Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Best hits album: '1' or 'Red+Blue'?  (Read 9403 times)

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
Re: Best hits album: '1' or 'Red+Blue'?
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2008, 02:56:59 PM »

Quote from: 713
I was introduced to the Beatles music through 1 too. To discover, buy and listen that album was a magical experience. It's like your little treasure, just 1 CD with some of the best music ever written and recorded. That's because I love it so much, because it's like a tiny piece with huge talent, work and creativity into it. And the booklet is soooooo good, I love all those colours, single covers ('Les Beatles', 'Los Beatles', hehe). The design is simply fantastic, using exclusively the Helvetica font (my favourite ever), even the George Martin introduction is beautiful.

I was introduced to the Beatles music through 1 as well.  :)
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

wingsman

• Getting Better
  • There is always a reason to live
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2008, 05:16:56 PM »

I understand the Red+Blue albums contain more material than '1'. But that's obvious. Because Red+Blue are 2 Double Albums released during the LP era, and '1' is just 1 single-CD album, released during the CD era.
I'm sure that if I say that '1' is more accomplished as a 1-CD compilation than 'Red+Blue' as 2 double albums, nodoby would be against of that.  :)
I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't eat trash... I work out hard everyday and have a healthy life. And I'm proud of it.

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2008, 08:39:37 PM »

the Red and Blue albums, along with the ameican Rock n Roll compilations were the first beatles albums i owned!  :)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2008, 06:05:57 AM »

The best Beatles' hits album would be one that contained their twenty-six UK A-sides. You can make this easily yourself by dropping 'Yesterday,' 'Eight Days a Week,' and 'The Long And Winding Road' from 1 and adding 'Please Please Me' and 'Strawberry Fields Forever,' and by substituting the Ringo version of 'Love Me Do' for the Andy White version. That's my version of 1, anyway.

Alternatively, Dr Ebbetts' collection of the UK singles, complete with the B-sides, is terrific, too.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2008, 12:07:05 PM »

Quote from: 1161
Alternatively, Dr Ebbetts' collection of the UK singles, complete with the B-sides, is terrific, too.

Makes a good set with the Dr. E. EP's. I also have the American singles, though I'm not so fond of the sound.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2008, 04:22:27 PM »

Quote from: 483

Makes a good set with the Dr. E. EP's.

It does indeed; both sets have remained on my hard drive since I downloaded them (thanks, by the way). I haven't downloaded the US singles set yet, but I think I will this weekend and maybe I'll see if I can find  "Meet The Beatles" and "The Beatles' Second Album" somewhere to go along with it. I doubt that even Dr Ebbetts (or God) could do anything with the sound on "Second Album," but it'll be interesting to hear it in its tin can echo chamber/reverb laden glory again anyway. The stereo version of "Thank You Girl" on PC's first "With The Beatles" disc is a prime sample; it's taken from "Second Album" (with I think, some substantial re-EQing, if my memory of the old vinyl disc is reliable), which was- I believe- the only record that ever contained a true stereo of the song.

wingsman

• Getting Better
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2008, 07:38:57 PM »

The best Beatles' hits album would be one that contained their twenty-six UK A-sides.

Welcome to the forums. :)
Your idea is not bad, but it's hard to replace "Yesterday" or "The Long And Winding Road", I think.
Great idea, though. It would be called "The British Hits 1962-1970".
I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't eat trash... I work out hard everyday and have a healthy life. And I'm proud of it.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2008, 07:53:25 PM »

It's hard to replace "Yesterday" or "The Long And Winding Road", I think.
Great idea, though. It would be called "The British Hits 1962-1970".

Great point; ideally there should be separate US and UK compilations. I understand why they made the compromises they did in order to get all the biggest highlights on one disc; but as a hopelessly anal perfectionist I get irritated every time I hear somebody's copy of 1 breeze right past "Please Please Me" or "Strawberry Fields Forever;" and I would have insisted on the Spector-free version of "The Long And Winding Road," too. But this is where bootleggers like Dr Ebbetts and your own CD burner can really help you. Mine's certainly been busy.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2008, 07:56:48 AM »

I've never owned the Red and Blue albums, and never seen the point. There have been times when I've nearly bought them, just from a completest point of view. I doubt they'll be re-issued with the remasters.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2008, 10:27:55 PM »

I've never owned the Red and Blue albums, and never seen the point. There have been times when I've nearly bought them, just from a completest point of view. I doubt they'll be re-issued with the remasters.

