Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Youngsters: Your Experience?  (Read 3291 times)

Bobber

Youngsters: Your Experience?
« on: September 21, 2007, 09:24:22 AM »

Found this. And it made me wonder what the experiences of the younger people in here are. Any comments?

Many of today's teens still think the Beatles are fab

More than 40 years after its conquest of America, the group's appeal to younger fans remains strong.

Nothing's gonna change my world. Nothing's gonna change my world," sings John Lennon in "Across the Universe," arguably one of the Beatles's finest songs. "Universe" was recorded in 1968, toward the end of the Beatles' six-year grip on the world's consciousness.

Fast-forward nearly 40 years later and it seems the world the Fab Four created is still unchanged. To this day, there hasn't been a single band to reach the same commercial and creative success that those four lads from Liverpool managed to do. Every couple years, yet another remastering or anthology of Beatle songs is released, most recently the soundtrack to Cirque de Soleil's Beatles-themed show, "Love." Julie Taymor's psychedelic movie-musical, "Across the Universe", based on the music of the Beatles is opening in wide release today.

But in the wake of hip-hop and rap's dominance of the music charts and the gradual aging of the baby boomer generation, many may wonder whether the legacy of the Beatles will finally start to fade, if the universal themes of their music will still resonate with teenagers or if those same increasingly cynical young people will deem their music too trite or lame to be worth listening to.

Courtney Williams, 16, of Mission Viejo doesn't think the Beatles will be forgotten just yet, citing "Yellow Submarine" as her favorite cartoon. "I love them. I've listened to them since I was a little kid.

komakino

• Getting Better
  • fly me to the moon
    • last.fm
Re: Youngsters: Your Experience?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 10:46:29 AM »

you can't dance to them?? i do  ;D

many of my friends listen to the beatles because of me, i always take my music with me whereever i am and most people started to like them. the funny thing is my parents don't.... they think it's very weird that i know so much about them, have their records, wear those clothes, go to the abbey road... they often ask me what about the music of my generation? isn't there anything as good? my big sister said it's weird i listen to old music... it's part of a different generation, not part of mine. i should get into my own generation.
i don't want to say all music nowadays is crap, it isn't for sure... but the beatles are unique, we all know that. and many people who come across their records hear that. there are less people who do but i try to change that... ^^ i've a mission... give me my batmobile.
george george whoops george whoops george george george

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 02:37:33 PM »

Quote from: 418
my big sister said it's weird i listen to old music... it's part of a different generation, not part of mine. i should get into my own generation.

You can't tell people what to listen to! wheather it's old or new, it's your choice!
One thing i hate about bands today is that they don't have the wonderful energy
that those guys in the 60's or 70's put into their music. like the Beatles, kinks,
who, led zepp, etc. I must admitt that bands all sound the same to me today,
i'm mainly into the singer-songwriter today.

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

Dark Phoenyx

• Getting Better
  • Paul Mc Cartney is the true bass god!
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 05:13:37 PM »

Quote from: 614
One thing i hate about bands today is that they don't have the wonderful energy
that those guys in the 60's or 70's put into their music. like the Beatles, kinks,
who, led zepp, etc. I must admitt that bands all sound the same to me today,
i'm mainly into the singer-songwriter today.

I couldn't agree much more. Most of today's bands might do a couple of good songs but they lack the energy of bands like The Beatles, Led Zeppelin or The Rolling Stones.  
<br /><br />The warlus was Paul...   8)

Beatlemaniac64

• Getting Better
  • "Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted" - John
    • Instagram
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 08:09:41 PM »

The Beatles are definitly without question the most popular and loved band in the world today. But when I go to school, this doesn't seem true at all. I feel like I'm the only teenager in my school who likes them. I'm sure there's others that I don't know that like them in my school, but usually people listen to rap and stuff like that on their iPods. That's all I ever see. I agree that rap is just a beat, it's not music.

The Beatles on the other hand, are the epitomy of what true music is. How could someone not like them? Yes, you can dance to some of their songs, and they're all entertaining, whether it's I Saw Her Standing There or I Am The Walrus. They were extremely unique as people and the music is timeless and unique as well. It's for all ages, I got my 10 year old cousin to love them, and my three year old niece too. It's the only music that caught my attention and won my heart. They as people did the same, they all four are very talented and charming.

