Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 107

Author Topic: Last movies you saw & what you thought of them  (Read 200882 times)

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
Re: Last movies you saw & what you thought of them
« Reply #1720 on: April 10, 2021, 07:01:13 PM »

^^^^

I bet that was great on the big screen.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #1721 on: April 10, 2021, 08:56:03 PM »

^

This isn't the first time King Kong and Godzilla had at it...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4rGq9kyeM0" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4rGq9kyeM0</a>

Mount Fuji   1962

;D

I can stay till it's time to go

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #1722 on: April 11, 2021, 08:36:48 PM »

Greenland

Typical armageddon movie, but very well acted.  Liked it a lot, but wasnt crazy about the ending.  There's worse ways to spend a couple hours.

I just finished this one. I normally don't care for apocalyptic-type plots, but I enjoyed it. Very tense, esp. toward the end.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 09:25:50 AM by Normandie »

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #1723 on: April 12, 2021, 01:44:07 AM »

My lads really want to see that. We watched Skull Island which was quite fun so know what to expect.

Skull Island is a better movie.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #1724 on: April 12, 2021, 08:39:54 AM »

Skull Island is a better movie.

Oh ...

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #1725 on: April 13, 2021, 01:41:41 PM »

The Penthouse
Massive pile of dung
1/10
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #1726 on: April 13, 2021, 08:14:37 PM »

The Penthouse
Massive pile of dung
1/10

ha2ha

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #1727 on: April 17, 2021, 03:32:49 PM »

The fanedit version of Cameron's Titanic, the one I gushed about yesterday in the Random Thoughts section.

Beautiful and touching. I had tears pricking my eyes at the end. Lots of extra scenes were included that did not make it into the commercial release. I would highly recommend this.

Just in case anyone lurking is interested, here's the URL: http://titanicofficers.com/titanicmovie.html

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #1728 on: April 17, 2021, 09:32:46 PM »

^^^

It sounds interesting ( and doing away with Jack and rose is no great loss) But how  can they getaway with doing this without sanction from the rights owners? I assume this isn’t approved by James Cameron et al.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1729 on: April 17, 2021, 09:47:28 PM »

The fanedit version of Cameron's Titanic, the one I gushed about yesterday in the Random Thoughts section.

Beautiful and touching. I had tears pricking my eyes at the end. Lots of extra scenes were included that did not make it into the commercial release. I would highly recommend this.

Just in case anyone lurking is interested, here's the URL: http://titanicofficers.com/titanicmovie.html

Thank-you for posting that link, Kathy!  I downloaded the fanedit version and just finished watching it.  At last there is a watchable version of James Cameron's Titanic.  I didn't see the motion picture when it was in the theaters and shut the movie off twice when it got to cable.  This fanedit ranks up there with A Night To Remember.  Yes, the pathos in the ending moved me to tears too.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #1730 on: April 17, 2021, 10:03:01 PM »

But how  can they getaway with doing this without sanction from the rights owners? I assume this isn’t approved by James Cameron et al.

Ah, I meant to mention that. Cameron's name was all over the credits, so it must have his approval. Publishing the fanedit version without his permission would be an egregious copyright violation. I can't imagine he'd just let that slide. 

Viewers must (on the honor system) click a box confirming that they have already purchased a copy of the original movie before they watch the fanedit version.

Thank-you for posting that link, Kathy!  I downloaded the fanedit version and just finished watching it.  At last there is a watchable version of James Cameron's Titanic.  I didn't see the motion picture when it was in the theaters and shut the movie off twice when it got to cable.  This fanedit ranks up there with A Night To Remember.  Yes, the pathos in the ending moved me to tears too.

I'm so glad you liked it, Barry! I have tried several times to scan through the Jack and Rose parts on the original, but it's a frustrating endeavor. That last ending part, with Ismay boarding the Carpathia under scornful eyes, was not in the commercial release.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 10:04:47 PM by Normandie »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1731 on: April 17, 2021, 11:45:28 PM »

That last ending part, with Ismay boarding the Carpathia under scornful eyes, was not in the commercial release.

