Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: After Paul Dies  (Read 4291 times)

lennonlemon

• A Thousand Pages
  • I Believe in Beatles
After Paul Dies
« on: May 11, 2005, 01:56:47 AM »

After John died, thre were memorials built after him, moments of silence, and candlelight vigils- and that was great.

This is a rahter grim question to ask, but do you think Paul's death will have as much of an effect on the world as John's did?
All You Need is Love  :K) :K) :K)

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
Re: After Paul Dies
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 02:28:00 AM »

Not unless he dies tragically like John. There's a reason why they did all that stuff for John. He was taken away so early and so brutally, that in order for people to cope with it, they had to honor him in those ways. I mean, that's not to say that there won't be anything for Paul, I just don't think it will hit the same kind of nerves that John's death did. Shock, anger, confusion..just SO freaking sad. That said, I wish and hope Paul and Ringo both live to be 110.

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
  • Shake your tired eyes the world is waiting for you
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 02:34:16 AM »

will there be a concert for Paul?

[face=Arial]            Give me love, give me peace on Earth...[/face]

Rowdy

• Getting Better
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 04:23:53 AM »

Quote from: Maccalvr
That said, I wish and hope Paul and Ringo both live to be 110.

That's kind of mean........humans can live to 120........

;D

"Only people know just how to talk to people. Only people know just how to change the world."

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 04:32:23 AM »

Okay, 130 then! Can you even imagine the size of Pauls jowl's by then?

In Blue Hawaii

• Getting Better
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 04:51:52 PM »

The ironic thing is newspaper headlines the next day would be "Paul Is Dead"

Rowdy

• Getting Better
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 07:19:28 PM »

Quote from: MagicAlex
The ironic thing is newspaper headlines the next day would be "Paul Is Dead"

Or "Live and Let Die".........ugh......

"Only people know just how to talk to people. Only people know just how to change the world."

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005, 07:32:19 PM »

Maybe after Paul dies, he will get a little more respect.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2005, 08:13:45 PM »

When John died, people celebrated his life and mourned his death. In some ways (NOT all ways) he was a 'man of the people'.

When George died, his peers celebrated his life and mourned his death. George Harrison was a musician, and philanthropist (Concert for Bangla Desh, Material World Charitable Foundation, etc) and as such was mourned.

My feeling is that when Ringo and Paul pass away, there will not be much life-celebrating and death-mourning. They both seem to have been rather self-absorbed people, especially Ringo.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2005, 08:35:17 PM »

Before George died, he was kind of underrated (he still is, but to a lesser extent). When he passed away, people realized how great he was- you never know what you have until you lose it, as they say.
I don't know much about Ringo's personal life, so I can't really say how many charitable causes he was involved in, but I do know that Paul was- and not just with damn PETA. It's like Sandra said- he's lived too long for his own good.

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2005, 08:40:55 PM »

Quote from: Mairi
Before George died, he was kind of underrated (he still is, but to a lesser extent). When he passed away, people realized how great he was- you never know what you have until you lose it, as they say.

No, George was never underrated by his PEERS. That's the point about George's passing, and how he was mourned. Most 'people' didn't show anything more than a passing nod to George's death.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2005, 08:44:47 PM »

Oh, I guess that's true. I was thinking of it in terms of a music fans or even some Beatles fans.

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2005, 11:07:03 PM »

I think there will necessarily be much editorializing, tributes from all sectors of society from all over the world, and his loss will be felt deeply and massively.  One of the reasons that John was mourned wasn't because of the brutal nature of his death, but because his Beatle music was such a huge part of the childhood/lives of innumerable people, '60s children'/baby boomers in particular. It was like a part of them died as well, their youth I guess.  When Paul passes it will rip at those same heartstrings, and since the same people have gotten older with him, it will put them that much more in tune with their own mortality. The '60s will officially be over.

