Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Long/Short Singles  (Read 1671 times)

Long/Short Singles
« on: October 23, 2007, 10:56:58 AM »

Paul seemed to have a thing for making long singles in the 70's , why do you think that was ? had he lost the nack of knocking out a good 2 minute number ? was he giving us value for money or just trying to bore us into submission ?
I think it's a bit of a problem as Wingspan had a lot of  single edit's on it, and i like to hear the full song if it's great like " Junior's Farm " although some do drag on a bit like  " With A Little Luck " or " Silly Love Songs " are you a long or short single fan ? and should a compilation always give us the full song like " Wings Greatest " did  ?

DaveRam :)
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

BlueMeanie

Re: Long/Short Singles
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 11:03:57 AM »

I'm a fan of the classic 3 minute single. I liken it to a hit and run.

I think if the album is a greatest hits package then it should be the singles, and not the album versions.

Buttmunker

• Getting Better
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 03:42:25 PM »

I once heard the long version of "With A Little Luck," and I was like c'mon already!!! Finish with that nice little duuuu-duh!

So I guess that, since I was brought up with the short versions, that I'm a short singles kind of guy.  But that's not written in stone.

I grew up always hearing Tommy James & The Shondells short version of "Crimson & Clover," and never knew that a long version existed.  Once day I sought it out, listened to it, and sh*t-canned the short version forever!  

So I guess it depends.  If I listen to an album version from McCartney, and I happen to dig it, then it becomes the Staple.

But I only heard the long version of the aforementioned song, and didn't care for that long, drawn-out organ solo.

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 05:41:22 PM »

With A little Luck is ok on London Town , but it's better in a short version for a single , i think the longer live version of Maybe I'm Amazed  was good too, although im not sure if that was edited for radio ?

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2007, 09:17:24 PM »

Quote from: 483
I'm a fan of the classic 3 minute single. I liken it to a hit and run.

Me Too!! ;)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

wingsman

• Getting Better
  • There is always a reason to live
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 01:44:20 PM »

Quote from: 679
With A little Luck is ok on London Town , but it's better in a short version for a single , i think the longer live version of Maybe I'm Amazed  was good too, although im not sure if that was edited for radio ?

Maybe I'm Amazed was not edited for radio, as much as I know.
You're right about With A Little Luck. When I first heard that song it was the single edit, you know, 3:20, and it was great. When I bought London Town I was ready to listen to a 5:45 version and it became soooo boring. It was terrible. (For this only, God bless radio edits!)

And what about Junior's Farm? It was cutted from 4:20 to 3:03.
And what about Watterfalls? It was cutted from 4:43 to 3:20.
They're great edits, I think. Watterfalls became boring being so long, for example. Junior's Farm is probably better in the complete version, but the 3-minute edit is also pretty good. I suppose a edit for 'Let 'Em In' would be a good chance. I mean, I hate that song!  ;D
I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't eat trash... I work out hard everyday and have a healthy life. And I'm proud of it.

Buttmunker

• Getting Better
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 03:05:59 AM »

Quote from: 713
I suppose a edit for 'Let 'Em In' would be a good chance. I mean, I hate that song!  ;D

"Let Em In" starts off great - with that bass strummin'...I do think, however, that it is one chorus too long.  It would have been an excellent decision to edit the song and lose the third chorus, which really just repeats the 2nd chorus (the roll call).

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 03:01:18 PM »

I kind of agree that Silly Love Spngs should have been edited as a
Single, his singles were getting quite long by  that time. with a little luck, let em in,

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

wingsman

• Getting Better
  • There is always a reason to live
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 08:43:40 PM »

Quote from: 828

"It would have been an excellent decision to edit the song and lose the third chorus, which really just repeats the 2nd chorus (the roll call).

Good point. And what about that 'false fade'. What the hell was that?
I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't eat trash... I work out hard everyday and have a healthy life. And I'm proud of it.

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2007, 10:09:53 PM »

I wish Silly Love songs and With A Little Luck were 2 seconds long.  Both of them are drags.

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 52 queries.