Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A Good Job ?  (Read 2944 times)

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
A Good Job ?
« on: December 30, 2007, 10:20:36 AM »

As Paul done a good job  over the years keeping The Beatles music alive in that he's the only one playing the songs live on a regular basis ?
Should he perform more  of John's  Beatles songs ? i would love him to do  " In My Life " ,  " A Hard Days Night "  and  " I am The Walrus " ?
Whats your view on him expanding his choice of Beatles songs live ? :)

BlueMeanie

Re: A Good Job ?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 10:27:19 AM »

I personally think it's a shame that he plays so many Beatles songs live, he has such a large back catalogue of solo material to choose from. And I think if he were to start performing John's songs, the 'Lennon is God' brigade would accuse him of damaging his heritage.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 10:47:14 AM »

Quote from: 483
I personally think it's a shame that he plays so many Beatles songs live, he has such a large back catalogue of solo material to choose from. And I think if he were to start performing John's songs, the 'Lennon is God' brigade would accuse him of damaging his heritage.

Agree BlueMeanie he could play more of his own solo stuff but i would also personally accept him playing a few of John's songs he as as much right as anybody to do this in that he played and sang on a lot of them . And John did  " I Saw Her Standing There " i see it as a compliment rather than  " Heresy " ?

wingsman

• Getting Better
  • There is always a reason to live
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 09:35:03 PM »

I think Paul's live catalogue is pretty good. He doesn't have to sing all those John tunes, in my opinion. And I consider Paul's part of the Beatles catalogue is by far the most succesful. So he's the luckiest one.

I would like he singing more of his post 1970 catalogue. For example, I've never watched a live performance of Pipes of Peace, No More Lonely Nights or Press.
I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't eat trash... I work out hard everyday and have a healthy life. And I'm proud of it.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 02:00:19 AM »

Yoko would probably sue him if he played more John tunes.

Beatles

• A Beginning
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 03:08:10 AM »

Quote from: 373
Yoko would probably sue him if he played more John tunes.

Are you just saying that, or is that actually possible

I love that you said that BlueMeanie, so well put :)

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 03:58:26 AM »

she'd probably throw a hissy fit over it.

nothing_is_real

• A Beginning
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 05:48:42 AM »

Paul used to do a John medley which included Strawberry Fields. I don't remember what the other songs were though. I wouldn't mind Paul doing another little John tribute in his next tour. "Imagine" would be nice, since we as fans never get to hear this live and it's definitely John's most important song.

Even though I could never think that Paul's Wings/solo catalogue is as good as the Beatles material, and being that all the Beatles aren't here to perform them, I'd almost just rather Paul not go there, since he obviously can't do them justice. A few of the big staples are okay, but I'd prefer him to do more from his Wings years.

I don't the Beatles music needs Paul or anyone to keep it alive at this point. It's not going anywhere  ;).
<br /><br />

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 06:37:56 AM »

True nothing_is_real the music is not going anywhere and hopefully in 200 years it's still having the same effect.
But sadly we are moving into the last act where it's possible for it to be performed by  Beatle , in the next ten years it's likely to fall silent as either Paul or Ringo will be to old to perform it ? Then we will be listening to other people occasionally doing the songs live which fills me with some fear ?
Thats why i would like to see Paul perform a couple of John songs before it's to late , songs like  " I am The Walrus " and  " In My Life " are favourite John songs of mine and im sure  Paul would do them justice ?
Yoko could even join Paul on stage and do one of her art things for peace ?

nothing_is_real

• A Beginning
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 07:08:28 AM »

I get what you're saying DaveRam, of course it's nice to see an original Beatle doing the old Beatles songs, as opposed to some old Joe Blow. I guess I'm just one of those people who wants the songs to be done well, whether it's Paul McCartney or anyone. I mean really it's bittersweet - I'm happy that Paul and Ringo are still around to do the songs, but I can't help but be disappointed and slightly depressed that they can't bring the same magic to songs that the music deserves, and that we all expect. Nothing breaks my heart like Paul cracking his way through Blackbird, you know? Paul doing something like "In My Life" sounds like a lovely idea but if Paul screwed it up, that would just be terrible. It's one thing for him to struggle through his own songs, but to make a mess out of John's.. makes me nervous just thinking about it!

