Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Possible Obstacles to the Beatles Success  (Read 3688 times)

KelMar

Re: Possible Obstacles to the Beatles Success
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2020, 03:38:33 AM »

Loco, you are a real mover and shaker here!

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2020, 05:22:50 AM »

^^^
These a real Loco Effect at play on this site. He starts posting again and threads start flowing.  icon_good

Someone might need to remake Oh Yoko as Oh Loco as a tribute.

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2020, 05:07:22 PM »

Moog:  I love that song, "Oh Yoko."  One morning months ago, I went to a Starbucks early morning for some breakfast and coffee.  Outside of the lobby, there was some piped-in music playing.  I didn't recognize it at first because it was an instrumental part that was playing.  It was so beautiful.  It took my breath away.  I stopped and listened a bit longer before I entered and then heard John's voice.  Even today remembering this, it takes my breath away.  It was such a beautiful setting for the start of an ordinary week day.

BTW:  Everyone here is really encouraging me to post most.  I've never encountered so many affirmations in one place before.  Yes, I was in absentia for a time but I think I needed that space.  I needed to go to the Moon and sit there a while with my eyes and ears turned away from our blue planet Earth.  I needed to rediscover myself not as a pile of fashioned clay or mud but as a creature of a timeless and infinite universe.  So much for being a cog in a huge wheel, I needed to believe in something more than the symbolic wheel of anonymity and oblivion.  I still haven't found myself because of all the mirrors everywhere, reflecting me back to me and seeing the faces of others in my own eyes and countenance.

We are on a mysterious trek across the universe.  One time we're here and in another time we are light years away from where we used to be.  And time is occurring all at once.  Everything is happening all together, past, present and future.  But something incomprehensible extinguishes any awareness we may have of the separate components of our existence which are continually subsumed into the greater hole of the Whole.

Why did I write this?  It's the universe speaking of itself through one of its creatures.  It is conscious and alive and because of it we know we exist or suspect that we do.

So, let it be.  Later.
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2020, 10:12:38 PM »

Remember, Loco, we are all on that same trek.  And we're all made of the same stuff.  As Joni Mitchell so eloquently said:

We are stardust (billion year-old carbon)
We are golden
And we got to get ourselves
Back to the garden

She was off by a few billion years but so what?!   ;D

I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2020, 10:33:12 PM »

Paul might have joined or formed another group. 

Or maybe he would have been a solo act.  He was good at that...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8LbJfC0SYM&amp;feature=emb_title" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8LbJfC0SYM&amp;feature=emb_title</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQJ2ROrjbfs" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQJ2ROrjbfs</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH6i9JAdJrQ" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH6i9JAdJrQ</a>
I can stay till it's time to go

Casbah

• A Beginning
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2020, 07:00:29 AM »

I was just thinking of things that could have prevented the Beatles from being the greatest band ever.  Here's a few:

If they hadn't met Brian Epstein.
If they hadn't met George Martin.
If they hadn't gotten Ringo into the band.
ESPECIALLY:  If John and Paul never met - NO BEATLES PERIOD!
If the individual Beatles were not in the same age/generational grouping.
If the Beatles existed in a different decade such as the 1930s or 40s.
If John's and Paul's moms hadn't died prematurely - would this have affected anything??  It could have affected the meaningful bond they shared together which made them closer and more empathetic toward each other's lives and personalities.
If Stu had lived, would this have affected the Beatles development in any way?  Very unsure about this one.
If Astrid's photos of them had never been taken - how important was that?  They certainly added to their pre-fame mystique.
If John never met Yoko - this would have been a later development but it is important to consider as a possible cause for the Beatles ultimate breakup.
If the Beatles early records didn't sell at the enormous levels that they did.
If they hadn't appeared on the Ed Sullivan show.

So anyway, I think there's more what-ifs.  What do you all think about possible scenarios or conditions that may have prevented the Beatles from being successful??

I'd like to take a stab at a few of these :)
I think your first is the MOST important. Brian Epstein was a machine. I don't think anyone else could've done for the Beatles what this man did. He was in love with this band and they became his obsession and he ABSOLUTELY would not give up until they were a success and I don't think there was anyone else in their orbit who would've done what he did to make this happen.  Most people would've given up due to rejection after a short while. I always marvel at Brian's tenacity to bring this band success at any cost, which was his own, in the beginning.

On number 4, I think John and Paul would've eventually met. John was older, but Paul was coming up. He was learning. As far as musicians go, especially when you're that age, you're aware of who is a musician in your town/city. It would've eventually gotten around to John, hey there's this guy who plays pretty good guitar and can sing even better. Maybe not that year, but within a reasonable amount of time. Since they had mutual friends it was bound to happen sooner or later and since their early bond was over wanting to be songwriters (as well as their mothers' premature deaths) which was a rare aspiration back then, I think it was in the cards either way.

"Someone told me a few minutes ago they saw John walking on the street once wearing a button saying "I Love Paul." And this girl said she asked him, "Why are you wearing a button that says ' I Love Paul'? He said "Because I love Paul."

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2020, 09:16:31 PM »

Thanks, Casbah, for the comments.  I think you're right about Brian Epstein and how important he was.  It's possible the Beatles would not have arrived without him.

Some people speculate that the Beatles would have been successful no matter what.  I doubt this.  There are a lot of failed ventures and businesses in the world.  They are probably many anonymous and ordinary everyday people who could have been famous given the right circumstances.  I mean if the Beatles hadn't gotten the EMI audition and no recording deal - think about it.

If John and Paul would have met regardless - well, that's speculation.  It reminds me of someone who told me he would not have met his future wife if they had not worked together for a certain company.  You might assume that perhaps they'd have met anyway - but, who knows?
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.861 seconds with 54 queries.