Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ringo & Marc Bolan  (Read 5555 times)

Bulldog

• A Beginning
Ringo & Marc Bolan
« on: November 07, 2019, 08:44:42 PM »

Didn't know Ringo was such a fan of T Rex. Being involved with their film. Elton also tagged along for a while.

The other Beatles were also complimentary towards them. As if they were trying pass on the baton.

Bolan denied that he said he was the successor to the Beatles. But claimed The Beatles had said that about him. Of course no one could succeed the Beatles, but T Rex were probably the first huge band in England of the early 70's.

Did Ringo & Bolan remain friends? I only saw Bowie & Rod Stewart at his funeral.

Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
Re: Ringo & Marc Bolan
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 02:01:45 AM »

Dfidn't know Ringo was such a fan of T Rex. Being involved with their film. Elton also tagged along for a while.

The other Beatles were also complimentary towards them. As if they were trying pass on the baton.

Bolan denied that he said he was the successor to the Beatles. But claimed The Beatles had said that about him. Of course no one could succeed the Beatles, but T Rex were probably the first huge band in England of the early 70's.

Did Ringo & Bolan remain friends? I only saw Bowie & Rod Stewart at his funeral.

Ringo had a very bad record attending funerals of friends....

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 05:32:40 PM »

I too always regarded T.Rex as "the first huge [pop] band in England of the early 70's." In that sense, broadly equating to The Shadows (first big group in Britain in the '60's). As The Shads were eclipsed by The Fabs, so T.Rex was in turn buried by the true successors of the 70s...a powerfully melodic quartet from the provinces, with their own built-in pair of songwriters, quickfire humour  and a string of immediate chart toppers: Slade.

But back to Ringo...he had a huge affection for Bolan (who directly inspired "Back Off Boogaloo"). Marc himself was part of a loose mutual appreciation society who in various permutations interacted and hung out together at that time... a foursome of flamboyant individuals (the others were Elton, Bowie & Mercury) all of whom (except perhaps Freddie?) seemed to court - or be courted by - Ringo around 1971-3.

An era when pop stars looked like proper pop stars, before bores like Phil Collins and all those dull shoe-gazers took over the charts, looking like the minicab drivers and scaffolders who live on every other street in your neighbourhood.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 11:30:30 PM »

An era when pop stars looked like proper pop stars...

...before bores like Phil Collins and all those dull shoe-gazers took over the charts, looking like the minicab drivers and scaffolders who live on every other street in your neighbourhood.

I can stay till it's time to go

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 01:14:10 AM »

I too always regarded T.Rex as "the first huge [pop] band in England of the early 70's." In that sense, broadly equating to The Shadows (first big group in Britain in the '60's). As The Shads were eclipsed by The Fabs, so T.Rex was in turn buried by the true successors of the 70s...a powerfully melodic quartet from the provinces, with their own built-in pair of songwriters, quickfire humour  and a string of immediate chart toppers: Slade.

But back to Ringo...he had a huge affection for Bolan (who directly inspired "Back Off Boogaloo"). Marc himself was part of a loose mutual appreciation society who in various permutations interacted and hung out together at that time... a foursome of flamboyant individuals (the others were Elton, Bowie & Mercury) all of whom (except perhaps Freddie?) seemed to court - or be courted by - Ringo around 1971-3.

An era when pop stars looked like proper pop stars, before bores like Phil Collins and all those dull shoe-gazers took over the charts, looking like the minicab drivers and scaffolders who live on every other street in your neighbourhood.

Funny how the scenes were different across the ponds.  T-Rex was basically a one hit wonder here in America while Slade wasn't even on the radar until a couple songs in the 80's (Cum On Feel The Noize - which Quiet Riot made popular and Run Runaway).  Zeppelin and Kiss were more of what the States were listening to.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 02:24:08 AM »

Funny how the scenes were different across the ponds.  T-Rex was basically a one hit wonder here in America while Slade wasn't even on the radar until a couple songs in the 80's (Cum On Feel The Noize - which Quiet Riot made popular and Run Runaway).  Zeppelin and Kiss were more of what the States were listening to.

Right.  The first time I ever heard of T-Rex was when Bang A Gong charted.  They had another hit that I can't remember the name of.

