Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Excellent albums  (Read 8524 times)

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
Re: Excellent albums
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2015, 05:10:18 AM »

Too right I called it rubbish.
I've no interest in going anywhere near a Genesis album, no, but you called it influential.

Who exactly, of any stature, was 'influenced' by Genesis. Kate Bush, at a push? Marillion?!
If 'influential' at all, certainly in England, they prompted people to find something different i.e. punk.

Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, Elvis Presley, Little Richard.....that's your 'influential', not Genesis.
They influenced The Beatles, The Stones, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Dylan.....
All about timing, I'm afraid.

Bobber

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2015, 08:35:18 AM »

I've no interest in going anywhere near a Genesis album, no, but you called it influential.

Who exactly, of any stature, was 'influenced' by Genesis. Kate Bush, at a push? Marillion?!
If 'influential' at all, certainly in England, they prompted people to find something different i.e. punk.

Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, Elvis Presley, Little Richard.....that's your 'influential', not Genesis.
They influenced The Beatles, The Stones, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Dylan.....
All about timing, I'm afraid.

Chuck and Elvis and all the others were influenced by others before them. It's a cascade. And where is the source of it all? So everyone gets influenced by artists before them.
As for Genesis: I wouldn't buy a Genesis album myself. I can imagine you won't be buying a Radiohead album. But yes, it has influenced many artists. So has Prince and even Madonna.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2015, 11:01:12 AM »

Bands all over Europe and the world were influenced by Gabriel era Genesis, there was this massive movement in music in the 70's called progressive rock hundreds of bands worldwide were influenced by Genesis, King Crimson, Yes & Pink Floyd, your problem is you closed your ears to anything past 1970 so you will not be aware of these hundreds of bands,  you wont ever acknowledge Pink Floyd after they stopped being THE Pink Floyd in 1967,

I dont know why I am debating this with you as I may as well debate with a lamp-post, your ears are closed to the 70's and what people were listening to. Rubbish it may be to you, but to millions it was great music.

Have a read at this if you think I am so wrong about Genesis;

From Wiki

Legacy
As a group that were part of the growth of the progressive rock genre, Genesis have been cited as a principal influence on the neo-progressive rock subgenre which emerged in the 1980s,[125] featuring bands including Marillion,[126] IQ,[127] Pendragon,[128] and Pallas.[129] Other bands influenced by Genesis include Rush, whose drummer, Neil Peart, is a huge fan of Collins as a drummer,[130][131] Queen,[132][133] Iron Maiden,[134] Sound of Contact,[135] Mostly Autumn,[136] and Dream Theater.[137] Simple Minds singer Jim Kerr's first concert was on the band's Foxtrot tour, which he described as "just the most terrific gig and in a way my life was never quite the same again". He states it as one of his favourite albums.[138] They have also been an influence on Guy Garvey of alternative rock band Elbow, who cites 1970s Genesis and Gabriel's solo career.[139] Taylor Hawkins, drummer of Foo Fighters, has described Seconds Out as "amazing" and declared: "Collins is an incredible drummer. Anyone who wants to be good on the drums should check him out – the man is a master."[140] Singer and songwriter Robert Pollard of Guided by Voices said, "Genesis with Peter Gabriel might be my biggest influence",
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2015, 11:56:19 AM »

If were talking importance then Sgt Pepper is way ahead of the rest, it was monumentally important, it basically gave all other artists carte blanche to experiment in the studio

others Id pick;

Heavy Weather - Weather Report (perfect blending of Jazz & Rock and Jaco's finest moments)
Close To The Edge - Yes
Low - David Bowie
In The Court Of The Crimson King - King Crimson (the first full blown progressive rock album)
Dark Side Of The Moon - Pink Floyd (monumentally brilliant)
Revolver - Beatles (truly great songwriting and very influential)
Whats The Story - Oasis (started Britpop, a return to guitars and drums and pure songs after years of synth oriented rock) stacked with great songs
Selling England By The Pound - Genesis (incredibly influential)
After The Goldrush - Neil Young
LA Woman - The Doors
Rumours - Fleetwood Mac (superb faultless songwriting - timeless)

That's a very balanced and intelligently thought out list indeed.

I'm not a fan but I suppose it would be churlish not to acknowledge the quality and impact of Michael Jackson's "Thriller".

"Tapestry" by Carole King was something of a landmark, raising the bar and flying the flag for the female singer/songwriter.

And I would like to give a shout for Paul Simon's "Graceland" - controversial at the time but a polished and brave piece of work which surely influenced the wider acceptance of African music.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2015, 01:20:00 PM »

And I would like to give a shout for Paul Simon's "Graceland" - controversial at the time but a polished and brave piece of work which surely influenced the wider acceptance of African music.

I agree. A great album. I also liked his follow up Rhythm of the Saints. It disappeared commercially but I thought it was a great listen.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2015, 03:19:13 PM »

Being Beatle - and by association white guitar driven music - fans our lists are going to have a lot in common.
I'd like to give a nod to Kaftwerks Autobahn and The Ords Adventures Beyond albums for electronic and house music.
We should probably give something  by Bob Marley a tick, and the Ramones or New York City Dolls?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 03:59:52 PM by Kevin »
don't follow leaders

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2015, 11:50:08 PM »

That's a very balanced and intelligently thought out list indeed.

I'm not a fan but I suppose it would be churlish not to acknowledge the quality and impact of Michael Jackson's "Thriller".

"Tapestry" by Carole King was something of a landmark, raising the bar and flying the flag for the female singer/songwriter.

Yes Mr M.......It seems a bit teenybopperish to admit to being a fan of Thriller, but I am and should have included it, some of the basslines are entities in their own right, listen to the one on the title track..........wonderful, sometimes I pick up my bass and just play Jackson basslines, they groove so well, listen to the bassline on ABC their (The Jacksons) seemingly childish No 1 hit. brilliant.
And of course Thriller is full of great melody AND I believe the worlds biggest selling album ever !

There a girl on youtube (or there was) who played all The Jacksons basslines perfectly, cant find it now

Graceland is indeed a fine album

Some would include a nod too The Smiths/Morrisey on this list as well.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2015, 12:53:51 AM »

I'd put Dummy by Portishead on there as well.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2015, 08:13:44 AM »

Being Beatle - and by association white guitar driven music - fans our lists are going to have a lot in common.
I'd like to give a nod to Kaftwerks Autobahn and The Ords Adventures Beyond albums for electronic and house music.
We should probably give something  by Bob Marley a tick, and the Ramones or New York City Dolls?

I put a Jazz fusion in my picks Kevin but Id also like to include Miles Davies, Kind Of Blue & John Coltrane, A Love Supreme..........2 outstanding Jazz albums and mega important/influential.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 1.287 seconds with 56 queries.