We learned about the Beatles last year in history class, and I of course loved this! It seems like this would get other kids interested in them, but instead they just forget about it and continue to listen to what they call music. I think it's mostly 'cause they want to fit in with what's popular, and don't want to seem weird for liking a band from over 40 years ago. I get people asking why I like them, but I don't care what people think of me.

But I love how there's just so many fans out there who are all still loyal to the Fab Four. The reason why I come on these forums and spend time with my family and my one friend who loves the Beatles is to get away from those who don't care and to talk about the best band ever who's music is STILL the soundtrack of our lives, and has been for the past 40+ years.

sorry for the long post, got a little carried away!  ;D :P
-Julia
Born 1991, fan since 2006

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 08:56:11 PM »

i dont like todays music as it seems to polished and when it recorded it all done track by track, where as the older generation are so good at playing live they can sometimes do it in a couple of takes with vocals included, also bands today have no personality, i am interested as much about the guys as i am the music

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 09:30:21 PM »

I'm really enjoying your responses, everyone. Great thread; thanks for contributing!
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 11:11:56 PM »

Quote from: 793
The Beatles are definitly without question the most popular and loved band in the world today. But when I go to school, this doesn't seem true at all. I feel like I'm the only teenager in my school who likes them.

Don't worry, i felt the same way! I felt like i was the only Beatles fan in my school.
In fact, just about everyone i knew at my school loved sport & we hardly had
any musicains!  >:(

Beatlemaniac64

• Getting Better
    • Instagram
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 07:43:26 PM »

Quote from: 758
also bands today have no personality, i am interested as much about the guys as i am the music

Exactly. But with the Beatles, we all know everything about them and their personalities almost like we personally know them. That's 'cause they and their music are both interesting, unlike stuff from today, like you were saying.
-Julia

ElementaryPenguin

• A Beginning
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007, 03:51:49 PM »

Rabid youngster checking in. Well, youngster in the sense that I was born after they'd broken up. I have always been proud that I fell in love with them when I was too young to've been influenced by society. Knowing I'd stumbled upon something great I felt the need to spread this on to my friends-still do ;) It is amazing how many friends and enemies you can make for loving the Beatles. I know what's on the radio and most of it doesn't pass muster. I have passed this love of the Beatles onto my brother who is 8 years younger than I, so it will be carried on!
[size=14] &quot;Reality leaves a lot to the imagination&quot;-JL<br /><br />&quot;It's fear of the unknown. The unknown is what it is. And to be frightened of it is what sends everybody scurryi

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2007, 03:51:59 AM »

I got into The Beatles in December of my 7th grade year (2000) and all through out Jr. High and High school I was basically the only Beatles fan there.  I was known as the Beatles kid and I remember during my senior year we had a 50's/60's day so I dressed up like The Beatles when they went to India in '68 and I carried a guitar and I will never forget one moment...I was walking down the stairs and the kid that was in front of me turned around and said "Dude...are you Jesus?" LOL

Also, in 8th grade English we had to do this worksheet on The Beatles and everybody came up to me and wanted to be my partner haha it was so hilarious.

When I saw McCartney in '05 in Des Moines...a few of my other friends went to go see Nickelback (who also played in Des Moines about a couple months after Paul) and they were all "OMG NICKELBACK WAS SO AWESOME OMG OMG" and I was just like "Please...Nickelback has nothing on Paul McCartney."

A couple of my friends had the nerve to tell me that The Beach Boys mean more to music then the Beatles and I just laughed.

I did get my best friend into liking them however..he's not a big fan but an occasional listener.

It's tough but inside I felt sorry for all those kids who weren't into the Beatles because they were missing out on something incredible.

bobbydylanlover

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2007, 12:22:39 PM »

There's not that many fans around where I live, which sucks. Some of my friends are complete arses about me liking the Beatles because they're "old" but some other friends of mine don't pretend their ears are bleeding when a Beatles song is on.

Its pretty much ignorance that most a lot of teens don't like the Beatles. No one knows a song and pretty much refuses to because they're "old" ::)

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2007, 12:06:24 AM »

Quote from: 852
There's not that many fans around where I live, which sucks. Some of my friends are complete arses about me liking the Beatles because they're "old" but some other friends of mine don't pretend their ears are bleeding when a Beatles song is on.