I never even heard of Slade until today!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 02:48:45 AM »

I too always regarded T.Rex as "the first huge [pop] band in England of the early 70's." In that sense, broadly equating to The Shadows (first big group in Britain in the '60's).

And here in The United States, Badfinger gained enormous popularity as The Beatles were disbanding.  We thought of them as "The Next Beatles."  It's a pity what happened to them.

In the late 70s, The Bay City Rollers were touted as "The Next Beatles."  What ever happened to them anyway?   ???

Pothos

• A Beginning
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2019, 10:31:28 AM »

I think T.Rex and Slade were under appreciated. Noddy Holder of Slade roadied for Plants band Listen in the 1970's Slade were massive; great records and great live they are a band I never understood not making it in the US. 

Pothos

• A Beginning
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2019, 11:01:51 AM »

As a kid of 4/5 years old I watched music programmes a lot and was never the same after I heard the glam rock bands. T Rex and Slade especially gave me that thrill of danger.

20th Century Boy - T Rex
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpMa6JADDJM" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpMa6JADDJM</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEv6jy_7PQQ" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEv6jy_7PQQ</a>

From the rather wonderful movie Slade in Flame

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ulvp0WCALq4" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ulvp0WCALq4</a>

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2019, 10:51:14 PM »

I think T.Rex and Slade were under appreciated. Noddy Holder of Slade roadied for Plants band Listen in the 1970's Slade were massive; great records and great live they are a band I never understood not making it in the US. 

You're not on your own, Pothos.

Elton John couldn't fathom it either: "You should have been the biggest thing over there since The Beatles" he once told Slade.

KISS certainly took note and later confessed they owed much of their visual stage presence to Slade's influence.

Ironically, Slade's big rivals in the UK 1972-75, The Sweet (or simply "Sweet", as some fans insist) developed a more AOR style and did moderately well in the States, whereas Slade never cracked America at the time. For American readers, this is a bit like imagining The Rolling Stones going down quite well in the U.S. but The Beatles failing miserably.

Seriously, guys - you missed out big time with your blind spot for Slade.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2019, 11:24:54 PM »

Ironically, Slade's big rivals in the UK 1972-75, The Sweet (or simply "Sweet", as some fans insist) developed a more AOR style and did moderately well in the States, whereas Slade never cracked America at the time.

In the early 70s, those my age considered The Sweet's Little Willy and Fox On The Run "Bubblegum Music."  Those songs charted well here nonetheless.  Kids loved that stuff.

It was their original version of Fox On The Run that I liked...

https://youtu.be/ERMEneOrTkI

The more popular version was just plain bubblegumed.  Too bad.  I thought they were breaking away from Bubblegum.  But they relapsed.

KelMar

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2019, 11:30:59 PM »

In the early 70s, those my age considered The Sweet's Little Willy and Fox On The Run "Bubblegum Music."  Those songs charted well here nonetheless.  Kids loved that stuff.

We did.  :)

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2019, 01:06:50 PM »

It was their original version of Fox On The Run that I liked...

Sweet had a running battle with their production/management team (Chinn & Chapman) who insisted in writing their bubblegum hit A sides. The Sweet got their own way with much edgier, rock oriented B sides, but these rarely got airplay. Would have been more to the tastes of more mature, discerning fans like yourself.

But at least you heard of them and acknowledged their popularity, albeit among the teenyboppers.

You mentioned not having heard of Slade until now which always bemuses me. Their hits tended to come straight into the charts at number one here in the UK (the last time that had happened was, you guessed it, The Beatles - with "Get Back") and they generally tended to always pip Sweet to the post here, in a Beatles v Stones sort of way.

More poppy and teenybop lightweight than either Slade or Sweet (or, indeed T.Rex) were The Osmonds who were huge over here around '72ish but only really bothered with by young girl fans (hordes of them though!). Their particular fanbase was eclipsed in 1975 with the tartan-clad Scottish group The Bay City Rollers.

There was a lot of juvenile, flamboyant fun around in the first half of the 70s in the UK (singles) charts and pop scene. Although there was a little bit of overlap, the Americans seemed to go for more introspective, mature stuff like Joni Mitchell, Three Dog Night, Carole King or Simon & Garfunkel etc.

