Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Building the Burnsides  (Read 1169 times)

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
Building the Burnsides
« on: February 19, 2007, 10:11:54 PM »

I'm thinking of building an imaginary supergroup featuring musicians with the greatest sideburns/chops of all time.  Call them The Burnsides.  And by greatest I mean generally size (i.e., face-covering ability) although aesthetics do count for something.

I'll start with lead guitarist Duane Allman and John Lennon from Get Back period.  

If only the electric guitar had been developed in his day.  Antietam and Fredericksburg might have gone down differently.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
Re: Building the Burnsides
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 09:31:44 AM »

Quote from: 9
If only the electric guitar had been developed in his day.  Antietam and Fredericksburg might have gone down differently.

Are you a Civil War buff? (sorry to go off topic)
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 02:52:17 PM »

Elvis on lead vocals.

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 08:48:24 PM »

My brother's more the Civil War buff, but I've read alot.  My ancestors in TN fought on both sides.  My great-great-great grandfather died in Andersonville Prison.  His son was raised after the war by Confederates who had ridden with Forrest.  History is nothing if ironic.  

Meanie, I had forgotten Elvis' 70s chops.  They easily outdid John's.  Those things were as big as his lapels!

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 09:48:18 PM »

Check out the muttons on Mungo Jerry!

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 11:23:15 PM »

Ha!  Ha!  Ha!  Mungo's head is one huge sideburn (or top burn).  I bet it got hot "In the summertime".   But he's definitely in.  Backup vocals?  

BlueMeanie

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 01:26:57 PM »

Ha!  Ha!  Ha!  Mungo's head is one huge sideburn (or top burn).  I bet it got hot "In the summertime".   But he's definitely in.  Backup vocals?  

Together with Noddy Holder!

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 12:43:35 AM »

Noddy, Mungo . . . .  What names!   But we really need a drummer . . . .

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 12:43:40 PM »

My brother's more the Civil War buff, but I've read alot.  My ancestors in TN fought on both sides.  My great-great-great grandfather died in Andersonville Prison.  His son was raised after the war by Confederates who had ridden with Forrest.  History is nothing if ironic.  

For quite a few years in the seventies I was in the 1st Tennesse Infantry, Cheatams Division, Army Of The Tennessee (a re-nactor obviously). I still try and wargame (maps, not little soldiers or computerr) but opponents are becoming hard to find. I feel sorry for Northern generals (only once in the war did an army on the offensive win a major engagement so they never stood much of a chance) and Longstreet is my man. Lee at Gettysburg - I can never forgive him. But I digress......
don't follow leaders

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2007, 12:34:23 AM »

My ancestors were in the 7th TN Cavalry (Confederate) and I think the 7th TN Cavalry (Union)--if that makes sense.  My bro's the one who was into wargames.  The boards and the little counters.  I never got past Kriegspiel--I was always trying some suicidal maneuver.  

Matt's still into them.  Also the Beatles.  

I totally agree about Longstreet.  I think Lee went crazy at Gettysburg.  But he'd gambled before and won so maybe he got addicted to it.  He also underestimated the Yanks.  

I'm from Chattanooga originally (with Chickamauga nearby).  I went to school on Missionary Ridge.  One of our teachers used to relate how the Confederates were lobbing cannonballs at the Union command on Orchard Knob and a ball hit squarely on the table between Grant and Sherman but didn't go off.  (I think it was Sherman too).  What a difference that might have made.

The biggest idiot in the War for me is either Hood or Bragg.  I live in Franklin, TN, now so I probably lean Hood.  I'd like to take a trip down to Shiloh with my retired dad.  I can't believe I've never been.

So what engagements have you fought in?

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2007, 10:21:07 AM »

So what engagements have you fought in?

Ummm......this was in Wellington New Zealand and there were only about ten of us......we beat up a tree once......mostly it was camping out at Butterfly Creek, trying to be as period as possible.....doing late night picket duty looking out for an enemy that didn't exist......caught a possum knicking our beans once though......I'm suprised now we weren't arrested because we were armed to the teeth and there were happy families camping near by.......NZ was at war at the same time (with the Maori) so it had a little bit of relevance I guess.....I'm a bit embarrassed now....
don't follow leaders

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2007, 05:40:45 PM »

Great memory.  I've always found it interesting how the Confederates are perceived in other countries.  While nobody can defend slavery and civil rights abuses, I think the idea of states rights and limited federal power ain't such a bad idea.  Unfortunately the Civil War created the Behemoth of the U.S. Gov't that the we and the world are still dealing with today.

Now I'm going to look up the Maori wars on Wiki.

Page created in 0.253 seconds with 59 queries.