Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Best/worst of the White Album  (Read 15303 times)

Re: Best/worst of the White Album
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2004, 06:59:37 AM »

John even had a sense of humour when it came to the boundaries. I recommend very strongly his first two books, In His Own Write and A Spaniard In the Works. Witty word play abounds.

And think of tracks like You Know My Name, and Mary Jane. I know none of this is avante garde, but it sure was at the bondaries of popular music at the time.

« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2004, 07:03:31 AM »

[quote by=Herecomesyoursun link=Blah.pl?b=albums,m=1088800419,s=39 date=1091429970]I think Paul might have gotten into the experimental stuff first (like the pepper album, the sleeve design for the White album, magical mystery tour) but he never translated it well to music.

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
  • Shake your tired eyes the world is waiting for you
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2004, 07:22:02 AM »

[quote by=Maria link=Blah.pl?b=albums,m=1088800419,s=40 date=1091429977]John even had a sense of humour when it came to the boundaries. I recommend very strongly his first two books, In His Own Write and A Spaniard In the Works. Witty word play abounds.[/quote]

These books are classic.

[face=Arial]            Give me love, give me peace on Earth...[/face]

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
  • Getting into the Herbal Jazz
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2004, 03:15:52 PM »

"The sleeve design for the white album: hmm, is my only comment"

The White-Album Sleeve is a more symbol of meaning than anything, and is one of the greatest Designs ever created.

Lennon's books are generally witty and surreal, but it wasnt anything new, just a new voice to the already exploding sixities comdedy circuit (Peter and Dudley+ Python) etc plus his Lewis Carol inspiration.

Oh, and if we are talking about Lennon was better at explaining through music, I feel this bow of respect should be handed over to George Martin.
Whats the matter lads? Blue Meanies?

« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2004, 06:06:28 PM »

Maria made some excellent points just withthe song comparisons...

But IndicaWalrus, instead of us coming up with all the "Lennon" things that make him so much more experimental and avante garde than "play it safe/P.R. Paulie," why don't you please list some of Paul's most risque vices while he was with the group (or even after -- I'll give you till 2004!)  :)

« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2004, 08:18:08 PM »

[quote by=IndicaWalrus link=Blah.pl?b=albums,m=1088800419,s=43 date=1091459752]
The White-Album Sleeve is a more symbol of meaning than anything, and is one of the greatest Designs ever created.[/quote]

A "symbol of meaning". What on earth does that mean?

And ... one of the greatest designs ever created???? That's ridiculous. And in any case, Paul didn't create it. He simply had a say in the whole 2LP package.

Lennon's books are generally witty and surreal, but it wasnt anything new, just a new voice to the already exploding sixities comdedy circuit (Peter and Dudley+ Python) etc plus his Lewis Carol inspiration.

No, nothing new, except for a "pop star" writing it. But more to the point here, JOHN did it, not Paul!

And by the way, you don't say "Peter and Dudley" but "Pete and Dud" or use their full names. And the Pythons were really a 70s thing, though their roots can be traced to the 60s, certainly.

Oh, and if we are talking about Lennon was better at explaining through music, I feel this bow of respect should be handed over to George Martin.

And here it is: the classic sneer. It was really George Martin. Well, Mr Martin helped Paul out a lot too, didn't he?

« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2004, 08:19:49 PM »

[quote by=Joe_Karlosi link=Blah.pl?b=albums,m=1088800419,s=44 date=1091469988]
But IndicaWalrus, instead of us coming up with all the "Lennon" things that make him so much more experimental and avante garde than "play it safe/P.R. Paulie," why don't you please list some of Paul's most risque vices while he was with the group (or even after -- I'll give you till 2004!)

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2004, 10:17:06 PM »

The White Album design signifies the change in the Beatles as individuals and shows them moving away from the Haight-Ashbury scene of San Francisco which devoured most of society world-wide.
 The Design is pop art in all of its simplicity. Simplicity was key.
Taking into account the full White-Album Package included four high-quality individual photographs (each expressing the opinions of each Beatle through image alone) and a huge and impressive collage of photographs showing the Beatles throughout the years.
Never has anything been so pure, clean and different.