Ironically I always got the feeling that the immediately solo Beatles were more popular Stateside than they were here at home.

Bulldog

• A Beginning
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2019, 01:42:29 PM »

Have always been aware of T Rex, but were before my time. So were the Beatles but my parents had the Red & Blue albums.

Singles were still a huge deal in the 70's & T Rex had an impressive run of hits. Most being good pop songs but nothing innovative. They were not an album band but will check out The Slider & Electric Warrior. May be a few gems.

Bulldog

• A Beginning
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2019, 01:49:04 PM »

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.tilldawn.net/InterviewReviewStory/TrexBeatles.html&ved=2ahUKEwio-KfQqOflAhVIRBUIHeJtDVgQFjAAegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw3yW5jA8LrMg5MuF7mLBsKy

John & Paul agreeing.

Paul & Ringo all quickly started bigging up T Rex. Paul was praising them after 'Ride a White Swan' which was their first top 10. While Ringo seemed to be all over them from day one.

Suspect the Beatles wanted the public to forget about the Beatles.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2019, 08:09:01 PM »

Sweet had a running battle with their production/management team (Chinn & Chapman) who insisted in writing their bubblegum hit A sides. The Sweet got their own way with much edgier, rock oriented B sides, but these rarely got airplay. Would have been more to the tastes of more mature, discerning fans like yourself.

But at least you heard of them and acknowledged their popularity, albeit among the teenyboppers.

Well, that explains it!  I was 20 when The Beatles broke up and as such, The Beatles played an important role in my teenage years.  I came of age with The Beatles just the way they came of age musically during those years.  I remember when I first heard Little Willy on the radio.  I thought it was definitely Bubblegum and thought of a whole new generation of teenyboppers that would just love that song.  Just as I had thought a few years earlier when Sgt. Pepper was released and psychedelic music was all the rage.  Music like that was too advanced for prepubescents but fortunately there were groups like The 1910 Fruitgum Company and The Ohio Express around to cater to them.  Tommy James and The Shondells too but they wound up stuck with the Bubblegum tag.

When The Sweet released Fox On The Run, I thought it was a pretty good song and I thought of it as "Heavy Bubblegum."  In those days, I listened to WBAI-FM which was a listener-sponsored station.  They played the original version that I posted right after playing the popular version.  I remember that evening like it was yesterday because I felt the original version was done so well.  But The Sweet's impact in the US was weak.  I'll give a listen to the B-sides you mentioned which I'm sure I'll appreciate.

If we had TOTP here in the US, maybe things would have been different for The Sweet...

https://youtu.be/96j6Ms6mDrI

There was a lot of juvenile, flamboyant fun around in the first half of the 70s in the UK (singles) charts and pop scene. Although there was a little bit of overlap, the Americans seemed to go for more introspective, mature stuff like Joni Mitchell, Three Dog Night, Carole King or Simon & Garfunkel etc.

You nailed it!  That's what my contemporaries and I were listening to in the early 1970s.  We loved Badfinger too, especially Pete Ham's sensitive ballads like Without You and Baby Blue.  We also gravitated to groups who gained popularity in the 60s and continued on into the 70s like The Hollies, The Rolling Stones and The Moody Blues.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2019, 10:22:30 PM »

We did.  :)

Yeah.  You missed the First Bubblegum Wave...

https://youtu.be/9sB4EeGixM4

KelMar

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2019, 10:39:03 PM »

^^^

That bunch always makes me turn the channel when I’m listening to the 60’s on 6! I didn’t even use that song when I taught, like some of my colleagues did.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2019, 11:06:44 PM »

^

Well, in 1967 kids weren't ready for stuff like this...

https://youtu.be/WANNqr-vcx0

Feed your head?!  I never said that.  That was Jefferson Airplane!

Pothos

• A Beginning
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2019, 11:20:46 PM »

I love Sweet, Blockbuster and Hellraiser were great tracks but I really loved this track where they ventured into prog pop.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0F-2mgyjw4" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0F-2mgyjw4</a>

Love is like Oxygen is still and amazing track.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 1.06 seconds with 77 queries.