Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Your Most HATED McCartney Hit Single  (Read 7281 times)

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Your Most HATED McCartney Hit Single
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2008, 12:18:58 AM »

i voted The Girl is Mine. its just bloody awful!! what they hell where they thinking when they recorded
this?? genrally a lot of McCartney's duets are pretty dodgy but this one just .......sod it, i'm not
even gonna go on!  ;D :P

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

maccafan

• A Beginning
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2008, 01:58:36 AM »

I don't get some people, why would you wish bad for Paul McCartney?

I don't like the new Fireman album, but I don't wish for it to do bad?  If it turns out to be a hit album I'd be thrilled for McCartney!

It really blows my mind how some people think?

I absolutely love The Girl Is Mine, McCartney showing that he can do it all!

The song I can't stand is Spies Like Us, it's one of the worst songs ever by McCartney, but I'm still glad it was a hit for him!

BlueMeanie

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2008, 08:07:32 AM »

Quote from: 1580
I don't get some people, why would you wish bad for Paul McCartney?

I don't like the new Fireman album, but I don't wish for it to do bad?  If it turns out to be a hit album I'd be thrilled for McCartney!

Show me where someone wished bad for him? It's a thread about records you don't like. Now even though he's Paul McCartney and he's the fabbest thing in all of Fabland, we are allowed to dislike some of his songs. I know you think he walks on water, but you must dislike something?

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2008, 12:07:48 PM »

Quote from: 614
i voted The Girl is Mine. its just bloody awful!! what they hell where they thinking when they recorded
this?? genrally a lot of McCartney's duets are pretty dodgy but this one just .......sod it, i'm not
even gonna go on!  ;D :P

The thing defeats every attempt to describe it, doesn't it? I make do with mindless swearing myself.  ;D

The Swine

• Getting Better
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2008, 01:10:03 PM »

mull of kintyre is pretty lame.
THE INTERNET IS NOT A PLACE FOR 13 YEAR OLDS

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2008, 03:28:34 PM »

i think Mull of Kintyre is good, avrage shall we say, but never got why it was so big.  :-/

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

maccafan

• A Beginning
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2008, 07:08:29 PM »

Bluemeanie, I can't believe you didn't see my criticizm of Spies Like Us, I clearly said that I can't stand that song!

I don't think McCartney walks on water because I also stated that I don't like the Fireman!  

Also Dbone828 clearly said that he was glad The Girl Is Mine didn't reach any higher than #2, that is without a doubt wishing bad for McCartney!

BlueMeanie

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2008, 08:48:24 PM »

Also Dbone828 clearly said that he was glad The Girl Is Mine didn't reach any higher than #2, that is without a doubt wishing bad for McCartney!

Nothing wrong with thinking that at all. Why would you want him remembered being No.1 with that sh*te? It's hardly a death wish!

dbone828

• A Beginning
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2008, 11:35:05 PM »

Hahhaa...No, I don't wish bad for McCartney.  He's one of my all-time favourite artists, and I'm glad he holds all the records that he does.  I would like more people to get into his music, but there are a lot of casual listeners who are given the impression that his solo material isn't worth getting into.  I quite disagree with that!  I just don't think that "The Girl Is Mine" is one of the most ideal songs you would want to start a new listener of McCartney's music with.  And If they go back in the history books and find that "Oh, 'The Girl Is Mine' was a #1 hit, and it was a duet with Michael Jackson."  They listen to it, and who knows? Maybe they'll like it, but I think I would rather some of his other songs get heard beforehand, that didn't make #1 or #2 on the charts ("Maybe I'm Amazed," "Jet," "Junior's Farm," "1985," "Venus and Mars," "Helen Wheels," and sooooo many others).  I think it's songs like "The Girl Is Mine" that give Paul a bad wrap for his post-Beatle career.

I wish the best for McCartney!

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2008, 12:20:44 AM »

okay let's see...

C Moon (it's an average song, but I can stand it)
Ebony and Ivory (well... eighty-ish, BUT IT WASN'T THAT BAD)
Ferry Cross the Mersey (umm??? never heard about this song at all  :-/ )
Freedom (probably dominates for me, really... I know it may have associations with 9/11 and I should at least respect it, but I just CAN'T)
The Girl Is Mine (where's jacko there's and trouble, but I can stand it)
Mary Had a Little Lamb (oh c'mon, bubblegum pop? almost. but it's a catchy song so I'm not against it)
Mull of Kintyre (well at least Glen Campbell likes this song and even had covered ;D )
Once Upon a Long Ago (lol, WHAT? I know, for the first time it was like a "poppy" song, but how could you say that guitar's solo at the end of the song isn't amazing, especially when Paul's played?)
Pipes of Peace (50%&50%)
Say Say Say (say say say what you want but I like this song even if that pedo-jacko did that song with Paul)
Silly Love Songs (please! why? this song is probably the catchiest song of the late 70s-Disco era, that bass' riff remains forever in the history of popular music)
Spies Like Us (yeah, what a cheap american sound-like song with Dan Aykroyd and Chevy Chase in a lot stupider video clip... IMPRESSIVE)
Tropic Island Hum (okay get a disney movie and sample it there... it would be just PERFECT)
We All Stand Together (frog chorus! WoW)
Wonderful Christmastime (r u kidding? this song is like an anthem for our biggest supermarket in my country, get a life people, my personally favourite christmas song, I really dig it)

half of these songs I can stand it, but others? anyway I will choose a "Freedom"

dbone828

• A Beginning
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2008, 07:06:12 PM »

Quote from: 1458
okay let's see...

