Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 501 502 [503] 504 505 ... 527

Author Topic: Random Thoughts  (Read 650406 times)

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
Re: Random Thoughts
« Reply #10040 on: June 29, 2019, 12:28:38 AM »

Your father is offering sound advice, Kathleen.  Private colleges today are doing this very thing to recruit students that they feel will excel.  He should definitely apply.  The "visit" will be a scheduled meeting with members of the admission committee where, amongst other things, financial considerations will be discussed.  Don't let him pass up this offer.  Harvard is interested in him!

Thanks, Barry! I will encourage him to apply. I've told him that an interview will almost certainly be a part of the application process. He's definitely not as sophisticated as most of their applicants, I fear, having spent most of his childhood in rural Nevada and now North Dakota.

The letter did make it clear that financial concerns should not prevent him from applying.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #10041 on: June 29, 2019, 02:05:37 AM »

He's definitely not as sophisticated as most of their applicants...

That's the kind of student they want!  Sophistication has no bearing on academic ability.

When I interview for hospital residency positions, I look favorably on naivete.
I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10042 on: July 01, 2019, 04:03:32 AM »

Birthdays: GroovinUpSlowly (29), CleanOldMan (30), McCartney (30), SemolinaPilchard (31)

Happy Birthday to you all wherever you are!

These were some members of the Forum early on.  They chose some pretty neat Forum names.  :)

KelMar

« Reply #10043 on: July 01, 2019, 04:58:51 AM »

^^^
Yes, I’ve noticed those great names in the past. They are all close in age to my kids, too. How can that be when I still feel like I should be in my 30’s?  ;D

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10044 on: July 03, 2019, 05:42:00 AM »

^^^
Yes, I’ve noticed those great names in the past. They are all close in age to my kids, too. How can that be when I still feel like I should be in my 30’s?  ;D

Time , Hurry's on, look and it's gone.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #10045 on: July 03, 2019, 07:04:38 AM »

Time , Hurry's on, look and it's gone.

https://youtu.be/TwbaRzcp3B4

Let’s have the whole song then ....

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #10046 on: July 03, 2019, 12:37:59 PM »

They are all close in age to my kids, too. How can that be when I still feel like I should be in my 30’s?  ;D

I believe I know exactly how you feel, Kelley!  ;D

On the other hand, my kids seem to think I just sprang (sprung?) out of the ground at age 45 or something, a serious, boring old fuddy duddy. A few weeks ago my older daughter and I were discussing "Don't Stop Me Now" (Queen), and I told her it sounds exactly like a song my friends and I would dance around to while getting ready to go out to the bars, and she got insultingly hysterical.   >:(

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #10047 on: July 03, 2019, 12:40:32 PM »

Sigh. No Twilight Zone marathon on SyFy this year. I normally don't watch it on the Fourth, but my older daughter and I had a fight, and I canceled my trip to see her. (If that sounds harsh, she was acting very obnoxious.)

Decades is hosting one (called "Rod, White, and Blue"; I love it!), but we of course don't get that channel out here in the sticks.  icon_mad

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10048 on: July 03, 2019, 01:33:03 PM »

Kathleen, you both will ultimately make up so go visit your daughter.  You can watch the Twilight Zone Marathon while you're there.  ;)

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #10049 on: July 03, 2019, 03:06:34 PM »

Kathleen, you both will ultimately make up so go visit your daughter.  You can watch the Twilight Zone Marathon while you're there.  ;)

I would definitely rather see my daughter! Unfortunately she is off to a lake cabin with some friends. (And she was seriously disrespectful earlier; after our argument she said she "needed to think" about whether she still wanted me to come up. I was like, "I'm not holding my breath while you decide what I can do!"). She's half-Irish and half Eastern European, which adds up to one fiery, bullheaded girl. (So am I, actually.)

So, she'll go to the lake, and she's coming home (I hope!) for a week in August.

Thanks for the input!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10050 on: July 03, 2019, 03:51:58 PM »

She's half-Irish and half Eastern European...

You needn't say anything more.

Have a good July Fourth Weekend, Kathleen!

KelMar

« Reply #10051 on: July 03, 2019, 06:26:51 PM »

I’m sorry that happened, Kathy. It’s hard but sometimes you do have to take a stand. I guarantee, she’ll be thinking, all right.

KelMar

« Reply #10052 on: July 03, 2019, 06:32:21 PM »

I believe I know exactly how you feel, Kelley!  ;D

On the other hand, my kids seem to think I just sprang (sprung?) out of the ground at age 45 or something, a serious, boring old fuddy duddy. A few weeks ago my older daughter and I were discussing "Don't Stop Me Now" (Queen), and I told her it sounds exactly like a song my friends and I would dance around to while getting ready to go out to the bars, and she got insultingly hysterical.   >:(

Kids! Speaking of that song, it seems like everyone is using it for commercials lately. I don’t think it works too well for L’Oreal!

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #10053 on: July 04, 2019, 01:28:34 PM »

I’m sorry that happened, Kathy. It’s hard but sometimes you do have to take a stand. I guarantee, she’ll be thinking, all right.

Thanks, Kelley. It's been rough. We've made up and are speaking again, but she didn't budge from her position, and I certainly wasn't going to beg her.  :(

Kids! Speaking of that song, it seems like everyone is using it for commercials lately. I don’t think it works too well for L’Oreal!

Oh, I haven't heard it used in a commercial, probably because I usually watch only shows I've DVR'd and then scan through the commercials.

I noticed several months ago that "Sympathy for the Devil" was being used in ads for the movie "The Secret Life of Pets." That one's a head-scratcher.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #10054 on: July 04, 2019, 01:30:14 PM »

You needn't say anything more.

ha2ha 

Have a good July Fourth Weekend, Kathleen!

Thanks; you too, Barry!

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
« Reply #10055 on: July 06, 2019, 01:25:44 AM »

My random thought tonight is actually a random question.  Why does my right jaw hurt?  It feels really tender at times.  This started last night and it's been on and off all day today, including now.

Is there a doctor in this House of Beatlemania?
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10056 on: July 06, 2019, 12:57:43 PM »

My random thought tonight is actually a random question.  Why does my right jaw hurt?  It feels really tender at times.  This started last night and it's been on and off all day today, including now.

Is there a doctor in this House of Beatlemania?
Yes there is. And he does faces.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #10057 on: July 06, 2019, 02:57:07 PM »

Perhaps TMJ from clenching your jaw at night, or perhaps during the day?

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
« Reply #10058 on: July 06, 2019, 03:18:58 PM »

Well, I do have TMJ, which was diagnosed about 2 years ago.

Actually, my neck feels much better this morning.

Thank you, Doctor Normandie.
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.

KelMar

« Reply #10059 on: July 12, 2019, 12:33:18 AM »

Oh my goodness. Saturday is Heritage Day here where I live. Every year I put together a Powerpoint on some aspect of our library’s history. I really love doing it but this year it took me forever to narrow it down.
I haven’t crammed like this since college!
Pages: 1 ... 501 502 [503] 504 505 ... 527

Page created in 0.818 seconds with 75 queries.