Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: So who listens to Beatles in 2007?  (Read 3127 times)

ohyea

• A Beginning
So who listens to Beatles in 2007?
« on: June 03, 2007, 01:27:26 AM »

Is it just me or does everything the beatles ever made music wise sound great to my ears? I find alot of music by them...mostly solo-wise because I have discovered pretty much everything they created as a band. Surely not everything of theirs is the best is it? I am just  at a lost for words because their music is sooo amazing. i kinda wanted to get that out of the way....

so about the topic...So who listens to Beatles in 2007? I know maybe millions of fans still do today but anyone to a point where its religious? I've come and gone with the beatles but still listen to them every day. I stumbled upon them last year. A friend of mine sent me a few songs from the "1" album and I was hooked. from then on I started to buy albums such as "1" and in the process met someone online willing to send me albums and albums upon albums of the beatles. I took them and as I said religiously listened to them. This is me, a 18 year old guy in 2006 who was known for being a huge 2Pac fan just years before. I hope what I am posting makes sense to you all.

Anyone else been hooked to the beatles? whats it like for you? to span through so many albums and history of the best music ever created. I also feel different because most people know of the beatles and most of their famous songs but no one knows them inside and out, album to album. And its just been great also going through their solo stuff. I havent much solo recordings but what I do have is amazing music. "Working Class Hero", "Wingspan", and "All Things Must Pass".

well I just had to get some of this info out. I feel alone sometimes because no one my age or around my age can understand why I am a Beatle-head. I wonder why I am so in love with their music aswell, of course its great music but my age and my culture being Mexican-American sometimes divides me.  

I'd like to ask if their is anyone around my age, 19 right now.. that has the same story as me? i dont know maybe Im just mumbling. responses would be swell!

;D

Flaming Pie in the Sky

• A Thousand Pages
    • Gone Troppo
Re: So who listens to Beatles in 2007?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 01:50:53 AM »

You aren't alone!!! Friends and The Beatles just don't seem to mix..... you love them both, but not together.  ;) :)

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 04:36:24 AM »

Hi, Ohyea. Pardon me if I'm late, but welcome to the forums!

I don't do anything religiously, including listening to the Beatles. I do enjoy their music very much. I'm not even sure I've heard all of it yet, because I'm still finding new recordings that I missed. I've only been a Beatles fan for a short time. I'm going through their catalog slowly, so I can enjoy each album on its own. When I find something I just don't want to live without, I buy it. So it's lots of fun.

It's nice to hear your opinion of their solo records. I only have some of George's solo music, since his style most appealed to me. I imagine I'll branch into the others as I run out of listening material. They really do have a way of hooking the listener in. My personal opinion is they succeed due to their sincerity. They love what they're doing and they're honest about it. It's not an act, but an extension of their personalities. That's why I think it continues to resonate with people today.

Sorry I can't comment more on the friends thing. I'm almost 50 so am completely out of your age bracket. But we have all ages and backgrounds here. I hope you stick around and enjoy the friendly conversation of like-minded people. Cheers!
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

The walrus

• A Beginning
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 03:43:10 AM »

hey, I used to be a tupac fan too and listened to hiphop, mainly because of my brother and everyone else. I never gave classic rock a thought until now probably because i wanted to fit in and listnening to mainstream music would make it easier to fit in. my friend would show me her parents old CD's all the time but i never took any notice and she gave up, now she couldn't be happier that i love her kind of music too lol. now i don't care what people think of me, i'm myself and happy but thats beside the point, although the beatles have alot to do with it. now that i have found them and their wonderful music, i guess you could say i'm obsessed. they have become my life in the short time that i have discovered them. their music makes me happy like no other music ever could and what gets me through the day. I love them like no other band or artist. they ARE the best in my eyes(and ears).  ;D

I'm 17 btw.
&quot;We don’t like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out.&quot; <br />- Decca Recording Co. rejecting the Beatles, 1962

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 01:21:49 PM »

I recently heard a lot of bands today & realised that nothing compare's to the classic's like
the who, david bowie, kinks, beach boys, or the beatles. i stuggle to find a lot of good songs
from these guys todays. i'm always listening to stuff from the past & of course the beatles, because
i find those songs much better & reconizable!
The Beatles music i think grows stronger year by year & lots of new fans keep discovering them!
am i obsessed with the fabs? well, yes, it is an obsession i have because i love learning & listening to them so much! they have made me so happy & still continue to! ;)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 02:16:51 PM »

It suddenly occurred to me, this is why people continue to play Mozart and Beethoven (and a few other classical artists) to this day. Yeah, there were other good people writing nice tunes in those days, but these particular artists and the body of work they produced stuck in people's memory. A cute story: while Beethoven was listening to Mozart's Piano Concerto and the orchestra reached the unusual coda of the last movement, Beethoven whispered to his student: "We will never think of anything like that!" Hmm, sound like anyone else we know? :)

So poor Salieri faded away, while Mozart and a few select others continue to be played regularly today. In 100 years, perhaps the same will be true of rock music. Elvis and the Beatles will still be around, while a few knowledgeable listeners will point out the benefits of relatively obscure groups like Pink Floyd and the Who. Just a thought! Cheers.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 02:54:01 PM »

I think most people who get into The Beatles have their obsessive period, especially when they're younger. I listened to them to the exclusion of everyone else, which I very much regret now, because I missed out on a lot of contempory music (late 70's early 80's) at the time. Now if my grandkids ever ask me what I did in the Summer Of Punk (I was 19) I'm going to have to say "listening to Yesterday." Bummer.