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
  • Shake your tired eyes the world is waiting for you
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2005, 11:26:43 PM »

the headlines will say "Yesterday..." and have a picture of paul at his guitar.

[face=Arial]            Give me love, give me peace on Earth...[/face]

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2005, 12:19:16 AM »

I think Paul will be mourned heavily by the public and his peers. Unfortunately, I dont feel Ringo will get his due. As with George, Ringo did/doesnt try to be in the public eye every chance he gets (Paul) and really doesnt try to push himself on everyone. His peers will mourn, but the public probably wont get hung up for too long.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2005, 02:35:22 AM »

If you remember, George died slightly after 9/11. People were still in shock from that. I think that took away from the shock and sadness of George's passing. I also think people knew he was sick, so in a way were prepared for it. I don't know.

I still think the reason the world came together for John like that was because of the nature of his death. He was taken too young and sure it was the end of that era and all the poor baby boomers may have had a wake up call, but it was EVERYBODY that was mourning. From little children to senior citizens. He was an icon for peace and love, and was taken away with such violence. I think that struck a chord just about every generation. I'm sure Paul's death will get a lot of attention and people just may sing together in the streets, but because he's gotten to live to a ripe old age, I don't think it will produce such sorrow.

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2005, 04:27:15 AM »

It will still be a massive loss for countless people. Its what he embodies, not how long of a life he may lead.  Look how quickly his tour sold out. Nobody is going to hear any new material, most could give a rip about his PETA association or whatever.  They are going to be with and listen to a man who gave them a soundtrack to their lives, that gave them happiness shortly after JFK, through the turbulent 60s and Vietnam. How many girls were named Michelle? How many get choked up when he sings 'Long and Winding Road'?  Sorry to get melodramatic, but this man embodies a very distinct and significant part literally millions of people's lives, and his loss will be very difficult, not to mention that people will naturally think back on John's death and those feelings will once again come to the fore.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2005, 06:15:10 AM »

I'm certainly not saying Paul's passing won't cause a lot of sadness. Of course it will. He's a legend. He's loved and admired. He's touched a lot of peoples lives. I was just saying that the reaction to John's death was magnified by the way he died. Don't you think? Paul's passing will be sad, but you won't feel angry that he was taken away so young and violently. You wont feel the same sort of emotions as when John was murdered. I think even if this happened with your own family you wouldn't feel the same kind of emotions if one was murdered and one died of natural causes. John's death is still painful to think about. George's death is very sad, but it doesn't cause the same kind of sadness. Anyway, that's all I was saying. The reaction for JOhn was 10x what it would have been if he was a ripe old age when he died. Remember the people outside the Dakota? The candles? The 10 minutes of silence and the singing of Imagine? The newspapers and that picture of him? Very intense time. Again, not saying this won't happen with Paul. I just don't think it will be the same sort of general feeling. Sadly, I don't remember where I was when I heard that George had died. I have a very vivid memory of when I heard Lennon had died. Different kind of shock. Oh, I don't know. I mean. I know I'll be devastated when Paul goes either way you look at it.  

Wayne L.

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2005, 12:47:00 PM »

Paul's death WILL have the same affect as the death of John & George on Beatles fans all over the world & I expect lots of tributes & memorials as well.  

andyec

• A Beginning
  • The Beatles always bring me joy.
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2005, 12:41:47 AM »

There are debates over everything about John and Paul-and now a debate about the reactions to their deaths.
 It's sickening,but fascinating as well.
I was as shocked as I've ever been about anything when I heard that John had been murdered. It had a profound impact on me. I was a 14 year old kid who was head over heels in love with everything Beatles. It was earth-shattering.
I was sad when George died,but I was also a grown man-and I knew he was sick. It was nowhere near as impactful. It will be the same if and when Paul and Ringo pass away. I will be mournful,but not shocked.
 John's death was a lightening bolt that jolted me from my cozy days when I thought everything was right with the world. I lost my innocence.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 80 queries.