Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: best alternative songwriting partnership ?  (Read 2387 times)

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
best alternative songwriting partnership ?
« on: January 19, 2008, 07:49:58 AM »

Just wondering who everyone thinks would have been the best alternative songwriting partnership if it hadn't been Lennon/McCartney ?

i personally think Lennon/Harrison would probably gel the best as they both seemed to have similar style and i think it would have been 50/50 when coming up with ideas and writing.

I think McCartney/Harrison wouldn't go as well, i maybe Paul would be quite over powering when it came to writing.

i dont think the ringo/....  would work as well as the previous two but put them for other folks who might have different thoughts .

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
Re: best alternative songwriting partnership ?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 02:22:53 PM »

Just on the hit Photograph ive gone with George and Ringo it's a great song .
Although i think the wives made some good contributions Paul and Linda were an ok partnership ?

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 02:47:31 PM »

Don't think George would have been 50/50 with either John or Paul ,more like 70 /30 at best ?
However i think he might have worked better with Paul ,the guitar interview harihead posted in the George thread illustrates that George even with Paul's bullying appriciated Paul's help on Something amd While My Guitar Gently Weeps ?
Think George a bit like me liked a firm hand  ;D ,were both Pisces and are prone to drifting .

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 04:19:56 PM »

I would have quite fancied hearing Macca / Harrison write together. i think it
would have been interesting. McCartney with his powerful melodies & arrangmensts &
Harrison with his powerful lyrics. i always thought that Harrison was just as good at lyrics
than Lennon.
Apart from that i still wish that John Lennon & Bob Dylan got together to write a piece, that
would have been something!  :)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

Beatles

• A Beginning
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 06:04:12 PM »

I went with Lennon Harrison. There was never any mean thoughts between them I don't think. that one wouldve lasted

Bobber

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 06:59:54 PM »

Quote from: 937
I went with Lennon Harrison. There was never any mean thoughts between them I don't think. that one wouldve lasted

John was not very eager to help George with his songwriting. George asked for John's help for the lyrics of Taxman and although John helped him out, he later stated in an interview that he didn't really want to do it. On George's later songs John hardly contributed anything instrumentally. George and Paul would have made the best alternative partnership in my opinion. They were schoolmates and were open to help each other out.

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 09:18:10 PM »

Quote from: 63

John was not very eager to help George with his songwriting. George asked for John's help for the lyrics of Taxman and although John helped him out, he later stated in an interview that he didn't really want to do it. On George's later songs John hardly contributed anything instrumentally. George and Paul would have made the best alternative partnership in my opinion. They were schoolmates and were open to help each other out.

well thats turned ma opinion about quite a bit i never knew that about taxman.

blackmath

• A Beginning
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 10:10:09 AM »

george + ringo = are you kidding me

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 12:51:55 PM »

right who voted harrison/starr own up :P

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 10:00:02 PM »

My vote goes to Harrison and Lennon. I think George's style would've matched John's better than Paul's. For instance, I can easily imagine John singing Something or While My Guitar Gently Weeps, while I can't really imagine Paul singing those (I know he did Something on ukulele, but I'm talking about the songs in their original arrangements).

Quote from: 706

I think it sound like a very interesting partnership. Octopus's Garden was a George & Ringo song. Ringo wrote the raw basic song, George rearranged it and turned it into the song that we know now and was kind enough to not ask for writing credits. I know many people don't take that song seriously, but I love it. The guitar parts are some of the best George ever recorded. I think the combination of George's musical brilliance and Ringo's almost childlike musical naivity could've resulted into some very interesting songs.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2008, 04:36:01 AM »

Quote from: 758
well thats turned ma opinion about quite a bit i never knew that about taxman.
Well, let's put it in perspective. John was incurably lazy. What he said was, "Oh, no, I have to work on George's stuff too?" It's not that he disliked working with George particularly, he just disliked... working.  ;)

Quote from: 56
I think the combination of George's musical brilliance and Ringo's almost childlike musical naivity could've resulted into some very interesting songs.
I think they worked well together. "Photograph" and "It Don't Come Easy" were also lovely songs.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

BlueMeanie

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2008, 07:58:47 AM »

No. I voted for them. The proof is in the songs: Photograph, It Don't Come Easy. In fact, together they also co-wrote - along with Stephen Stills, and Doris Troy - several songs for Troy's debut Apple album. So there! :P

blackmath

• A Beginning
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2008, 10:16:40 AM »

Quote from: 56
I think it sound like a very interesting partnership. Octopus's Garden was a George & Ringo song.

i like that song too, but the beatles were together like 10 years and how many songs did ringo wrote? and i certainly think don't pass me by well.. is one of their worst songs, or maybe worst. i didn't know octopus's garden was credited george/ringo btw. - allright did a research and realized that george helped him. heh.

Quote from: 483
Photograph, It Don't Come Easy.

okay, so now there are 3 song they wrote together, but seriously, paul/george songs vs ringo/george songs. "best alternative songwriting partnership"? respect your thoughts though.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2008, 11:58:06 AM »

i like that song too, but the beatles were together like 10 years and how many songs did ringo wrote? and i certainly think don't pass me by well.. is one of their worst songs, or maybe worst. i didn't know octopus's garden was credited george/ringo btw. - allright did a research and realized that george helped him. heh.

I know Ringo can't write songs, at least not on his own (you're right, Don't Pass Me By is bad), but I think his style could've had an interesting influence on George's music.

It's like with the Beach Boys. Mike Love isn't exactly a musical genius, the songs he wrote on his own are truely awful (except for Big Sur), but he was a great songwriting partner for Brian Wilson because his way of thinking was so completely different. Brian was the musical genius who wrote the songs, but it was mostly Mike who created that image of California as some paradise with nothing but fast cars, sunny beaches and hot girls. Brian was a melancholic, introspective guy who would rather spend his day at home or in the studio than on the beach. I don't think the Beach Boys as most people know them know would've excisted without Mike's influence on Brian. That's why I think that Ringo & George could've been an interesting duo.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2008, 05:06:03 PM »

Ringo and George could have been as big as  " Chase and Dave " - Rabbit - Rabbit - Rabbit  :D :D :D

BlueMeanie

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2008, 05:35:18 PM »

Quote from: 971
Ringo and George could have been as big as  " Chase and Dave " - Rabbit - Rabbit - Rabbit  :D :D :D

I always look forward to your measured and informed replies Dave! ;D

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2008, 12:03:59 PM »

Quote from: 483

I always look forward to your measured and informed replies Dave! ;D

LOL  just my little joke ;D

dabbik

• A Beginning
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2008, 02:51:55 PM »

Lennon and Harrison = D

maninthequeue

• A Beginning
  • the love you take is equal to the love you make
    • Buzzjack.com
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2008, 09:19:11 PM »

No question = Harrison & Starr.

I think both Paul & John would have been too overpowering/intimidating/patronising for George & Ringo.

Listen to It Don't Come Easy & Photograph for proof of a great potential partnership.

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2008, 10:48:20 PM »

I voted Harrison/Starr.

As it was said before there are proofs the partnership works (audial proof). I do know though, that George did try to put in alot of religious aspects into songs and Ringo wasn't as keen but it didnt really change things between them.

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.786 seconds with 82 queries.