Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How hard was Paul on Ringo?  (Read 2951 times)

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
How hard was Paul on Ringo?
« on: November 09, 2021, 11:19:22 PM »

I hope I'm not creating a duplicate thread. . . I'm trying to catch up on what I missed and don't have time at the moment to search all of the Ringo topics and Paul topics.

As I posted awhile back, my friends got me a housewarming gift of a framed copy of the March 21, 1964 issue of The Saturday Evening Post, which had a cover story on the Beatles authored by rock journalist Arthur G. Aronowitz. A quick online search seems to indicate he has a pretty solid reputation.

I was surprised to read the following excerpt: "When [the Beatles] disagree on anything, Ringo is the last to get his way. 'You'd be nowhere, Paul McCartney says to him, 'if it weren't for the rest of us."

This seems awfully harsh. Was Paul really this derisive toward Ringo? 

Here's the link to the article, not sure it will work; the SEP apparently has a paywall up. https://www.saturdayeveningpost.com/reprints/yeah_yeah_yeah_3_21_64/
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
Re: How hard was Paul on Ringo?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2021, 12:09:05 AM »

No the link didnt work, they want money  ha2ha
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2021, 01:00:38 AM »

Yeah, they want money.

But you can read the article with pictures for free here:  Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! Music`s Gold Bugs: The Beatles
I can stay till it's time to go

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2021, 02:47:06 AM »

Apparently when Ringo left during the white album sessions his words to Maureen were “F***ing Paul”

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2021, 02:15:38 PM »

Pauls an a**hole sometimes for sure.  They all were at times.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2021, 02:33:47 PM »

Apparently when Ringo left during the white album sessions his words to Maureen were “F***ing Paul”

I remember reading that, also that he would often go home from those sessions in tears because Paul kept overdubbing Ringo's work with his own.

Pauls an a**hole sometimes for sure.  They all were at times.

That's for sure. It seems like this was particularly the case during the White Album sessions. I got anxious just reading about them in Geoff Emerick's book.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2021, 08:25:49 PM »

I remember reading that, also that he would often go home from those sessions in tears because Paul kept overdubbing Ringo's work with his own.

I’ve heard things like that but aside from Back in the USSR and Dear Prudence which were done when Ringo was away I’m not aware of other tracks on the White Album with Paul’s  drumming. He even used Ringo on Why Don’t We Do It in the Road which otherwise was a Paul solo track.

By this stage I think Paul had just got very set in how he wanted his songs done. He had all the parts worked out and just wanted someone to play them. Which is tricky in a band.

Btw good to see you back Normandie  :)

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2021, 10:23:11 PM »

That's very kind of you to say, Moogmodule.  :)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2021, 01:54:57 AM »

Yes it is.  :)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2021, 02:03:55 AM »

George knew how to deal with Paul alright...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS9acw15GTU" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS9acw15GTU</a>

;D

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2021, 03:26:51 AM »

When Let It Be gets re-released, you'll see just how strained the interpersonal relationships were in early 1969.  The only time it appeared The Beatles were having fun was on the rooftop.

That's another reason why I'm not interested in watching the upcoming documentary.  I saw Let It Be in the theater when it was first run.  It was a difficult watch for sure.  The 16mm footage combined with the stark studio they were in added to the melancholy mood.  I think the remastering will brighten things up a bit and will have some entertainment value.  But I'd rather remember it as the fair-quality visual and narrationless documentary it was in 1970 when we were first learning of their breakup.  At that time, we thought Badfinger was going to be the next Beatles...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjbbtciZiAg" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjbbtciZiAg</a>

When we first heard that on the radio in early 1970, we thought it was the latest Beatles song!  It's a pity what happened to them.

Thank-you all for putting up with my reminiscing.  :)

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2021, 11:57:28 AM »

i was just a 5 year old when they broke up, honestly I have never seen original Let it Be movie, always steered away from it because of the darkness reputation.  I am looking forward to the new documentary version, it promises a more even approach, show bad with good throughout the footage. 

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2021, 05:21:04 PM »

i was just a 5 year old when they broke up, honestly I have never seen original Let it Be movie, always steered away from it because of the darkness reputation.  I am looking forward to the new documentary version, it promises a more even approach, show bad with good throughout the footage.

I've never seen the original, either, and I haven't been able to track it down on any streaming service. I saw the trailer for Get Back a few weeks ago, and I'm very much looking forward to seeing it. One of my daughters is hosting her first Thanksgiving and invited me (sadly, I can't go) and ended her message with "unless you want to say home and watch your six-hour Beatles thing."  ha2ha   

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2021, 06:39:36 PM »

as if there really was hesitation on which you/we would do?

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2021, 07:36:39 PM »

as if there really was hesitation on which you/we would do?

Exactly! Like I would ever choose the Beatles over one of my children. I'm pretty sure she was joking. I'm so disappointed that I can't go, but I have a part-time job to help make bills, and we are flat-out required to work on Black Friday. They made that clear last February when I was hired. I'm almost tempted to quit so I can make this trip. She's 4 hours away, so it would involve an overnight stay. Disappointing.  :( 
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 07:43:58 PM by Normandie »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2021, 08:08:40 PM »

As I mentioned in a different thread, I bought this bootleg Let It Be DVD in 2004...

It's the original 16mm film release as I saw it in the theater in 1970.  I'm happy with it and watch it on rare occasions.  It chronicled the end of The Beatles...

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2021, 08:17:29 PM »

I've never seen the original, either, and I haven't been able to track it down on any streaming service.

There's a reason for that, Kathy.  For many years Paul was opposed to the film's re-release...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVnmr3bna-M" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVnmr3bna-M</a>

14:23

Now, suddenly, he "loves it."

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2021, 09:16:32 PM »

I've never seen the original, either, and I haven't been able to track it down on any streaming service. I saw the trailer for Get Back a few weeks ago, and I'm very much looking forward to seeing it. One of my daughters is hosting her first Thanksgiving and invited me (sadly, I can't go) and ended her message with "unless you want to say home and watch your six-hour Beatles thing."  ha2ha

I also will forsake thanksgiving for the new doc  ;D

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2021, 09:31:19 PM »

I recall seeing Let it Be in the early 70s on TV. I think they must have had a Beatles movie season with a different one each week. I was only nine or ten and I remember asking my brother when the story was going to start. The previous film is seen was Help and thought it was going to be like that.  ha2ha

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2021, 09:49:13 PM »

The previous film is seen was Help and thought it was going to be like that.  ha2ha

Were you ever wrong, huh?   ;D
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 9.331 seconds with 78 queries.