I found that scene very odd, Kathy.  Passengers in steerage would not have known who he was.  I suppose James Cameron interjected his own opinion of Ismay when shooting that scene   And his opinion generally matches all of our own.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #1732 on: April 18, 2021, 12:58:54 AM »

The Mauritanian
Horrific but compelling.
Superb acting.
8/10
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #1733 on: April 18, 2021, 01:02:19 AM »

I found that scene very odd, Kathy.  Passengers in steerage would not have known who he was.  I suppose James Cameron interjected his own opinion of Ismay when shooting that scene   And his opinion generally matches all of our own.

Quite right; they would not have. That didn't occur to me as I watched today.

I, for one, think Ismay was unfairly vilified.  :(

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1734 on: April 18, 2021, 01:38:02 AM »

Quite right; they would not have. That didn't occur to me as I watched today.

I wonder what that one woman was muttering as she looked Ismay squarely in the eye.

I, for one, think Ismay was unfairly vilified.  :(

As far as him sneaking onto the lifeboat being lowered, he is justly vilified.  But others, both aboard and not aboard The Titanic, also warrant vilification to some extent.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #1735 on: April 18, 2021, 05:53:08 AM »

Ah, I meant to mention that. Cameron's name was all over the credits, so it must have his approval. Publishing the fanedit version without his permission would be an egregious copyright violation. I can't imagine he'd just let that slide. 

Viewers must (on the honor system) click a box confirming that they have already purchased a copy of the original movie before they watch the fanedit version.

That’s interesting. I’ve never seen this done in an official way before. Will have to give it a watch

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #1736 on: April 18, 2021, 03:16:25 PM »

As far as him sneaking onto the lifeboat being lowered, he is justly vilified.

Well, that's an opinion, and one I don't happen to share. Many maritime historians don't—fellow "deplorable" Dan Butler being one of them. 

That’s interesting. I’ve never seen this done in an official way before. Will have to give it a watch

If you do, please share your thoughts. I found out about it purely by chance after making a flip comment on an ocean liner Instagram account.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 05:39:14 PM by Normandie »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1737 on: April 18, 2021, 07:59:56 PM »

Well, that's an opinion, and one I don't happen to share. Many maritime historians don't—fellow "deplorable" Dan Butler being one of them. 

Kathy, I'll certainly defer to the maritime historians and to you out of respect for your many years of reading and research of the Titanic disaster.  The extent of my knowledge of the event is having read A Night To Remember and watching three motion pictures; A Night To Remember, Titanic (1953), and now this Titanic fanedit.

Perhaps "vilified" is too strong a term to be casually used in reference to Ismay.  If he was indeed running around shouting "women and children first," as he was portrayed in the novel and films, then he should at least be criticized for not leading a woman to the lifeboat and seating her.  Certainly there were many women, and children, standing on deck at the moment he decided to get into the lifeboat.  I've read that there were several instances of noble behavior on the part of male passengers.

I mentioned that there were others. both aboard and not aboard the Titanic, responsible, in part, for the disaster.  Specifically they are Captain Smith, Thomas Andrews, the White Star Line, and the crew of the Californian.

This leads to a view I have regarding the scarcity of of noble behavior in contemporary times.  But this would be a topic of further discussion in another thread.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #1738 on: April 18, 2021, 11:02:40 PM »

Bruce Ismay was, as we all are, a fallible human being.

In point of fact, eyewitness testimony tells us that no, there were no women and children nearby when Ismay entered the lifeboat.

I fail to see what fault you could possibly find with Thomas Andrews, Barry, but, out of a reluctance to irritate the other forum members with Titanic minutiae, this will be my last post on the topic of culpability for the sinking.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1739 on: April 19, 2021, 12:21:08 AM »

First, Kathy, you're not irritating anyone when you post Titanic history.  As you're well-informed about the subject, your informed comments are always welcome.

I watched the scene again, in both A Night To Remember and the Titanic fanedit where Bruce Ismay stepped into the lifeboat.  Indeed, no women and children were nearby.

I included Thomas Andrews because he had installed davits which could support two lifeboats each but allowed himself to be overruled by "others."  I suspect he knew Titanic wasn't unsinkable, especially with the design of the "watertight" compartments.  He should have insisted on the extra lifeboats.

Yes, we are all fallible.  But with so many mistakes made by so many people that night, we were unfortunately left with this tragedy.
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 107

Page created in 1.294 seconds with 75 queries.