<br /><br />

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2007, 07:17:49 AM »

on George's '74 American Tour he performed "In My Life" although he changed some of the lyrics :P

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2007, 07:40:50 AM »

Sadly the cracks in Paul's voice are there now and then, but i accept them he's 65 , my uncle who's 72  sang In My life at my mum and dads Golden Wedding party last year, his voice was so frail but the effect that song had on the room was truely moving .
Maybe Paul needs to think about some good backing vocalists to smoth out the cracks ?

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2007, 10:40:05 AM »

Quote from: 937

Are you just saying that, or is that actually possible

I was just joking.

I'm still in the camp where two or three Beatle tunes would be acceptable from Paul in a live show (zero would be fine by me), but i'd much rather see his obscure solo offerings.

DaveRam, I agree with you about Pauls voice. Its held up wonderfully over the years, but the evidence indicates its not going to be long.

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2007, 02:13:46 PM »

Quote from: 971
Sadly the cracks in Paul's voice are there now and then, but i accept them he's 65 , my uncle who's 72  sang In My life at my mum and dads Golden Wedding party last year, his voice was so frail but the effect that song had on the room was truely moving .
Maybe Paul needs to think about some good backing vocalists to smoth out the cracks ?

Let him know I'm always available for backing singing duties. lol
I would'nt fair too well on the solo material though. heheheh
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

Wordno

• Getting Better
  • Fortune favors the bold
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2007, 04:48:14 PM »

Quote from: 800

Even though I could never think that Paul's Wings/solo catalogue is as good as the Beatles material,

Are you kidding? Wings songs were done best when they were live. Have you ever seen a Wings concert? Its pretty awesome. I think it would hold up very well.

nothing_is_real

• A Beginning
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2007, 10:48:28 PM »

Quote from: 403

Are you kidding? Wings songs were done best when they were live. Have you ever seen a Wings concert? Its pretty awesome. I think it would hold up very well.

No, I wasn't kidding. I think the Beatles material is, with the exception of a handful of songs, far superior to Paul in his solo/Wings career. And believe me, I am a huge Wings supporter. I said in my post that I actually would prefer Paul to do less Beatles and more Wings, did you miss that? I agree with you that those songs would completely rock live. I would give my right arm for Paul to bring back Junior's Farm.
<br /><br />

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2008, 01:18:46 AM »

I prefer Wings live as opposed to The Beatles live...Wings of '75-76 had much more energy, presence and a harder rock edge on stage than the lads.

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2008, 02:10:57 PM »

Quote from: 682
I prefer Wings live as opposed to The Beatles live...Wings of '75-76 had much more energy, presence and a harder rock edge on stage than the lads.

i agree but i also think that they had an advantage over The Beatles in the same way The Beatles would have had in advantage over bands of the 50s.

The equipment available to The Wings Would not have been the  same as what was available to The Beatles, There would have been monitors so they could hear themselves play better, there mic's wouldn't have been constantly moving about during gigs, there was so much more in the way of distortion and effects for the guitars instead of the fuzzy distortion of the early 60's, they would have had bigger sound systems for the audience to hear them better.

also with having monitors they would have been able to hear themselves over the fans and also the output of the speakers would maybe help drown out the fans a good bit, and as for energy and presence that might have developed as when they stopped playing live they were still in the sharp suited mop-top bow to the crowd and play nice stage ? .

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2008, 03:09:22 PM »

I agree with fendertel that you can't compare the two. The Beatles live were a travelling freak show with stoneage equipment.
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2008, 08:41:47 AM »

Just going to throw my lot in with the fendertele camp. You just cannot compare the two. They are light years apart in terms of stage equipment, they could hear themselves play, and the crowd actually wanted to hear them, as opposed to screaming at them.

The live recordings of Wings are also far superior to those of The Beatles, even so the shear energy of those early gigs shines through, for me.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 88 queries.