Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 21

Author Topic: The Rolling Stones  (Read 66231 times)

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
Re: The Rolling Stones
« Reply #140 on: November 12, 2008, 08:27:45 PM »

^^^^^^^^Alright Marshall...........you got me "jones-ing" for some "Jones".............

mysterymagic

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #141 on: November 14, 2008, 06:00:53 PM »

The Rolling Stones are a truly awesome band.  Ladies And Gentleman The Rolling Stones is the best concert film ever made!  The Beggar's to Exile period of there music will never be equaled imo.

I don't think I could ever choose one song as my favorite because there are so many, maybe Jumping Jack Flash if I had to pick just one.  I always get the chills listening to Mick sing I Got the Blues from Sticky Fingers.  Great stuff.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #142 on: November 18, 2008, 11:47:04 PM »

right now I'm just obsessed with Miss Amanda Jones. I can't stop listening to it!
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #143 on: November 19, 2008, 01:37:07 AM »

Quote from: 1333
Sandra, if you want to branch out from the compilation CD (which one is it, by the way?  Hot Rocks or something else?), consider these 5 albums:  Beggars Banquet (Nineteen Sixty-eight), which besides Sympathy has great tracks like Stray Cat Blues, Parachute Woman, Street Fighting Man, Salt of the Earth (Keith's first vocal, I think, and he screeches out the first verse like some kind of constipated junky -- great moment);  Let it Bleed (1969) -- Shelter, the title track, You Can't Always Get What You Want, Midnight Rambler, You Got the Silver, Monkey Man; Get Yer Ya-Yas Out! ('70) -- the 1969 live show from Madison Square Garden, one of the great live records in rock, and the best live Stones recording; Sticky Fingers ('71), with Brown Sugar, B*tch, Wild Horses (I like this one myself), Sister Morphine, Dead Flowers, Moonlight Mile; and the Stones' true masterpiece, Exile on Main Street ('72).  A double album with not a weak moment on it.

These five consecutive LPs are the peak of the Stones' career.  I don't think that even the Beatles or Led Zeppelin strung together five straight albums of such high quality.

However -- it may take more than one listening to appreciate these records' greatness.  Exile on Main Street, which usually is ranked in the top 5 or 10 albums of all time (in various magazines/books/polls), was actually panned by many critics when it was released.  The Stones aren't as easily accessible as the Beatles; you may listen to one of these records and think 'eh, not that impressed,' but if you put in the time, it'll be worth it.  They'll grow on you.

I think the Rolling Stones are much more accessible than the Beatles. They're way more straight forward and stick to pretty much one genre. Rarely do they branch out like the Beatles did. And branching out sometimes throws fans off. Which is why I find the Stones to be more mainstream and bland overall. Pretty much just one singer, same formula, and a lot of show. I like them a lot when I'm in the mood and have been listening to them for years and years. Used to be more obsessed with them in my teen years. I have or have had most of those songs in some form or another over the year, so it's nothing new really. So I guess if they haven't grown on me in all these years, they're probably not going to ever. I mean, again, I like them, but only when I'm in the mood. I'm tired of most of their stuff. Hear it too much. Unlike the Beatles. Never get sick of them. And I've been a fan since I was like eight. Just a matter of personal taste I guess.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #144 on: November 19, 2008, 01:39:01 AM »

Quote from: 218
right now I'm just obsessed with Miss Amanda Jones. I can't stop listening to it!

That song always reminds me of that old eighties movie with Eric Stoltz. Cool song though. Cool movie too.

« Reply #145 on: December 22, 2008, 12:33:37 PM »

My Fave song at the moment seems to be (worryingly), Paint it black. My favourite part is the Rocky chorus, not the indian style verses.

« Reply #146 on: December 22, 2008, 01:40:27 PM »

well I always used to hate to step in this thread, because I think The Rolling Stones became more sell-outs than I thought

makes me puke...
nZBmhEMFdl0

mick and keith are just bigheaded rock stars. what they are made good for music over the last thirty years? through those 30 years their highest song in charts was a "start me up"! wtf that song is weak and weird, lol. Brian Jones got kicked out of the stones though actually he had named and formed the rolling stones. what a bullsh*t, mick was jealous of him. anyway the stones used to be great, but it was somewhere in the 60s, after that (after The Beatles breakup) they started to regress in music and especially in rock music, they weren't a rock band already. what a shame...