Paul may not have thought of the original design, but he helped create the collage, gave vital input, and

« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2004, 07:21:36 AM »

"And by the way, you don't say "Peter and Dudley" but "Pete and Dud" or use their full names"
Commenting on my typing error, does nothing for your arguement but highlights the childish streak of your response.

No, it wasn't a typing error. You don't type "Peter and Dudley" if you meant to type "Pete and Dud"! I mentioned it because, by using their names like that, you show you aren't of those times. That's all. It doesn't make your opinions invalid.

« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2004, 07:30:58 AM »

[quote by=IndicaWalrus link=Blah.pl?b=albums,m=1088800419,s=47 date=1091485026]The White Album design signifies the change in the Beatles as individuals and shows them moving away from the Haight-Ashbury scene of San Francisco which devoured most of society world-wide.
 The Design is pop art in all of its simplicity. Simplicity was key.
Taking into account the full White-Album Package included four high-quality individual photographs (each expressing the opinions of each Beatle through image alone) and a huge and impressive collage of photographs showing the Beatles throughout the years.
Never has anything been so pure, clean and different.

Paul may not have thought of the original design, but he helped create the collage, gave vital input, and

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2004, 10:51:04 AM »

I respect your opinion, and too walk away from this rather on-going discussion realising it boils down to taste and opinion.

At least we have one thing in common, the Beatles are the best!

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2004, 08:07:48 PM »

Best: While my guitar gently weeps.

Worst: there are actually quite a few songs on the white album that I don't like, therefore it can never be one of my favorite albums even though there certainly are a lot of great songs on it as well. I agree with George Martin that it should've been a single album. I don't like Don't pass me by, Why don't we do it in the road, Julia, Birthday and Yer blues, but I dislike Wild honey pie the most. That's probably the worst song in the entire Beatles catalogue. I used to dislike Revolution 9 too, but now I find it quite fascinating and eerie.

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2004, 10:03:03 PM »

Yer Blues? its one of the best songs on there!
A Live performance which shows the musical advancements of the Band, great Raw Lyrics by John, a thumping bass line, striking drums and gritty guitar...classic.

Birthday, has a great 12 bar Blues thing going down, and a perfect album filler.

Why Dont we Do it in the Road..Another Fvaourite...Mccartneys Voice, bloody fantastic!

Dont Pass me By..I agree...aswell as Wild Honey Pie.
I like the White Album for its diverse selection, and the little songs whihc keep you entertained until the big-guns.

« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2004, 10:25:50 PM »

I agree with George Martin that it should've been a single album.

I sure don't! This is one time where Paul nailed it right. What makes it so unique in the Beatles' catalogue is that there are so many different things on it, and it's not a conventional album! As Paul said (minus a few words I can't recall): "It's great, It sold. It's the bloody Beatles White Album, shut up!" :) 

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2004, 11:23:11 PM »

On the anthology..its a great part..

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2004, 04:54:47 PM »

[quote by=IndicaWalrus link=Blah.pl?b=albums,m=1088800419,s=52 date=1091570583]Yer Blues? its one of the best songs on there!
A Live performance which shows the musical advancements of the Band, great Raw Lyrics by John, a thumping bass line, striking drums and gritty guitar...classic.

Birthday, has a great 12 bar Blues thing going down, and a perfect album filler.[/quote]

Yeah, well... I just don't like blues.

« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2004, 10:45:46 PM »

I love YER BLUES!

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
  • Shake your tired eyes the world is waiting for you
« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2004, 10:58:53 PM »

i was bored one day so I made a playlist of the talked about "one disk" White Album.  When I looked up, I had put 28 tracks on it ;D

[face=Arial]            Give me love, give me peace on Earth...[/face]

HFleen

• A Beginning
« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2004, 05:31:15 PM »

BEST damn tune on any album...

Back in the USSR

Played at 10 on your 6' tall Fender speakers....

Man, that's a tune!

;-)

Herb
============================
www.thebeatlesforum.com
"Love, love me do..."

TurnMeOnDeadman

• A Thousand Pages
  • Creme Tangerine
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2005, 06:30:21 AM »

Best song--Sexy Sadie

Worst(besides revolution9,wild honey pie,or good night)--Obladi Oblada

mih ssim mih ssim ,won daed si luap

"LSD is a drug made famous by John Lennon and Paul Mccartney"
 &nb
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 76 queries.