Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: For No One  (Read 6099 times)

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
Re: For No One
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2007, 08:04:16 PM »

Quote from: 185
But try watching a movie while eating a chinese. It's filling, but it messes up your shirt, and what the f*ck do you do with the chopsticks afterwards?
Are you sure you want to discuss that in a public forum?  ;D

I agree, there have been some great songs with minimal lyrics. Sometimes that's all you want -- to shout and jump around joyfully. But it's better for me if the lyrics form a complete thought. The Eurythmics had a great hit with a song that had approximately seven and 3/4 words in it, "Sweet Dreams". But it was a complete thought. I could jump around singing the verse over and over and over (since what were my choices?) but at least I could be wondering at the same time who wants to be used by me. There was a little poetic gristle in there for me to sink my teeth into. (All these eating images! I must be dieting....)

All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

nothing_is_real

• A Beginning
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2007, 03:07:39 AM »

Quote from: 971
But as a rule i think your right about him been disingenious , lets give them a storey song but lets not tell them anything about how i feel .

I think he does both. He can write immensely enjoyable and entertaining fiction, as well as expressive, autobiographical nonfiction. When I am listening to the fiction, I am not expecting to hear any of Paul's feelings in it; he is simply the creator of the story, not a part of it, and that's okay with me. In literature, we don't believe that all writers have to write about themselves to create supurb works, and we can enjoy the works just fine without wondering how it relates directly to the writer. I think it's the same for songwriting. I don't need to know exactly what the artist is feeling to appreciate the art.

Though I'm not familiar with all his solo work, I think it would be a safe bet to say that you could listen to all of Pauls work 1962-2007 and not really pick out the man behind it all. Could you (just from listening to his music) pick out when he was depressed, or when the band broke up or when Linda died? Whereas listening to John there is at least some approximation to the life behind it. (which always give John that credability edge of being the Beatle that was real )
Though that doesn't mean he always produced the better music.

Well, Paul has always had a very optimistic outlook on life. Other than the story-telling songs I mentioned before, the rest of his music reflects that outlook. Happiness and optimism is just as genuine a feeling as anger or depression. Take Backseat of My Car, for example. At that moment in his life he was feeling like he and Linda could conquer the world, as we all have all felt in relationships at some point, and he is expressing that through the song. His feelings are very clear to me.

I can think of numerous songs that seem to me as personal for Paul other than the three previously listed, like Anyway, Dear Friend, Little Lamb Dragonfly, or Somedays (which, by the way, seems be undoubtedly about losing Linda). He may not be blatantly addressing people, like John does in Mother or Oh Yoko, but his genuine feelings are still there. They're just a little more abstract, which is something I love about about Paul's music. There's a little wiggle room for interpretation.

I'm new around here so don't sic the dogs on me just yet!
<br /><br />

Bobber

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2007, 08:26:09 AM »

Not sure about the "mature for his age" bit.He was 26, probably when most people are at their creative peak.

Interesting points in here. Note that Paul was 23 when he wrote For No One. He was born in June 1942 and Revolver recorded in early 1966. And is it a fact that most people are at their creative peak at 26? Footballplayers yes, but painters or poets?

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2007, 09:55:39 AM »

Quote from: 63

Interesting points in here. Note that Paul was 23 when he wrote For No One. He was born in June 1942 and Revolver recorded in early 1966. And is it a fact that most people are at their creative peak at 26? Footballplayers yes, but painters or poets?

I've always taken it as a given that most people (in any field) do their greatest works by the time they're thirty. Einstein formulated his theory of relativity at 26, Mozart had completed his most famous works by 30 and Michaelangelo made David at 29, Darwin with evolution at 27.... While I'm sure there are exceptions I'll stand by it as a general rule. (Picasso and Shakespeare were in their 30's, but still younger than older, if you get my drift.)
Sorry you oldies - if you haven't achieved greatness by now you probably never will. And you young 'uns - get achieving, because you haven't got forever.
don't follow leaders

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2007, 11:21:20 AM »

According to Ian MacDonald in  " Revolution in the head " For No One was written in March 1966 while Paul and Jane Asher were on holiday in Switzerland ?
Which makes me think it might be one of Paul's first real attemp's at writing a personal song about the situation he's in  " A Loveless Relationship With Jane " ? , MacDonald also says the original title of the song was  " Why Did It Die " ,which if true would also indicate it's a very personal song ?

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2007, 11:38:49 AM »

After yesterdays discussion i went back and had a look at Paul's solo work to discover more personal songs he's written about himself and how he feels . This is my  " Real Paul " album  not quite the Plastic Ono Band album John gave us , but pretty good stuff if you pull the songs together and it shows there is passion there if you look ?

1/ Lovely Linda
2/ Maybe Im Amazed
3/ To Many People
4/ Dear Friend
5/ Give Ireland Back To The Irish
6/ Let Me Roll It
7/ I'm Carrying
8/Here Today
9/ Distractions
10/ Looking For Changes
11/ Somedays
12/ Lonley Road
13/ How Kind of You
14 /Riding To Vanity Fair
15/ That Was Me
16/ The End Of The End

It's not a bad little album he should release it ?

Whoever

• Getting Better
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2007, 01:06:17 PM »

I think the best thing about Revolver is that every song sounds exactly how it feels, it emotes very well, For No One sounds very cold to me, always has. You can listen to it on a warm summers day and it'll give you a chill. When the bass and piano cuts in it sounds rather sinister too.

As for his story songs, well I'm sure he writes them with the idea that it's someone else but I'm sure he must get a bit of "I know what that's about" when he's singing it. "Only Mama Knows" is a case in point. You can quite easily identify it to Macca and not to some poor orphan boy. Dirty Airport Town, indeed.

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2007, 10:24:27 PM »

Quote from: 971

1/ Lovely Linda
2/ Maybe Im Amazed
3/ To Many People
4/ Dear Friend
5/ Give Ireland Back To The Irish
6/ Let Me Roll It
7/ I'm Carrying
8/Here Today
9/ Distractions
10/ Looking For Changes
11/ Somedays
12/ Lonley Road
13/ How Kind of You
14 /Riding To Vanity Fair
15/ That Was Me
16/ The End Of The End

It's not a bad little album he should release it ?

My goodness, this could be my choice on macca tracks as well,
good work DaveRam!  ;)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2007, 12:56:43 AM »

Good thread topic.

'Somedays' is the song I would choose if you wanted to get inside of Pauls head for a tune (besides it being my favorite he's ever done).

I absolutely love 'For No One' too, but I cant agree with it being near as good as 'God Only Knows'.

Magness

• A Thousand Pages
  • Simple truth miscalled Simplicity
    • My Gallery of Horrors! XD
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2008, 03:40:28 PM »

I can't listen to this song without the tears!!!!!! it's rather sad, but 'cause it I like it so much!
Stop the Earth spinning round, I'll get out of it!!

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2008, 02:36:53 PM »

Whenever I listen to "For No One" I picture him and Jane.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2019, 07:08:15 AM »

https://youtu.be/G7aIB7sFVdc
Emmylou Harris   1995

https://youtu.be/NIy2Lz_Evio
Emmylou Harris   2007

https://youtu.be/SKESQd-yxLI
Emmylou Harris   East Room as part of a concert honoring Paul McCartney with the Library of Congress Gershwin Prize for Popular Song   2 June 2010
I can stay till it's time to go
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.717 seconds with 70 queries.