Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The White Album is the Beatles finest.  (Read 8610 times)

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
  • Getting into the Herbal Jazz
Re: The White Album is the Beatles finest.
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2005, 06:46:40 PM »

Whats the matter lads? Blue Meanies?

Sheet Music Plus Homepage

In Blue Hawaii

• Getting Better
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2005, 07:08:10 PM »

Quote from: juniorsfarm
Listening to the Mono CD version of it right now. Interesting mixes.

Mono White Album. I'd love to hear that.

number14

• A Thousand Pages
  • I like the beatles a lot
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2005, 07:09:17 PM »

abbey road, Rubber soul, Sgt peppers,

are better

Paul McCartney :)

TurnMeOnDeadman

• A Thousand Pages
  • Creme Tangerine
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2005, 07:20:37 PM »

White Album is the beatles best

mih ssim mih ssim ,won daed si luap

"LSD is a drug made famous by John Lennon and Paul Mccartney"
 &nb

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2005, 07:33:11 PM »

Quote from: MagicAlex

Mono White Album. I'd love to hear that.

Hi. I had heard of the differences between the stereo vs mono mixes of 'Pepper/White Album' forever, and finally curiosity got the best of me and I got the Dr. Ebbets Mono copies of each.  A bit pricey, but cool for the collection.  Anyways, here's a list of some of the differences in the mixes, and if I'm not mistaken, I think the Fabs only authorized the release of the Mono White Album. Here y'are:

THE WHITE ALBUM:
Mono/Stereo Differences
This release is probably the most essential to have in both mono and stereo, as almost every track has some difference. But the following thirteen tracks have the most marked variations. "Back In The U.S.S.R."  The airplane overdubs occur in different places on the mono and stereo versions.
"Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da"  The stereo version has hand-clapping during the intro, the mono version does not.
"While My Guitar Gently Weeps"  The stereo version has some vocal sounds from George at the end, the mono version does not.
"Blackbird"  The bird sound effects are quite different between the stereo and the mono release.
"Piggies"  The pig sound effects are quite different between the stereo and the mono release.
"Don't Pass Me By"  The mono version is much faster than the stereo, and therefore is shorter.
The violin sounds at the end are markedly different.
"Why Don't We Do It In The Road"  The stereo version has hand-clapping during the intro, the mono version does not.
"I Will"  The stereo version has more prominent bongos.
"Birthday"  The stereo version has extra vocals at the end of the second chorus.
"Sexy Sadie"  The stereo version has two taps on the tambourine during the intro, the mono version only has one.
"Helter Skelter"  The stereo version has a fade-out/fade-in dummy ending with Ringo's shout of "I've got blisters on my fingers", the mono version does not ! ... this makes the stereo version almost a minute longer.
"Long, Long, Long"  The stereo version is fine, but on the mono, George's double-tracked vocal is embarrassingly out of synch.
"Honey Pie"  The stereo version has a shorter guitar solo than the mono version.

In Blue Hawaii

• Getting Better
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2005, 06:23:09 PM »

^Thanks

I will be waiting til I hear the Pepper/White Album Mono mixes before making an honest judgment..

There's an old story about the Sgt. Pepper album: The Beatles were present for all the mono mixing, and after that was finished, the Beatles went away and the stereo mix was done in three days "without a Beatle in sight." Lennon always said the mono was the one to hear.

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2005, 07:49:11 PM »

Quote from: MagicAlex
^Thanks

I will be waiting til I hear the Pepper/White Album Mono mixes before making an honest judgment..

There's an old story about the Sgt. Pepper album: The Beatles were present for all the mono mixing, and after that was finished, the Beatles went away and the stereo mix was done in three days "without a Beatle in sight." Lennon always said the mono was the one to hear.

The differences aren't life altering, but its cool to hear the different versions. They can be a bit pricey, but depending on how into you are with the different mixes, etc., I'd say its worth it.

