResearch/status/1511410171364454408?s=20&t=VSCew4zRQPuUAls5ODyYiw

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #676 on: April 07, 2022, 02:32:25 AM »

This actually made me sad.  :(

It made me laugh.   ;D

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #677 on: April 07, 2022, 02:49:04 AM »

It made me laugh.   ;D

Perhaps I'm too softhearted. All political vitriol aside—and I know you know my opinion of Biden, Barry  ;)—I really found it sad. It tugs at my heart.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #678 on: April 07, 2022, 03:00:40 AM »

He got just what he deserved...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_GeYgT58d0" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_GeYgT58d0</a>

Laugh laugh, I thought I'd die
It seemed so funny to me.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #679 on: April 09, 2022, 07:49:04 AM »

This came up on a play list the other day. I'd forgotten how much I loved this version of the song as a teenager.

https://youtu.be/OkxKkdWLL9o
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 43

Page created in 1.356 seconds with 75 queries.