Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: I will give Yoko her only due as an artist.  (Read 2186 times)

Wayne L.

I will give Yoko her only due as an artist.
« on: July 24, 2006, 09:26:22 PM »

I will give Yoko her only due as an artist, this is the only time, but she did alright & it wasn't any of her usual crap.  I think she was at her finest, without being embarrasing, on Sometime In NYC & Double Fantasy.  Sisters O Sisters is a great track, with Yoko at her best vocally, as well as all her tracks on DF, which is her finest moment, in Beatles history, as a wife.  If there are any hardcore Ono fans here, you can probably take anything, from scratching on a chalk board, listening to all her albums.  

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
Re: I will give Yoko her only due as an artist.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 11:11:50 PM »

I agree with you there Wayne - I happen to love Born In A Prison (from STINYC) and Kiss Kiss Kiss (from DF).

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 03:38:02 AM »

Ya sick bastards.

Bobber

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 07:51:41 AM »

I just can't listen to it. I think Double Fantasy is a bad album because of Yoko's part. Even John's songs sounds like his son Julian did with Too Late For Goodbyes (and maybe Julian did it even better than his dad, but that's another story). Double Fantasy was and is a great disappointment and Yoko's part doesn't make it better. She should never have gotten into the music and sticked to her own form of art.

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
  • Insanity is just a state of mind
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 09:01:17 PM »

i agree that her music is...well...disappointing to say the least (im sure you can come up with something better) but i still listen to DF (not so much her stuff) because it is his last album and as such, holds something special. her music on STINY is decent, better than most of her stuff but it wouldve been nice if she stayed out of the music altogether

...its like one of those "what if" questions that will take an eternity or really good computer program to figure out what the outcome would've been...
«if asking, begging and pleading doesn't work, always go with a song and dance number.» ;D
In need of a computer? visit Coughlin Computers http://coughlincomputers.tripod.com

Sea of Time

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 12:17:19 AM »

I've checked out some of Yoko's solo stuff stuff. I think there's about 45 minutes or so of worthwhile stuff. I listened to samples of Fly, Feeling the Space and A Story and was instantly turned off those, but I found I could get into some of what I heard off Yoko POB, Approximatley Infanite Universe and Season of Glass. I was already framilar with her tracks on Double Fantasy and Milk and Honey and apart from His Hands, had no probem with them.

The Yoko stuff I hated the most actually was the clips from It's Alright and Starpeace I heard on Amazon. I was more annoyed by her pop/ new age period than her experimental stuff.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 12:52:55 AM »

My favourite song is Walking On Thin Ice , i really like her vocal on that ,and Johns guitar is very good .
I remember Nile Rodger's of Chic saying it's a favourite of his .
I quite like some of her art peices , i remember seeing the South Bank Show a few years back and the profiled mostly her Art Work and for me she's as good as Tracey Eman ?

legthi

• Getting Better
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 12:57:17 AM »

Quote from: 971
and Johns guitar is very good .
quote]

Thats the thing, I always hear about how it's got great guitar work on it from John, but I never saw that personally. I actually find it hard to distinguish his guitar work from the rest of the song/music! Nothing particulary stands out...what GUITAR parts does he play on that song exactly! and then maybe I'll jump on the bandwagon..

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 03:07:21 AM »

She was lucky john was where he was to get on any of his work......I wish he had more backbone in that respect. Yoko may have offered symathy but not musical refuse in a constructive sense.

She turned me off most of his solo stuff.
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

Sea of Time

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 09:12:02 AM »

Songwise I like Why, Yang Yang and Kiss Kiss Kiss the most. Why has really aggressive blistering guitar, it's Cold Turkey taken to it's absolute extremes.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 10:31:17 AM »

Quote from: 666
Quote from: 971
and Johns guitar is very good .
quote]

Thats the thing, I always hear about how it's got great guitar work on it from John, but I never saw that personally. I actually find it hard to distinguish his guitar work from the rest of the song/music! Nothing particulary stands out...what GUITAR parts does he play on that song exactly! and then maybe I'll jump on the bandwagon..

Getting the sound right on this track was important to John he put a lot of effort into this record , and yes i would agree there is know blistering lead guitar solo but he got the groove right and for me it showed he was thinking musically again.

Paul Doherty

• A Beginning
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2008, 03:31:28 PM »

yoko rocks!

Out Of Me Head

• A Beginning
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 07:10:48 PM »

I stumbled across this podcast called 'Talk About The Passion'. Where a Yoko Ono fan defends his genuine admiration for this most controversial woman. Give it a go, it's a fun listen.  To quote:

"Talk About

Morninggloryseed

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2008, 07:17:51 PM »

Personally, I'm a big fan of Yoko.  Like an above poster said, I don't care for her 80s pop music (Paul McCartney is guilty of the same moves BTW), but some of her 70s material is very listenable and enjoyable.  Even off her Fly album, there are some good tracks where she sings.  Of course, I also enjoy her experimental side and totally dig Cambridge 1969, her LPIT tracks, and the rest.  No, I'd never listen to a chalk board scrape.  It isn't the same, thank you very much.  :)
Visit my blog for Beatle downloads..<br /><br />http://morninggloryseed-blog.blogspot.com/

Page created in 0.54 seconds with 65 queries.