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2005, 07:52:23 PM »

Interesting stuff guys...Nice. ;)...Will have to check out the mono now.
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2005, 08:04:13 PM »

Here's some of the differences on 'Pepper':

SGT. PEPPER
Mono/Stereo Differences
"Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"  The mono version has a more prominent guitar towards the end, which is barely audible on the stereo version.
"Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds"  The vocal has a noticable echo on the mono version, which is not there on the stereo version. This gives the mono version a dreamier quality.
"She's Leaving Home"  The stereo version is slower than the mono version which sounds much faster.
"Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)"  On the mono version the audience sounds begin more sharply, the drum intro is 4 drumbeats longer, and there are some words spoken by John and some audience laughter ALL of which are missing from the stereo mix.
Paul speaks at the end, but it can barely be heard on the stereo version, but ...
The transition from "Good Morning" is not as smooth on the mono release.

Wayne L.

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2005, 10:09:29 PM »

I wouldn't doubt it if some of my fellow Beatles fans hated them during their late 60's era with their longer hair, more outspoken attitude & more ballsy rock & roll but that's my favorite period of the band & the White Album defines those times along with being the Beatles TRUE masterpiece creatively, musically & artistically much more so than the highly overrated Sgt. Pepper!!!!!!

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2005, 10:17:21 PM »

I love their later period. The White album is a one of my top 3 that juggles from time to time.
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

In Blue Hawaii

• Getting Better
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2005, 05:40:43 PM »

The differences aren't life altering

Mono Strawberry Fields/Penny Lane knocked me out   :o

I really can't wait to hear mono RS/R/SPLHCB/MMT and White Album (salivating)

I'm pretty sure it'll be a life-altering experience.

I say more MONO!

Tontini

• One And One Is Two
  • Love is all and love is everyone
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2005, 09:27:15 PM »

I really don't care much for mono or stereo versions, but they might be a nice listen. My favourite is Sgt. Pepper. White is around place 5 or 4.
Oh dear
What can I do?
Baby's In Black and I'm feeling blue

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2005, 08:52:48 PM »

I've never understood the difference between Mono and Stereo anything.  Could somebody explain to me what the difference is and why you can hear some things on one and not the other?

Thanks  :)

« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2005, 10:18:37 PM »

Quote from: Frightwolf
I've never understood the difference between Mono and Stereo anything.

In Blue Hawaii

• Getting Better
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2005, 10:35:26 PM »

The US mixes sucked for the most part until Sgt Pepper because mainly what they did was put more bass in one channel and more treble in the other to simulate stereo.

It's called FAKE STEREO..Capitol US never had the UK master tapes until Sgt. Pepper.

In Blue Hawaii

• Getting Better
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2005, 10:37:19 PM »

F'rinstance, the German release of Magical Mystery Tour was the ONLY release of that package anywhere, that was in true stereo.

A lot of purists say this is the stereo MMT to own. Definitely a must have for audiophiles!

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2005, 10:57:42 PM »

They mixes were different and when they mixed for Stereo, they left some things in, some things out. The US mixes sucked for the most part until Sgt Pepper because mainly what they did was put more bass in one channel and more treble in the other to simulate stereo. Sgt. Pepper was the first album where everything coincided per release, before then, every UK album was made into two US releases. There stuff has been mixed and remixed so many times and vary depending on which release you have, you could spend a fortune tracking down each and every one. F'rinstance, the German release of Magical Mystery Tour was the ONLY release of that package anywhere, that was in true stereo. I have an interesting book called 'Every Little Thing' that has a pretty good breakdown of what mix of what song in which country, etc. Its mind boggling. Some like the Mono releases because they supposedly have a 'brighter' quality to them. I always preferred Stereo, though I do have to say that its interesting to have both just for comparison sake.

Interesting :).  But hmm... if you buy a Beatles CD nowadays, granted that their are no American bastards to buy, is it in Mono or Stereo? I'm thinking Stereo, because I heard they chalked up the last harmonica part in the Stereo release of Please Please Me the song on that same album, and when I listened to it, the beginning of the last harmonica intro seemed to be editted on poorly.

Mushmouth

• Getting Better
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2005, 06:13:22 AM »

White Album has always been in my top 3 favorite Beatles albums, one of the most revoutionary of its time.
I'd like to say thank you on behalf of the group and ourselves, and I hope we pass the audition.

« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2005, 06:27:41 AM »

Quote from: Frightwolf

Interesting :).
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 80 queries.