I do enjoy a lot of contempory music, but the classic bands will always have a bit of a hold because everything was new then.
don't follow leaders

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 08:31:22 PM »

Quote from: 551
So poor Salieri faded away, while Mozart and a few select others continue to be played regularly today. In 100 years, perhaps the same will be true of rock music.  

Yes, have you seen the film Amadeus (brilliant movie) on Salieri's jealosy of Mozart. makes you wonder
if john or paul were jealous of each other. :-/ I was listening to classical music before i discovered the beatles,
so i was probley about 10 or something. i suppose that mozart was a 'McCartney' or 'Lennon' of his day &
i appreciate his music.  :)

BlueMeanie

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 11:50:43 AM »

Quote from: 614
makes you wonder
if john or paul were jealous of each other.

I'm sure they were, it's what drove them on. If Paul wrote a No. 1 then John had to write one, and vice versa.

I'm constantly amazed that there are so many young people on this board listening to music made 40 years ago. I was 16 in 1974 and I didn't know anyone who listened to anything pre 1970. I was never, and have never been an obsessive Beatles listener - good because you can remain objective. I hardly listen to the official releases anymore, preffering the different slant that bootlegs give me. I like a lot of current stuff, though my main area would lie between 1965-1973.

maninthequeue

• A Beginning
  • the love you take is equal to the love you make
    • Buzzjack.com
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 07:44:03 PM »

I love listening to popular music, and the Beatles are the best that there ever was, or will be.

There music stands the sands of time because it is so damn good and the songs are so well constructed.

That is why they are the Best of the best (David Bowie, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, The Who, The Kinks, Bob Dylan, Pink Floyd, Kate Bush, Queen, etc).

tangerine

• Getting Better
  • here comes the sun
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2007, 07:53:32 PM »

Quote from: 739
I love listening to popular music, and the Beatles are the best that there ever was, or will be.

There music stands the sands of time because it is so damn good and the songs are so well constructed.

That is why they are the Best of the best (David Bowie, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, The Who, The Kinks, Bob Dylan, Pink Floyd, Kate Bush, Queen, etc).

Hello and welcome, maninthequeue (rolling4) Enjoy the forums!
Excellent list of best artists there! I agree with all of them
<br />But every so often you come across something truly inspiring...<br />
<br />

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2007, 08:13:37 PM »

Quote from: 739

Welcome maninthequeue! ;)
I totally agree with you there, These are the artist who's songs are 'real songs! ;D & they just go
on and on and on and....'ok that's enough!' :P ;D :)

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2007, 01:31:09 PM »

Welcome to the forums, maninthequeue ... hope you'll enjoy them!  :)

BlueMeanie

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2007, 04:34:07 PM »

Can't remember if I've already said welcome. There, I've said it now!

What exactly is it about Queen? I mean, pretty good band, especially the first three albums, but I don't think they deserve to be placed in the company of the likes of The Beatles, The Who, and Led Zep. Or is it just me?

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2007, 04:48:19 PM »

Quote from: 483
Can't remember if I've already said welcome. There, I've said it now!

What exactly is it about Queen? I mean, pretty good band, especially the first three albums, but I don't think they deserve to be placed in the company of the likes of The Beatles, The Who, and Led Zep. Or is it just me?

No. A Night at The Opera was the first album I bought and I loved it. Got Day at The Races - ok, but not as good.
But after that - oh dear. I remember reading (Melody Maker maybe) that Queen are what rock'n'roll would have looked and sounded like if the Germans had one the war. I like that.
I can't stand Brian May's guitar work, and the novelty of Freddies in-your-face vocal delivery. And I find their songs pompous and trashy. They're as subtle as a brick.
But they did well and lots of people love 'em, so they were doing something right I guess.
don't follow leaders

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2007, 05:07:23 PM »

Can't remember if I've already said welcome. There, I've said it now![...]

Well, you'd already done it:
http://dmbeatles.com/forums/m-1180313571/s-14/#num14
... but tooice beatter than once! :)

BlueMeanie

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2007, 06:39:27 PM »

Rax, you really should get a life ;D

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2007, 06:42:06 PM »

Rax, you really should get a life ;D

Oh, but mat-chines[size=9]e[/size] [size=9](like me)[/size] have the longuest lives!  :P

[size=9]"... set fire to that lot."[/size] 8)

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2007, 08:56:16 PM »

I've never been a Queen fan myself but they did some great records i think.
We are the champions & We will rock you are good numbers & pretty dam good hooks! :)

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2007, 08:41:02 PM »

Someone is listening to The Beatles in 2007  , Just look at the UK album chart 18 /6 /2007

The The Traveling Wilburys Collection # 1

Memory Almost Full # 10

Lennon Legend # 30

Sgt Pepper # 47 ,and now in it's 200th week on the UK album chart .

This is great news don't you think ???

DaveRam :)
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.36 seconds with 83 queries.