Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: The Beatles at Stowe School  (Read 1849 times)

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
The Beatles at Stowe School
« on: April 19, 2023, 01:46:11 AM »

This is an amazing find. Apparently a full hour gig by the Beatles just after Please Please Me was released has turned up.  It remains to be seen what level of cleaning up can be done on it to make it worth listening to.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2023/apr/09/please-please-us-lost-tape-of-beatles-school-gig-could-be-saved-for-the-nation

It does make you wonder how much else is out there stuffed in boxes in people's attics.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2023, 05:45:52 AM by Moogmodule »

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
Re: The Beatles at Stowe School
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2023, 08:05:42 AM »

Yes I saw that, amazing find  icon_good
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2023, 06:23:03 PM »

I saw that, too, and I'd love to hear it! I hope it does get cleaned up and released in some form.

I was heartened by this quote: “[The student who made the recording] feels strongly that it should not end up, as so many Beatles relics have, in the vault of a private individual.”
« Last Edit: April 19, 2023, 06:29:15 PM by Normandie »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2023, 10:49:04 PM »

The power of digital remastering...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7KRqWDOtOw" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7KRqWDOtOw</a>

You know?   ;D
I can stay till it's time to go

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2023, 10:59:32 PM »

The power of digital remastering...

:) 

If it could get the same treatment as the Get Back documentary, that would be so wonderful. I don't know much about those technical matters, but I have my fingers crossed.

This sentence caught my eye: "On the walk back to the car, Ringo suggested a quick fumble in the bushes to one of the girls (politely declined).” I didn't think any of the Beatles ever got turned down. Ever. Even before they shot to stardom.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2023, 02:48:15 AM »

I saw that, too, and I'd love to hear it! I hope it does get cleaned up and released in some form.

I was heartened by this quote: “[The student who made the recording] feels strongly that it should not end up, as so many Beatles relics have, in the vault of a private individual.”

Yes apparently the Beatle live project, which at one stage was going to feed into Ron Howard’s Eight Days a Week, ran aground as people with sound and footage of Beatle concerts wanted huge fees to use the material. End result no-one sees it except the owner.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2023, 01:08:17 AM »

You can hear bits and pieces of the show here:

https://youtu.be/JIrVGg68X2Y

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2023, 01:10:51 PM »

https://youtu.be/ZYaMkVmlg3A?si=3lOqXYOSyG21xc5m

Whole show is now up. (Someone has snuck recording equipment into the British Library)

Track list is really interesting.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2023, 06:21:51 PM »

^^^^

Great! I'm looking forward to checking that out.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2023, 04:21:28 AM »

I just skipped around that and listened to some individual tracks. What I wouldn't give to have been there in person back in the day!

It's interesting to hear the enthusiastic and yet relatively restrained audience. As someone who wasn't yet born when Beatlemania existed, this is a big contrast to the clips I usually hear, with hordes of screaming girls who essentially drown them out. (How frustrating that must have been for them!)

I'd love to hear the background chatter more clearly. I suppose earbuds will help with that, but I've been having a hard time finding a pair small enough to fit in my ears.  :( Now I have an extra incentive.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2023, 06:46:09 AM »

I just skipped around that and listened to some individual tracks. What I wouldn't give to have been there in person back in the day!

It's interesting to hear the enthusiastic and yet relatively restrained audience. As someone who wasn't yet born when Beatlemania existed, this is a big contrast to the clips I usually hear, with hordes of screaming girls who essentially drown them out. (How frustrating that must have been for them!)

I'd love to hear the background chatter more clearly. I suppose earbuds will help with that, but I've been having a hard time finding a pair small enough to fit in my ears.  :( Now I have an extra incentive.

I thought it was interesting they did songs like Anna and a lot of the covers from their club days. It was also a long show. I wonder how many more shows they did after this that weren’t just twenty minutes of their best known stuff.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2023, 01:14:28 AM »

I thought it was interesting they did songs like Anna and a lot of the covers from their club days.

I thought so, too. I found the track list an interesting mix of those and their more commercial hits (e.g., Please Please Me).

Page created in 1.739 seconds with 58 queries.