It's annoying ain't it!
There's not a lot of Beatles fan's round my area either,
all that rave nonsense blasting out of bedroom windows! ;D >:(

only people i know who are fans are my best friend who lives up the
road & a girl i know who is only 16!!! still young fans coming up to
keep the memory alive! :D ;)

Flaming Pie in the Sky

• A Thousand Pages
    • Gone Troppo
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2007, 12:18:06 AM »

There's hardly any young Beatles fans where I live either. I heard someone singing 'strawberry fields forever' in the hall at school the other day, and I nearly ran the kids in front of me over to get a glimpse of who it was, I was that surprised. A girl in my English class at school was wearing a shirt that said "All you need is love", and I told her I liked the song. "It's a song?" she asked.  :o

My friends and my parents think it's weird I listen to old music. In fact, the other day my dad said to me, "You can't spend your whole life listening to rock n' roll. Why not try a different type of music?"
(!) :o

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2007, 05:39:43 AM »

I HATE that..people who wear Beatle shirts because it's "cool"  ::)

bobbydylanlover

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2007, 03:36:43 AM »

Quote from: 614

It's annoying ain't it!
There's not a lot of Beatles fan's round my area either,
all that rave nonsense blasting out of bedroom windows! ;D >:(

only people i know who are fans are my best friend who lives up the
road & a girl i know who is only 16!!! still young fans coming up to
keep the memory alive! :D ;)

Haha, blaring out the windows in my neighborhood is stupid Nickleback, Sean Kingston, and God only knows what else.
In the summer though, I always open my bedroom windows and blare "Love You To" and "The Inner Light" haha  ;D

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2007, 03:11:50 PM »

Quote from: 852
In the summer though, I always open my bedroom windows and blare "Love You To" and "The Inner Light" haha  ;D

haha, nice one! I remember blasting out Two Virgins once! ;D ;D
yep, rumour's spread like wild fire to stay away from me! ;D :P ;D

bobbydylanlover

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2007, 03:06:15 AM »

hahah that's funny
My neighbors just gawk up at my house
Don't like that kind of racket, I guess
:p

Beatlemaniac64

• Getting Better
    • Instagram
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2007, 10:39:26 PM »

Quote from: 687
There's hardly any young Beatles fans where I live either. I heard someone singing 'strawberry fields forever' in the hall at school the other day, and I nearly ran the kids in front of me over to get a glimpse of who it was, I was that surprised. A girl in my English class at school was wearing a shirt that said "All you need is love", and I told her I liked the song. "It's a song?" she asked.  :o

My friends and my parents think it's weird I listen to old music. In fact, the other day my dad said to me, "You can't spend your whole life listening to rock n' roll. Why not try a different type of music?"
(!) :o

Wow, your parents think it's weird??  :o That's a shock, my parents LOVE the Beatles and always have since the 60s. They're VERY supportive of my Beatles/60s loving.

Yeah, I saw someone with a shirt that said All You Need Is Love the other day too  :o , but I don't think she even knew the whole "thing" behind it. She probably just thought "Aw, that's a cute little phrase", and didn't even know it was made famous by the Beatles! That's funny when that girl in your class said "It's a song??" Wow...
-Julia

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2008, 12:11:38 AM »

There's hardly any young Beatles fans where I live either. I heard someone singing 'strawberry fields forever' in the hall at school the other day, and I nearly ran the kids in front of me over to get a glimpse of who it was, I was that surprised. A girl in my English class at school was wearing a shirt that said "All you need is love", and I told her I liked the song. "It's a song?" she asked.  

(!)

Man, i know what you mean, being in a private school full of nothing but biased anti-Beatles people it is nearly impossable to meet a true Beatles fan! however, one day my spanish teacher played one of her CDs in class, so while everyone was chattering i noticed someone say "let it be....let it be.." then i relized it was my teacher's CD player! As i was about to come up and tell her how much of a fan i was i notice someone shout out, "i LOVE the Beatles! I'm one of the biggest fans at this school!!!!" . so i come up to this guy and start talking about the Beatles. then when i asked him to name three of his favorites. then he says "uhhhhhhhh......welll........i only know two songs......i just have Hey Jude and Hello Goodbye on my ipod" this coming from the guy who just announced that he was the biggest Beatles fan in the whole school! i just gave him a dissapointed look and walked back to my seat. then some guy says to me "well, i really like Lieutenant Pepper's Big Band" i then ask him " you mean Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band?" he then shouts "No! its lieutenant!!" so then i gave him another dissapointed look and sighed to myself. And i haven't found another Beatles fan that goes to my same school ever since.  :'( :'(
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 1.181 seconds with 83 queries.