Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Stamp Out The Beatles ?  (Read 12328 times)

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
Stamp Out The Beatles ?
« on: March 16, 2008, 07:59:43 PM »

I've been trying to find out why Brian Epstein was wearing this shirt with " Stamp Out The Beatles " on it , anyone know the story behind this picture ?

(confused)
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Bobber

Re: Stamp Out The Beatles ?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 08:57:03 PM »

It had to do with the last tour of The Beatles through the US, after the infamous 'Bigger Than Jesus' remark. Some information on the topic here: http://www.dmbeatles.com/forums/m-1098233061/s-11/
It was part of the campaign to get the Beatles out of the country.

George wore a shirt in 1967:

I think that it might have taken some time to get Brian wearing the shirt as a joke. Funny thing is that the shirts have become quite popular in more recent days. Paul Weller once wore one.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 09:31:48 PM »

Dhani has inherited George's shirt. I seem to recall seeing a picture of him wearing it.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 11:11:57 PM »

I was getting nowhere  trying to find out the story behind the picture , my searches kept leading me to postage stamps of The Beatles and i knew they had to be more to it than that.
So were these shirts worn by the protesters who burnt The Beatles records after John's comment about Jesus ?
George looks very fetching in his  (rolling4) Brian looks like he's modelling for Littlewoods catalogue .
Thank you for the help (rolling2)

PaulieBear

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tomorrow Never Knows
    • Twitter: Sammi_CoJo
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 11:47:23 PM »

I want one!

I wonder how you could get ahold of one nowadays.

PaulieBear

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tomorrow Never Knows
    • Twitter: Sammi_CoJo
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 11:48:00 PM »

I think it's funny how the image on the shirt is someone squashing a beatle. very clever :P

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 11:57:41 PM »

Hah!  That is funny! I want one too!!  
<br />

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 01:54:35 AM »

Just adding (although you may know this bit), the "Jesus statement" wasn't the origin of the slogan, DaveRam. When the Beatles first landed in America in 1964, there was a campaign in Detroit to "stamp out the Beatles". Paul famously responded, "We've got a campaign to stamp out Detroit."

So someone may have revived the slogan and put it on a shirt in 1966/67, but the slogan was from 1964.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

BlueMeanie

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 04:09:07 AM »

Quote from: 551
Just adding (although you may know this bit), the "Jesus statement" wasn't the origin of the slogan, DaveRam. When the Beatles first landed in America in 1964, there was a campaign in Detroit to "stamp out the Beatles". Paul famously responded, "We've got a campaign to stamp out Detroit."

So someone may have revived the slogan and put it on a shirt in 1966/67, but the slogan was from 1964.

Here's the interview from 1964 that references "stamp out the Beatles".

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 08:59:02 AM »

Know i did'nt know it was first used in 1964 in Detriot , i find that a bit odd it been the home of Motown ?
So the welcome to The Beatles from the begining was'nt warm everwhere in America ?

BlueMeanie

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 09:22:46 AM »

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 09:49:03 AM »

Thank you BlueMeanie , that interview rang bells (bigeyes3) and 4 points if you know what i mean ?(afraid5)(bouncing3)

Bobber

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 10:10:41 AM »

Quote from: 1204
Hah!  That is funny! I want one too!!  

They're on eBay every now and then: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130116866989

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2008, 01:58:17 PM »

Quote from: 971
Know i did'nt know it was first used in 1964 in Detriot , i find that a bit odd it been the home of Motown ?
So the welcome to The Beatles from the begining was'nt warm everwhere in America ?
The welcome for the Beatles was over the top in America, and I think the established artists here felt threatened. There's a lovely Jerry Lee Lewis interview where he's reminiscing about the Beatles and he says (paraphrasing), "Their voices blended together and I knew they were going to be big, and I hated them for that!"

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2008, 04:24:22 PM »

So some artists were envious because they were so good ? the interview implies that some of the public were not happy though in 1964, as it was they who handed out the stickers with this slogan on .
Are these the people who jumped on John's comments two years later the Bible basher's ?

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2008, 04:28:28 PM »

Quote from: 971
So some artists were envious because they were so good ? the interview implies that some of the public were not happy though in 1964, as it was they who handed out the stickers with this slogan on .
Are these the people who jumped on John's comments two years later the Bible basher's ?

There's always been that rumour that in 64 Capitol paid girls to go and scream at them. I guess you could pay them to hate them too.
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2008, 05:22:25 PM »

Quote from: 185

There's always been that rumour that in 64 Capitol paid girls to go and scream at them. I guess you could pay them to hate them too.

Cynical bastard! ;D Probably true though!!

DaveRam: Probably envious, but also, I expect, a bit scared. They see their career going down the toilet after only a few years, and back to the factory.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2008, 05:54:18 PM »

DaveRam

I highly doubt it. The first wave of defense consisted of American recording artists-- hardly the Bible bashing type! It also involved concerned parents who could not believe the length of the Beatles' caveman hair. Clearly society would end if this shaggy look caught on.

The Evangelical Christain network only decided to turn anti-Beatle after everyone's favorite deejay Tommy Charles (also station manager of WAQY in Birmingham) decided to make a publicity stunt out of Lennon's comments after Datebook published them to a mass teen audience. To Charles' credit, he dropped out of his own campaign (cancelled his planned Beatle bonfire) because he was afraid the wacky Klan would jump on his bandwagon. Too late, they already did, and staged a belated burning about 2 weeks later. So this publicity stunt went awry when the rabid religious people jumped on board (if you can call racist terrorists "religious", although they consider themselves that).

This clip does a nice job of covering the "Jesus controversy":
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs9m_G41fH0" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs9m_G41fH0</a>

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2008, 01:22:20 AM »

Thanks for the ebay link!
<br />

eppylover

• One And One Is Two
  • Induct Brian Epstein into the Rock Hall of Fame!
    • Christine's Facebook
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2008, 03:42:35 PM »

I realize I'm joining in late here, but I just saw this thread...

I remember (not owning a scanner yet) taking that first picture a few years ago with my digital camera, and then having to grayscale it and lighten it up from the dark yellow it was! Then spreading it throughout the innertubes... I think it was the one on Flickr that got the most exposure.

Here's another couple of related images I had, since then, found online somewhere, I think on an auction site. It indicates that Eppy's shirt (which seems to have been passed down to George and then Dhani) was originally courtesy of Maurice and Berenice Kinn ~ see her handwritten letter.

Brian with Maurice and Berenice Kinn

:)
HE WAS MUCH MORE THAN MERELY THEIR MANAGER.
HE WAS...
The Fifth Beatle!
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.432 seconds with 84 queries.