C Moon (it's an average song, but I can stand it)
Ebony and Ivory (well... eighty-ish, BUT IT WASN'T THAT BAD)
Ferry Cross the Mersey (umm??? never heard about this song at all  :-/ )
Freedom (probably dominates for me, really... I know it may have associations with 9/11 and I should at least respect it, but I just CAN'T)
The Girl Is Mine (where's jacko there's and trouble, but I can stand it)
Mary Had a Little Lamb (oh c'mon, bubblegum pop? almost. but it's a catchy song so I'm not against it)
Mull of Kintyre (well at least Glen Campbell likes this song and even had covered ;D )
Once Upon a Long Ago (lol, WHAT? I know, for the first time it was like a "poppy" song, but how could you say that guitar's solo at the end of the song isn't amazing, especially when Paul's played?)
Pipes of Peace (50%&50%)
Say Say Say (say say say what you want but I like this song even if that pedo-jacko did that song with Paul)
Silly Love Songs (please! why? this song is probably the catchiest song of the late 70s-Disco era, that bass' riff remains forever in the history of popular music)
Spies Like Us (yeah, what a cheap american sound-like song with Dan Aykroyd and Chevy Chase in a lot stupider video clip... IMPRESSIVE)
Tropic Island Hum (okay get a disney movie and sample it there... it would be just PERFECT)
We All Stand Together (frog chorus! WoW)
Wonderful Christmastime (r u kidding? this song is like an anthem for our biggest supermarket in my country, get a life people, my personally favourite christmas song, I really dig it)

half of these songs I can stand it, but others? anyway I will choose a "Freedom"

I enjoyed reading your breakdown for each song. 8)  Actually, a lot of the songs I included in this poll, I actually do like ("C Moon" is one of my faves, I love "Mull of Kintyre," and "Pipes of Peace," and I also really like "Silly Love Songs," "Say Say Say" and "Wonderful Christmastime," and I don't think "Spies Like Us," "Mary Had a Little Lamb" are bad either)...I just tried to pick songs that I've heard a lot of complaints about ("Ebony and Ivory," "Mull of Kintyre," "Freedom"), or that I could see why people wouldn't like (perhaps "Silly Love Songs" is a bit too syrupy? "C Moon" a bit too annoying? "Ferry Cross the Mersey" never shoulda been a hit?) Oh, on that note, a cover version of Gerry & the Pacemakers' "Ferry Cross the Mersey" was released as a charity single in 1989 by Paul McCartney, the Christians, Holly Johnson, Gerry Marsden, and Stock Aitken Waterman.  It made #1 for 3 weeks in the UK.  Honestly, I don't think I've heard the actual recording myself either.

maccafan

• A Beginning
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2008, 07:14:45 PM »

Let me see, didn't The Girl Is Mine become a smash #1 worldwide hit, that means millions of people around the world liked it, what's the problem?

People didn't get off into this nonsense about McCartney's rep being tarnished, in reality the average person couldn't care less!  People just liked the song, it's some of McCartney's fans who have the problem, they want him to be the way they want him to be.

McCartney was doing what he always does, make good music!  All that other stuff is the baggage some fans carry around, they can't get over their Michael Jackson hate!

The Girl Is Mine was a freaking #1 worldwide smash hit that millions around the world loved, nuff said!

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2008, 09:04:05 PM »

Let me see, didn't The Girl Is Mine become a smash #1 worldwide hit, that means millions of people around the world liked it, what's the problem?

Well, then, millions of people around the world are just wrong: the thing sucks, and it would suck with or without Mikey (who also sucks). But at least Paul doesn't perform it live.  ;D

« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2008, 09:32:17 PM »

Quote from: 1161

Well, then, millions of people around the world are just wrong: the thing sucks, and it would suck with or without Mikey (who also sucks). But at least Paul doesn't perform it live.  ;D

well he is very aware, which songs must be perform live and which are not   :)

maccafan

• A Beginning
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2008, 11:53:19 PM »

Geoff, your response has to totally be a joke!

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2008, 04:17:59 AM »

Basically my point is that popularity by itself proves nothing, and that if we go by record sales alone we'll have to conclude that Britney Spears is pretty good too and maybe even a rival for the Beatles. Quality is an issue as well as quantity of records sold, and in my opinion "The Girl Is Mine" is a gooey heap of sentimental granny music that probably shouldn't be played at all except at nap time at your local Sunshine Home For The Elderly. That's a subjective impression on my part, and of course if you like the song, that's very much your business. We just disagree, that's all.

jjs

• A Beginning
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2008, 03:15:37 AM »

Gussssh.

Swoooooon.

Geoff, How could you have a negative opinion about anything Paul has ever done?

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2008, 04:18:53 AM »

People didn't get off into this nonsense about McCartney's rep being tarnished, in reality the average person couldn't care less!  People just liked the song, it's some of McCartney's fans who have the problem, they want him to be the way they want him to be.

McCartney was doing what he always does, make good music!  All that other stuff is the baggage some fans carry around, they can't get over their Michael Jackson hate!

The Girl Is Mine was a freaking #1 worldwide smash hit that millions around the world loved, nuff said!

I hope you do realize that the song became such a huge hit because all the 12 to 15 year old girls that love Michael Jackson pounced on it. The song is awful and your losing credibility quick with me.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2008, 11:01:23 AM »

Quote from: 373

I hope you do realize that the song became such a huge hit because all the 12 to 15 year old girls that love Michael Jackson pounced on it. The song is awful and your losing credibility quick with me.

But it WAS a #1 world wide smash! ;)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2008, 05:47:22 PM »

Quote from: 483

But it WAS a #1 world wide smash! ;)

Yeah, and i'm sure he should be playing that one live too.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Page created in 1.838 seconds with 74 queries.