Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: I'm trying to explore Macca's solo years... help!  (Read 7637 times)

Rowdy

• Getting Better
Re: I'm trying to explore Macca's solo years... help!
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2004, 08:01:05 AM »

[quote by=Joe_Karlosi link=Blah.pl?b=mccartney,m=1089861080,s=19 date=1090165209]
As  Beatles Fan, it's almost like a pleasant obligation :)

[/quote]

Yep, I still listen to McCartney II, Press to Play...Bad Boy...it's the Beatles, sort of....so even if it isn't all that great, I get more of a thrill listening to their solo works than most of the music out there.

"Only people know just how to talk to people. Only people know just how to change the world."
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2004, 09:12:12 AM »

[quote by=Joe_Karlosi link=Blah.pl?b=mccartney,m=1089861080,s=19 date=1090165209]

That's exactly what I've done for every Solo Album over the years with only one exception, I must confess - DRIVING RAIN. I never gave DRIVING RAIN more than one listen. But maybe I'll try it again, if you consider this...

[/quote]

My goodness Joe, I seemed to miss this part. 'Driving Rain' deserves more than one listen. You must throw it in the player again. We have ways of making you listen.  ;D

Rowdy

• Getting Better
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2004, 11:22:07 AM »

Yeah, he should listen to it again if he's fine with giving Ringo efforts repeated listens and all.....Driving Rain has some really good songs, at least you could get yourself aquainted with those numbers and then just skip to them during future plays.

"Only people know just how to talk to people. Only people know just how to change the world."

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2004, 03:52:32 PM »

Yeah, he should listen to it again if he's fine with giving Ringo efforts repeated listens and all.....Driving Rain has some really good songs, at least you could get yourself aquainted with those numbers and then just skip to them during future plays.

I'd rather listen to RINGO THE 4th than DRIVING RAIN :D

But you're right - I've always given Paul's other albums another shot, but not RAIN (it was THAT bad). I'll have to put it on soon and report back.

"What am I to do ---- if I don't have you  ----- I'll be sad and Blue ----- just thinking about you....." (blah).

"One two three four five, let's go for a drive. .." (double blah)... 

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2004, 11:20:24 PM »

A line that REALLY makes ME cringe is "she loved her biker like an icon" Urgh!

Wonderwall

• A Beginning
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2004, 06:58:12 AM »

Get Wingspan

sregis

• A Beginning
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2004, 03:16:45 PM »

[quote by=Wonderwall link=Blah.pl?b=mccartney,m=1089861080,s=25 date=1091084292] Get Wingspan[/quote]

that's a copout, a sellout, and a disservice to anyone wishing to "explore" the early years.  borrow or buy the ALBUMS, listen in a quiet place, talk abt them w/ friends, and share the experience here ;)

Buttmunker

• Getting Better
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2007, 04:04:42 PM »

Quote from: 130
But I'm disappointed because I'm not getting Eleanor Rigby or Let It Be quality songs yet.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2007, 04:16:55 PM »

Quote from: 828

Let me save you some time and effort with this following statement: you will never find anything in any of their solo albums that can compare to the worst of what was recorded as Beatles.  Once you know and understand that, the search and appreciation for their four solo works will be easier.

How can you say that if by your own admission you've never actually heard any of the albums?
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2007, 04:57:02 PM »

Let me save you some time and effort with this following statement: you will never find anything in any of their solo albums that can compare to the worst of what was recorded as Beatles.  Once you know and understand that, the search and appreciation for their four solo works will be easier.

I agree with you about Lennon's solo work.  In regards to "good McCartney," I'm afraid I'm going to have to respond from what I know of Macca's solo work: strictly the hits.  I'll admit it: i've never ventured into Album Cuts.  I started with All The Best from the late 80's, but for you: Wingspan would be the easiest choice.  

Oh, and find Mull of Kintyre - a terrific Paul song!

That is a very rash statement that, with respect, sounds like it comes from someone who doesn't know their stuff. There are many songs on George's first two albums that easily match, and in some cases far exceed the quality of his songwriting in The Beatles. And an awful lot of Ringo's. And whilst I think John and Paul rarely hit the heights of their Beatles songwriting, there are a few high points.

Remember, The Beatles were four people, and as solo musicians should not be compared to the bands' output. Comparison is futile, no matter how tempting it is to do so.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2007, 01:33:33 AM »

you will never find anything in any of their solo albums that can compare to the worst of what was recorded as Beatles.  

Thats the biggest bunch of bullsh*t i've ever heard. This coming from somebody who only has a couple greatest hits albums. Give me a freakin break.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2007, 08:38:10 AM »

I agree with you about Lennon's solo work.  In regards to "good McCartney," I'm afraid I'm going to have to respond from what I know of Macca's solo work: strictly the hits.  I'll admit it: i've never ventured into Album Cuts.  I started with All The Best from the late 80's, but for you: Wingspan would be the easiest choice.  

