Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Song Of The Week - Baby's In Black  (Read 10538 times)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Song Of The Week - Baby's In Black
« on: June 12, 2015, 02:10:15 AM »

Baby's In Black

The Beatles had just completed their hectic June 1964 world tour.  July was rather relaxed in comparison with just a brief Swedish tour and some television appearances.  Late that month, Paul drove out to John's Kenwood home for a bit od songwriting with John.

We got more and more free to get into ourselves.  Our student selves rather than 'we must please the girls and make money', which is all that 'From Me to You', 'Thank You Girl', 'PS I Love You' is about. 'Baby's in Black' we did because we liked waltz-time...and I think also John and I wanted to do something bluesy, a bit darker, more grown-up, rather than just straight pop.

We'd used to do 'If You Gotta Make A Fool Of Somebody,' (by James Ray in 1961) a cool three-four blues thing.  And other bands would notice that and say, 'sh*t man, you're doing something in three-four.'  So we'd got known for that...It's ("Baby's In Black") in 3/4 time, one of the first waltzes we wrote, which was interesting for us because most of our stuff's in 4/4.

Paul McCartney    The Beatles Anthology

http://youtu.be/GOuzo86PnAw

On 11 August 1964, The Beatles entered EMI Studio Two at 7:00 PM to begin recording Beatles For Sale.  This three-hour session was devoted entirely to John and Paul's recent composition Baby's In Black.  It took fourteen takes of the rhythm track to get a keeper, which included John on acoustic rhythm guitar, George on electric lead guitar, Paul on bass, Ringo on drums along with harmonized vocals from John and Paul.  After the fourteenth take, Lennon was heard commenting, “Can we hear that rubbish back?"

Some overdubbing was necessary which included both John and Paul double-tracking their vocals during both occurrences of the bridge and during the chorus after the second bridge.  This gave a fullness that creates an illusion of multiple harmonies when in fact there were only two.  A tambourine, played by Ringo, was also overdubbed, which came in very quietly on the second bridge with the accent on the second and fifth beat of each measure, switching to the first and fourth beat after the second measure of the final verse.  John also adds electric rhythm guitar strumming in the bridges and the choruses that follow them.

http://youtu.be/rVYuGVdGhhE

The Beatles were very proud of Baby's In Black as evidenced by the fact that they continued to perform it live right through to their final concert performance in San Francisco on 29 August 1966.  "We rather liked this one," McCartney confirms.  "It was not so much a work job; there was a bit more cred about this one.  It's got a good middle."

http://youtu.be/GIjm50FQ8WE

John Lennon - Lead Vocals, Rhythm Guitar (1962 Gibson J160E & 1964 Rickenbacker 325)
Paul McCartney - Lead Vocals, Bass Guitar (1963 Hofner 500/1)
George Harrison - Lead Guitar (1963 Gretsch 6119 Tennessean)
Ringo Starr - Drums (1964 Ludwig Super Classic Black Oyster Pearl), tambourine

I can stay till it's time to go
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
Re: Song Of The Week - Baby's In Black
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 02:48:27 AM »

I've got a feeling that George Harrison was infuenced by James Ray too.  This song was on his 1963 album...

http://youtu.be/k68Fob0QA_k

:)

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 02:54:13 AM »

I've always quite liked this tune. It's another of those beatle songs ( mainly from BFS and AHDN) I remember from almost my first childhood memories. It's a pretty simple sort of melody so the tight harmonising makes it.

I love the middle eight when the vocals really kick in.

And Georges solo is quite neat too. A little less Carl perkins-y than a lot from that era. It's an early example of him doing the alternate melody thing.

So while not a great tune it's a good album track with enough different bits to make it interesting.

KelMar

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 03:23:03 AM »

The Beatles Book was there:

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 07:45:54 AM »

Another great Fabs' tune.....what a start to an LP - 'No Reply', 'I'm A Loser' and 'Baby's in Black'.....and, lest we forget, a live version was on the b-side of 'Real Love'.

The Beatles Book poll of 1983 had it in the relatively low position of no. 107 with 85 votes and tied with 'I'm So Tired' and 'Magical Mystery Tour'.

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 12:15:13 PM »

I read a George comment years ago where he talked about the guitar work on this and some other songs. He stated that when they were young they used to listen to music and loved the sounds but said they were so naïve at the time they never realized that they were using pedals and early distortion effects. They tried to imitate them just by bending the strings and experimenting without the use of any effects! I'd say they came up with some great sounds !
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 01:40:17 PM »

Nice tune. One of my faves from the period. Certainly a departure from the silly love songs. A bit dark and edgy. Hair curling harmonies. Top cut.

:)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 04:31:56 PM »

I think this songs terrible.  I cant find many positives with it to be honest.  Vocals are bad and the guitar solo is jokingly awful.  Cant believe its liked as well as it is.

KelMar

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 04:38:33 PM »

I really dig the harmonies.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 10:09:37 PM »

I find the guitar solo quirky. Admittedly on close listening it almost disappears. Like it's been patched together from several takes with not all the note beginnings and endings there. I like the tune of it though.

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2015, 08:15:17 PM »

I'm totally with Todd on this one. Don't like it, never have done.

