Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: New Cat Stevens album  (Read 704 times)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
New Cat Stevens album
« on: November 02, 2006, 08:04:08 AM »

An Other Cup is the title given to an upcoming album by Yusuf Islam (formerly known as Cat Stevens). It is scheduled to be released on November 14, 2006, and will be Islam's first pop album since Back to Earth, which was released in 1978 under the name Cat Stevens.

The album is produced by Rick Nowels and Yusuf, and will be distributed by Atlantic Records in North America, in a venture with Yusuf's own label, Ya Records. It features guest performances from Alun Davies and Jean Roussel, two of Yusuf's long time friends, as well as Youssou N'Dour. It will feature a cover of "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood", while the song "Heaven/Where True Love Goes" is suggested as a single.[1]

Craig Kallman, the Chief Executive Officer of Atlantic Records, has described the new record as speaking to 'the essence of all the great Cat Stevens albums of the past', adding, 'It was a chilling experience sitting in a very tiny rehearsal room as he was working through all the new material'.[2]

In a statement regarding the album, Yusuf said, 'I feel right about making music and singing about life in this fragile world again. It is important for me to be able to help bridge the cultural gaps others are sometimes frightened to cross.'[3]

I really can't wait to hear this.  :)
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Re: New Cat Stevens album
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 07:29:42 PM »

Isn't Yusuf Islams music different to cat stevens?

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 07:42:32 PM »

From what I gathered on the TV, he's back into the same sound. But whereas originally he was looking for the spiritual answer in his songs, now he obviously believes he's found it.
All You Need Is LOVE!

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 08:58:27 PM »

Quote from: 197
Isn't Yusuf Islams music different to cat stevens?

He retired from making pop music in 1978 and has only recorded spoken word and religious music since. But apparently this new album will be an old fashioned Cat Stevens-album.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 09:01:42 PM »

Quote from: 139
From what I gathered on the TV, he's back into the same sound. But whereas originally he was looking for the spiritual answer in his songs, now he obviously believes he's found it.

He wants to bring Muslims and the western world a little bit closer together. And since he's a well respected spokesman for Muslims and a pop icon in the western world, I think it's a good idea.

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2006, 01:00:33 PM »

Quote from: 56

He wants to bring Muslims and the western world a little bit closer together. And since he's a well respected spokesman for Muslims and a pop icon in the western world, I think it's a good idea.

Yes, we need more like him. Carlos Santana is like that too, but includes too much vague spiritual assertion in what he says. Just too hippy really. But puts his money where his mouth is. It's the same with Jon Anderson. Why can't they just say 'please remember to be kind to your fellow human beings' or something worthwhile like that?
All You Need Is LOVE!

apple sauce

• Getting Better
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2006, 10:25:49 PM »

The gentleman has had numerous name changes throuhout his life. Even the "Cat Stevens" one is not his original name? He has one of the best "Folk" voices going and the Morning Has Broken is one of the best songs of all time!

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2006, 01:33:41 PM »

He was born as Steven Demetre Georgiou, Cat Stevens was his stage name. He later changed his name to Yusuf Islam because as a Muslim you must have an Islamic name.

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 51 queries.