Your first two sentences describe my position exactly. But... heh... Apple being what it is, watch the Red and Blue albums turn up in the remastered series instead of anything interesting.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2008, 12:50:51 PM »

One disc isn't enough to do justice to the Beatles catalogue, four discs are too much for a 'best of' compilation for casual fans. So there really should be a good double CD with all the best known songs.

wingsman

• Getting Better
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2008, 02:51:56 PM »

Quote from: 56
One disc isn't enough to do justice to the Beatles catalogue, four discs are too much for a 'best of' compilation for casual fans. So there really should be a good double CD with all the best known songs.

That's true. I really think someday will be out a good double-album with all the Beatles hits. That will be one of the next big Beatles releases out there. I'm sure. I wish it would include tracks not found on the Red or Blue albums, as "Twist And Shout", "Here There And Everywhere" or "Got To Get You Into My Life". And of course "Free As A Bird" and "Real Love".

BlueMeanie

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2008, 03:00:19 PM »

That's true. I really think someday will be out a good double-album with all the Beatles hits. That will be one of the next big Beatles releases out there. I'm sure. I wish it would include tracks not found on the Red or Blue albums, as "Twist And Shout", "Here There And Everywhere" or "Got To Get You Into My Life". And of course "Free As A Bird" and "Real Love".

Makes you wonder what little gimmick they'll dredge up next. I fully expect the red and blue not to be re-issued, but for Apple to come up with some other concept to persuade us to part with our money.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2008, 03:14:34 PM »

Makes you wonder what little gimmick they'll dredge up next. I fully expect the red and blue not to be re-issued, but for Apple to come up with some other concept to persuade us to part with our money.

If I could be bothered I'd love to make a little compilation of Beatle country songs. Opening with "What Goes on" which I really quite like. And a rare congratulations to George for his fine guitar work. It really suited him.
I think too it's something a tribute band could mine. (especially since everything else seems to be taken.)
don't follow leaders

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2008, 03:56:42 PM »

You know what? The total running time of the four Red Album/Blue Album discs combined is less than 163 minutes... So if you'd delete one or two songs, that whole set could be released as one double CD...

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2008, 12:49:30 AM »

Quote from: 56
You know what? The total running time of the four Red Album/Blue Album discs combined is less than 163 minutes... So if you'd delete one or two songs, that whole set could be released as one double CD...

That was one of the big complaints about those sets when they were released on CD in 1993. With a running time of about sixty minutes, there was simply no reason to issue the red album as a double set. As you say, both sets could have been included in one two-disc package with a couple of deletions, and that would have made a quite decent album.

sminkingofgin

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2008, 12:22:15 AM »

Without a doubt the blue album turned me into a Beatles fan, then the red.  It's hard to quibble with the songs that were chosen, they pretty well chose themselves.  Back in the day, when the records came out (1973), a double album was necessary because of the constraints of vinyl.  Sure they overpriced the CD's for years but these two were worth the money.  Rock and Roll Music was another pretty good double album.

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2008, 09:08:27 PM »

I was introduced to the Beatles music through 1 too. To discover, buy and listen that album was a magical experience. It's like your little treasure, just 1 CD with some of the best music ever written and recorded. That's because I love it so much, because it's like a tiny piece with huge talent, work and creativity into it. And the booklet is soooooo good, I love all those colours, single covers ('Les Beatles', 'Los Beatles', hehe). The design is simply fantastic, using exclusively the Helvetica font (my favourite ever), even the George Martin introduction is beautiful.

I bought the 1 album right when it came out, and never bothered to look at the booklet!  Thanks for bringing that to my attention, I dug it out and it is pretty cool!!

As for the best though, I have to got with the red/blue.  My dad had them, and I loved listening to the red.  The 1 album is really good though for  their, well # 1's :)  The red and blue are good for all the rest of their stuff.  Is there really any bad Beatles songs?  Not really.  Even the songs that were not their greatest still rocked better then most other bands best stuff.

<br />

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2008, 09:20:55 PM »

ive never owned either but without the red and blue album it would have  probably taken me a lot longer to get into The Beatles or maybe never :S used to dog school and listen to it at a listening post in Comet lol :)

wingsman

• Getting Better
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2008, 10:54:30 PM »

That was one of the big complaints about those sets when they were released on CD in 1993. With a running time of about sixty minutes, there was simply no reason to issue the red album as a double set. As you say, both sets could have been included in one two-disc package with a couple of deletions, and that would have made a quite decent album.

They would never do that! Haha! The "Blue" and "Red" albums were really classic compilations. They deserved to be released on compact disc. And in a certain way, both deserved to be released on DOUBLE CD's. I mean, it's a shame to have the Blue one on a 2-CD beautifully blued-painted box set (I said that right?), while the Red one is on the standard jewel case. What a shame... No... I don't have these albums on CD, but I think they're so gorgeous. I mean, the Blue and Red boxes are so great! I want to buy them!

I seriously think that soon we'll see on the markets a 2-CD Beatles compilation.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 78 queries.