Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 80's Paul ?  (Read 2110 times)

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
80's Paul ?
« on: March 21, 2009, 11:09:40 AM »

What do you think of Paul's 80's career ?
He had 4 UK # 1 albums , 18 hit singles ,10 of which were top 10 and 3 of them went to # 1 on the UK charts .
In America he had 1 # 1 album (Tug Of War) and 1 top 3 album (McCartney ll) is other albums were top 30 albums  , Flowers In The Dirt (1989) spent 49 weeks on Billboard his best total since the 70's .
He had 10 hit singles on Billboard 3 of which went to # 1 and Ebony & Ivory was the 6th best selling single of the 80's on Billboard , and Say Say Say was the 11th best seller .
He embraced the video age and eventually got round to touring in 89 and their was that film lol
So what do you think of 80's Paul ???
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
Re: 80's Paul ?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 11:35:40 AM »

I personally don't think he was any better or worse than most 80's acts .
Tug Of War and Flowers In The Dirt were solid albums and the singles Coming Up , No More Lonley Nights , Spies Like Us and My Brave Face , i really like .
Pipes Of Peace the album was a low point , although the US hit single "So Bad" is a forgotten gem ?
Both McCartney ll and Press To Play albums have some interesting ideas .
I think it's difficult for any star to turn 40 and still be relevant , but i don't think Paul made a bad stab of it in the 80's .

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 01:42:31 AM »

'Tug Of War' was good.
'Flowers In The Dirt' was decent'
'Give My Regards To Broadstreet' is a personal like, but universally hated amongst most.
'Choba B CCCP' is good.
'Press To Play' has some stuff I like and stuff I dislike.
'Pipes Of Peace' is awful
'McCartney 2' is abysimal and one of the worst albums ever recorded.

I'll choose no better or no worse than anybody else, but the utter filth of Macca 2 really has that opinion leaning towards the bottom of that scale.

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 12:09:55 PM »

macca ll is bad,i agree with that one.pipes of peace-really is it so bad?i'd go so far as to say it is a half decent stab at an album when music in general was pretty poor.the whole 'sound' of music around 82-83-84-85 really wasn't anything to write home about.sure,p.o.p has a couple of weak tracks,but the stuff with jacko ain't bad,'so bad' is a hidden gem,'the other me' i have a little soft spot for.as for the other stuff-
tug of war-very good
press to play-not so bad
flowers in the dirt-average,some nice bits
broad street-so so
all in all,name me a major artist who comes out of the 80s' with their credibility completely intact.macca was no worse than anyone else.
......."but tonight,i just wanna stay in,and be with you"..............

mr vandebilt

• A Beginning
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 12:29:22 PM »

Compared to the other artists of the 80s i'd say he was pretty average but compared to his work in the 70s and 60s its really dissapointing. I dont want to sound to harsh because i think he still made some great sounding songs but i kind of think that he was really directionless during the 80s and much of the 90s.

Still i'd take an average Macca record over most of the other albums of the 80s

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 01:26:33 PM »

Quote from: 1699
Compared to the other artists of the 80s i'd say he was pretty average but compared to his work in the 70s and 60s its really dissapointing
We've had this discussion before. We could only think of one sixties artist who made anything of any crdibility in the 80's was Paul Simon with Graceland. It was slim pickings for almost all the Old Guard that decade.

don't follow leaders

cubanheel

• Getting Better
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 11:39:54 PM »

They say that the 70's was the decade that taste forgot.  Well, maybe the 80's was the decade that music forgot??!!  Still, I recall some good times... Press to Play was one of the lows, though.
...once there was a way to get back homeward ...

mr vandebilt

• A Beginning
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 11:53:03 AM »

Quote from: 185
We've had this discussion before. We could only think of one sixties artist who made anything of any crdibility in the 80's was Paul Simon with Graceland. It was slim pickings for almost all the Old Guard that decade.

True but im not comparing him to other artisits from the 60's but to music that was released in the 80's.

Ihave quite a lot of Maccas 80's music on my ipod yet with the exception of Mcartney II (a popular choice i know :P ) i barely listen to it, where as his 70s output is just amazing.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 05:05:37 PM »

Quote from: 1699

True but im not comparing him to other artisits from the 60's but to music that was released in the 80's.

Ihave quite a lot of Maccas 80's music on my ipod yet with the exception of Mcartney II (a popular choice i know :P ) i barely listen to it, where as his 70s output is just amazing.

My point was just that yes, McCartney was lame in the eighties, but so were all his peers. They all caught Oldmannitis
don't follow leaders

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 09:53:30 AM »

Lou Reed from the 60's put out some good albums in the 80's , but your right Kevin maybe only Paul Simon and Lou Reed cut the musturd from that generation.
I think the 80's were all about style and very little substance , take The Smiths, Kate Bush ,The Cure and The Talking Heads out of the mix and your left with a very avarage decade for music ?
I did however have a good time in the 80's plenty of booze , women and holidays , what more could a young man ask for
(wink1)

sewi

• Getting Better
  • Life is short
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 05:28:36 PM »

He made some great singles and albums in the 80's.

I do not consider McCartney II a 80's album.The decade begun in 1981 for me.
He released Tug Of War,Pipes Of Peace and Flowers In The Dirt which are good/great albums.
I like Press To Play but Give My Reagrs To Broadstreet can be consider a mediocre/regular/almost bad album.
Overall I think he was a little better than the rest of his competitors.
And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make

maccafan

• A Beginning
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 09:22:28 PM »

Sewi, I have to agree with you, McCartney was the one that dared to experiment in the 80s!  Most people bash this period of his work because he wasn't just doing more of the same, the same way they do his tour setlist now!

Press To Play is one of McCartney's best albums and it's a total shame that it doesn't really get the credit it deserves.  Pipes Of Peace isn't as bad as some people say, but McCartney II and that Fireman stuff is the absolute worst McCartney ever!

Seems to me with all the accomplishments Daveram listed above McCartney did pretty darn good in the 80s!

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 11:18:47 AM »

I've been listening to "Press To Play" quite a bit and once you get past the 80's production there is much to like on this album .

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2009, 01:47:30 PM »

too right.some quite nice stuff on there.stranglehold is a great track.
......."but tonight,i just wanna stay in,and be with you"..............

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2009, 03:38:07 PM »

Quote from: 971
I've been listening to "Press To Play" quite a bit and once you get past the 80's production there is much to like on this album .

i love that album so much, very interesting and has some great tracks on it (starnglehold, footprints, only love remains,
move over busker and Press is a cracker of a pop song, c'mon, lets give this album the credit it deserves. some of macca's
interesting work! terrific photo on the front as well!  :)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

Page created in 0.622 seconds with 75 queries.