« Reply #147 on: December 22, 2008, 01:56:52 PM »

ouch

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #148 on: December 22, 2008, 09:47:49 PM »

Have just seen Shine The Light about the Rolling Stones again. Love it.

python

• A Beginning
« Reply #149 on: December 22, 2008, 10:39:37 PM »

i much prefer the early Stones albums .Aftermath and Out of our Heads are magnificent.But i dont know what happened with Between the Buttons.Theres a couple of ok tracks like Yesterdays Papers but as a follow up to Aftermath,it just doesnt do it.
And then theres Brian.The most talented Stone by far.Bless him.He plays Dulcimer on Lady Jane.Oh,so good.
Turn off your mind,relax and float down stream

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #150 on: December 22, 2008, 11:46:31 PM »

Quote from: 1610
i much prefer the early Stones albums .Aftermath and Out of our Heads are magnificent.But i dont know what happened with Between the Buttons.Theres a couple of ok tracks like Yesterdays Papers but as a follow up to Aftermath,it just doesnt do it.

The US version of Buttons plays better because it has the single "Let's Spend The Night Together"/"Ruby Tuesday" instead of "Backstreet Girl" and "Please Go Home." The same goes for Out Of Our Heads: it has "Satisfaction," "The Last Time," and "Play With Fire," all of which appeared on singles in the UK. Redundancy would still make the UK albums preferable if you have a good singles collection, though.  :)

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #151 on: December 23, 2008, 12:49:01 AM »

you got robbed on stones albums and us on beatle album...fair trade i'd say... ;D

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #152 on: December 23, 2008, 12:55:13 AM »

Quote from: 1588
My Fave song at the moment seems to be (worryingly), Paint it black. My favourite part is the Rocky chorus, not the indian style verses.

i love that tune and this one...
E3DBRbrbHnc

heart of stone is another cool one...
lL7vh74bx7c
i too love the old stones..more creative than the beatles too by far in the early period....that is only in the early period the beatles far surpassed them after 66...i think brian jones and john could have made great music together..

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #153 on: December 23, 2008, 01:10:14 AM »

how can you not dig mick?????!!!!!!
f5HNk5adESE
0adgEdCdWvA

funky dancer funny how that got old tho isn't it??

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #154 on: December 23, 2008, 01:18:08 AM »

I LOVE the videos with Brian!!!!  THAT was the best Stones.........with Brian.

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #155 on: December 23, 2008, 01:31:31 AM »

Yeah, Marshall...............John and Brian could have made some "devilishly temping" music............

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #156 on: December 23, 2008, 08:35:49 PM »

Oh, another round with the Rolling Stones with me...I am enjoying their music. They are great! By the way, is it just a myth that they were jealous of Brian and his talent and did their best to oust him from the band? I remember reading something about it.

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #157 on: December 23, 2008, 09:46:11 PM »

^^^^^^I think so Jane.  They.........Mick and Keith..........were jealous of his talent AND his looks, I believe is what I heard.  I read/heard something somewhere when the Stones were starting out and living is less desireable conditions, Brian would have to wash his hair every day, even if no running hot water and he just had to have his hair perfect.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #158 on: December 23, 2008, 10:22:45 PM »

A neat guy this Brian was! And yes, he was handsome. It is not very clever to be jealous of somebody from your own band, it is better to use the talent to the band`s advantage. And good looks are surely a great contribution too! To attract more fans. Cause whatever people say looks do matter. For somebody on stage. What a pity! But as far as I remember Brian died of drinking and drugs?

python

• A Beginning
« Reply #159 on: December 23, 2008, 11:35:21 PM »

Quote from: 1393
A neat guy this Brian was! And yes, he was handsome. It is not very clever to be jealous of somebody from your own band, it is better to use the talent to the band`s advantage. And good looks are surely a great contribution too! To attract more fans. Cause whatever people say looks do matter. For somebody on stage. What a pity! But as far as I remember Brian died of drinking and drugs?

Brian was alledgedlgy murdered in his pool at his home in Sussex.I cant remember if it was his driver or one of the builders who was working on his house at the time.Im sure someone will correct me on that one.The book,Who Killed Cock Robin ? is worth a read.

Turn off your mind,relax and float down stream
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 21

Page created in 1.377 seconds with 85 queries.