Copied and pasted my original review from the Beatles For Sale microscope which sums up my thoughts:

Baby's In Black – The air of desolation plumbs new depths. It’s getting morbid now; we are exploring bereavement and emotional denial. Not what we had come to expect from our moptops at all. Yet whilst we normally forgive them their bold forays into new territory, this is just plain awful... the vocal harmonies – usually a copper-bottomed guarantee of triumph capable of lifting the most pedestrian of tracks, fail miserably here. George’s guitar actually sounds ugly, which is unthinkable. What’s going on? It stops short of being truly dreadful – the waltz swing has a curiously grim magnetism at times – but overall: uniquely depressing. Always puzzles me why it enjoyed such a long shelf life within their live set.

The boys themselves clearly held this wailing dirge in high regard...I can only think it must have been fun to play or something?

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2015, 03:02:42 AM »

Baby's In Black-pool , as Paul once introduced it as  ha2ha

One of my favourite Beatle songs, Im not going to say 'its in my top 10' or anything as approximatly 184 of them are in my top 10  icon_cool

I love it though, it was indeed something different when it appeared on that lovely album with its gorgeously beautifully photographed gate-fold sleeve, a lovely lilting melody that told a story and set a scene, a sad scene of course, our man loves a girl but she's in mourning for her deceased true love, sounds like a Shakespeare tragedy in the making  ;D

"I think of her, but she thinks only of him"

I suspect the boys were very proud of this song, breaking the mould of the trusted 4/4 beat, with a great story to boot ! that they played it a lot live backs this theory up.
Its bluesy, but with a country feel ....hard to pick a genre, maybe Baz will post a Bluegrass version (what do you mean, maybe) 4ac ha2ha

Its another L & M song that you cant decide which is the actual melody of the song, Johns melody line or Pauls, they both sound....... well, right (as on/in Two Of Us), can anyone think of others? I believe Northern Songs couldn't decide which to put on the sheet music as THE melody, they apparently asked Paul but he ducked and said 'both'  ha2ha

John & Paul sing the whole thing from start to finish, another big plus for me, as any song where they do this I automatically love (like Im programmed too)  ???

I love what George did here also, his guitar sounds very sad, forlorn, like it wants to cry......those bendy notes and morose tones fit very well for me, well done George (if your reading) you were indeed creative and you introduced another melody, I like how you played it low register and so lopingly (Neil Youngs later 'that old country waltz') and of course practically every guitar player will dig the real tone that your lovely guitar & amp combination (without any sh*tty processing) exudes..

I notice on later live performances the emphasis (staccato) they put on the words 'See's The Mistake she has made' I wonder if this developed with regular playing or they thought of it in the studio ?.........anyway to see what I mean watch the youtube below.

This song has a verse (with 2 melody lines that John & Paul sing), a refrain, a bridge AND an independently melody wise lead guitar break, not bad for 2 minutes and 2 seconds..............that's the other thing............its too damn short  ha2ha

! No longer available
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 05:33:52 AM by nimrod »
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2015, 05:02:23 AM »

Its bluesy, but with a country feel ....hard to pick a genre, maybe Baz will post a Bluegrass version (what do you mean, maybe) 4ac ha2ha

Right.  I reckon I will, mate...

http://youtu.be/LzDV2EgV9Kg

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2015, 05:27:47 AM »

It's a waltz, this one.  Remember that.

http://youtu.be/Hsflbh6KVYM

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2015, 10:07:16 AM »

For all you who don't like this song just remember it could be worse. If it had been written now it'd be called Bae's in Black.  ha2ha

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2015, 01:24:38 PM »

...maybe Baz will post a Bluegrass version (what do you mean, maybe) 4ac ha2ha

A little off-topic I guess, but since bluegrass was mentioned I thought I'd share a nice little listen I'm having now, a bluegrass version of The Who's 'Tommy' by the Hillbenders. Much of it is unremarkable, but some bits are pretty tasty.

Here's a promo clip:

http://youtu.be/cLgbU7acsgY?list=PLI82tI9Nn3920c3qGS4TaPFctFp10Vmtm

8)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2015, 11:26:33 PM »

I just listened to this song again and I came up with a description of what it does to me - Like i'm drowning in a pool full of molasses.  I keep struggling to escape, but it just keeps dragging me back down.  That's how the song makes me feel.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2015, 09:47:49 PM »

Another great Fabs' tune.....what a start to an LP - 'No Reply', 'I'm A Loser' and 'Baby's in Black'.....and, lest we forget, a live version was on the b-side of 'Real Love'.

Yes!  What a way to start an LP!

That was The Beatles at The Hollywood Bowl on the back of Real Love...

http://youtu.be/qVITT0z8Pec

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2015, 09:51:32 PM »

And they did Baby's In Black(pool) so well at the NME Poll-Winners' All-Star Concert...

http://youtu.be/COSSsu1GSCk
8:00      11 April 1965

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2015, 10:30:08 PM »

And they did Baby's In Black(pool) so well at the NME Poll-Winners' All-Star Concert...

Indeed. Thanks for the video. For those who may be getting confused, this concert was, of course, not from Blackpool but from Wembley in London.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.776 seconds with 83 queries.