Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Paul and synesthesia  (Read 1652 times)

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
Paul and synesthesia
« on: August 01, 2022, 06:17:46 PM »

Instead of working, I was just poking around online (so that's why I'm always rushing to meet deadlines), and I came across an article about how Paul said he never experienced synesthesia in his work with the Beatles. I'd never heard of synesthesia before, so of course I had to do some exploring. I thought it was interesting.

From WebMD: Synesthesia is when you hear music, but you see shapes. Or you hear a word or a name and instantly see a color. Synesthesia is a fancy name for when you experience one of your senses through another. For example, you might hear the name "Alex" and see green. Or you might read the word "street" and taste citrus fruit.

I've never experienced this myself. Has anyone here experienced it?

Here's the link to the Paul story. You have to scroll down a bit; I believe it's the third entry from the top: https://beatlesmagazine.blogspot.com/

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Paul and synesthesia
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2022, 06:45:17 PM »

I saw that recently, found it interesting that he did say he has always seen colors when hearing or thinking about days of the week.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2022, 09:21:50 PM »

Haven’t experienced it. It’s sometimes thought of as an explanation why some people have perfect pitch. When they hear G they see blue. C is red etc etc. as musical pitch is just frequencies of sound vibration it’s understandable how they might trigger some consistent response in the brain.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2022, 11:53:11 PM »

^^^^^^

So interesting; thank you both for sharing. I think if I had ever seen a color while listening to music, I'd worry that I was hallucinating.

As musical pitch is just frequencies of sound vibration it’s understandable how they might trigger some consistent response in the brain.

That makes sense. I'm looking forward to learning more about this.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2022, 02:47:00 AM »

This is straying a bit off topic, but I found it interesting and thought others may, too: https://metro.co.uk/2022/08/03/newcastle-man-who-can-taste-words-cant-date-anyone-called-kirsty-17120580/

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2022, 10:36:42 AM »

This is straying a bit off topic, but I found it interesting and thought others may, too: https://metro.co.uk/2022/08/03/newcastle-man-who-can-taste-words-cant-date-anyone-called-kirsty-17120580/

I missed this post. What an awful condition to have. Taste is such a sensitive thing and influences so much of how you perceive things. Certain words inducing  unpleasant tastes would be a terrible thing to live with.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2022, 10:40:51 AM »

I see two names with unpleasant associations for him are Harrison and Dylan. Safe bet he’s not a fan of the Travelling Wilburys.

Page created in 8.055 seconds with 46 queries.