Apart from this statement being crass and uninformed, did you have to drag up a three year old thread just so you could have your rant? The person who started it isn't even around here anymore!

The Swine

• Getting Better
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2007, 11:03:33 AM »

i love digging old things up but thats another point. buttmunkers remark is not even worth reading. how can you say that love me do is a far better song than maybe im amazed, imagine or all things must pass.
THE INTERNET IS NOT A PLACE FOR 13 YEAR OLDS

BlueMeanie

« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2007, 11:25:13 AM »

Quote from: 748
i love digging old things up but thats another point. buttmunkers remark is not even worth reading. how can you say that love me do is a far better song than maybe im amazed, imagine or all things must pass.

The thing that annoys me about statements like that, apart from the fact that it's totally uninformed, is that anyone looking around and thinking about joining is going to think that we know sod all! I think we could do with one or two more knowledgeable 'oldies' on here, and that sort of nonsense will send them running.

Btw, got any truffles?

The Swine

• Getting Better
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2007, 11:35:45 AM »

here you go. help yourself

THE INTERNET IS NOT A PLACE FOR 13 YEAR OLDS

Buttmunker

• Getting Better
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2007, 01:33:42 PM »

whoa, dat bad ol puddy tat mad at me!

Listen, it has always been my belief that 'greatest hits' albums are supposed to represent "the best of the best," out of their wealth of material.  I didn't say any of their four solo efforts didn't contain good songs, but I'm just saying that what's represented as their best don't never come close to being Beatle-Caliber.  I know all about group dynamics and such, but c'mon - Paul basically told George what to play, and George played it.  Paul wasn't interested in what George might come up with on his own, Paul wanted his songs played a certain way, and that was that.  Paul probably did the same thing with the members of Wings, but to a much larger extent.  So Paul was the driving force on virtually all his songs, what does a 'band dynamic' have to do with that?

Also, if I think their stuff from their 'greatest hits' is merely okay, why would I think I'd find better songs on their 'album cuts,' songs that weren't deemed good enough to be singles or played on the radio?  Even Beatles songs that weren't singles were still sometimes played on the radio - same with other artists.  I honestly gauge an artist's worth by what's represented on a collection - i'm not saying that's right, but its what I do.  And so do a lot of people.

When I was younger, I used to think that an album by Paul McCartney/Wings had to be as good as a Beatles album, just that it was absent the other three guys.  I learned I was wrong to think that, and it had nothing to do with them being a band - but maybe it had a little to do with Ying and Yang between Paul and John - the competition thing.  But, when you think about it, wouldn't that competition thing still exist, even though they're recording separately in the 70's?  John's music lacked a "crispness;" Paul's music lacked a "I-don't-know-what" - lack of respectability?  That sounds harsh, but songs like "My Love," while pretty and melodic, is almost a parody of what he did as a Beatle.

And look, I don't keep inventory of the members who come and go around here, so my revisiting an older thread has more to do with not repeating what the board has already gone through than it is of keeping track of active people.

Remember that my opinions are just opinions - I'm not stating facts, I'm just an ordinary joe who loves the Beatles and wishes that kind of magic had transferred into four parts when they disbanded.  It didn't.  That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2007, 02:00:35 PM »

Listen, it has always been my belief that 'greatest hits' albums are supposed to represent "the best of the best," out of their wealth of material.  I didn't say any of their four solo efforts didn't contain good songs, but I'm just saying that what's represented as their best don't never come close to being Beatle-Caliber.

You actually said this:

Let me save you some time and effort with this following statement: you will never find anything in any of their solo albums that can compare to the worst of what was recorded as Beatles.

Any of their solo albums. Of course you're entitled to your own opinions, but you're clearly not qualified to force that one on anybody, as to your own admission, you haven't heard a lot of the solo albums. And that did sound like you were stating a fact!

Wordno

• Getting Better
  • Fortune favors the bold
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2007, 11:01:11 PM »

Oh god, you're the prime example of of what NOT to do when exploring the beatles individual career. What makes it even worse is that we don't even have to point out your ignorance because you've done that yourself by saying that you haven't listened to any of the individaul albums.  Do some research before making idiotic statements like that. I bet you didn't know that there were Wings songs that other members besides Paul wrote and sang.  Just because the songs from albums didn't make it on to a greatest hit album doens't mean they are absolute crap. God man..open your mind and quit being so close minded and you will be so greatly suprised at the quality of songs that The Beatles had as individuals. Its people like you that make Paul play the same songs every tour. You won't give anything else a chance.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2007, 01:29:34 AM »

Quote from: 403

Its people like you that make Paul play the same songs every tour. You won't give anything else a chance.

Perfect!

Buttmunker

• Getting Better
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2007, 08:00:08 PM »

I'm going to take a bunch of Paul McCartney/Wings album cuts, at random, and put them on a CD.  Songs I've never heard before.  I will give you an honest accessment in about 5-7 business days.  

Will this put me back in the good graces of the forum?
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 79 queries.