Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Django Reinhardt  (Read 704 times)

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
Django Reinhardt
« on: May 12, 2007, 03:31:19 PM »

anybody ever heard of him? I just recently heard of him because Jimmy McCulloch mentioned him in an radio interview.

Radio interview guy: This is something I guess any guitarist would have to be wary of, an injury to a hand that can end a career or it can certainly tie a guy up for awhile.

Jimmy: Well Django Reinhardt only had 3 fingers so I'm lucky to have 5.

Radio interview guy: You know there are so few guitarists today that will take time out out of their own little world to mention somebody like a Django Reinhardt.

Jimmy: Well I was brought up on Django, basically. My dad was a trumpet player, jazz, trazz so I mean uh I was born, brought up with that you know at the age of 3, 5 you know and I was going to my dad's concerts. Like he'd play the Claire bike (?) town hall which is in Scotland just outside Glasgow and uh since the age of 3, 4 I've been going there, I've just (been) brought up on music man and it's been born into me and I've had the chance to be able to play.

Radio interview guy: Jimmy I did a show recently with Stephen Grappelli.

Jimmy: Oh yeah?

Radio interview guy: and his memories of Django Reinhardt were really something.

Jimmy: Oh I bet. Well I don't know I just love the guy. He's a genius, the way he was.

Jean Baptiste "Django" Reinhardt (January 23, 1910
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

raxo

• Sun King
Re: Django Reinhardt
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 05:43:25 PM »

He's an example of self improvement ... and from what I've listened, a superb guitarist!

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 07:10:55 PM »

Django is an inspiration. A very musical man.
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 01:15:53 AM »

I've got a five CD collection of the stuff before WWII alot with Grapelli.  Well worth it.  Django is right up there with Hendrix in terms of redefining his instrument (I guess you'd have to put Segovia up there too).  

Django did some electric work in the 50s, but I don't like it as much as the earlier stuff.  

Page created in 0.937 seconds with 44 queries.