Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: George's First Great Song  (Read 10424 times)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: George's First Great Song
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2006, 12:11:06 AM »

Quote from: 297
I do enjoy Don't Bother Me (it's as good as most of the other stuff from John and Paul included on the album) ...

... and I Need You (an underrated song ... and better than some of the others of the album too)

I'll second this.

Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2006, 03:55:39 AM »

I've always felt the first song he recorded, Don't Bother Me, was great.  It's fun to listen to his early takes to see how this song evolved.  In my opinion, his songs just kept getting better all the time culminating with masterpieces like While My Guitar Gently Weeps and Here Comes The Sun.  I've always admired his quiet and persistent mastery of both the guitar and his songwriting ability.
I can stay till it's time to go

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
  • Insanity is just a state of mind
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2006, 04:50:48 PM »

is it just me or did mr. kite repeat the same response like 6 times?
«if asking, begging and pleading doesn't work, always go with a song and dance number.» ;D
In need of a computer? visit Coughlin Computers http://coughlincomputers.tripod.com

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2007, 08:15:29 PM »

I love You Know What To Do ... a really hidden treasure! :)

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2007, 04:30:23 PM »

Quote from: 9
And I still don't know why those knuckleheads didn't immediately record and release "All Things Must Pass" when crap like "Dig It" and "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" were deemed important.
This is a mystery, adamzero. I wondered at several of their choices at that time, considering some of the songs that were released vs. others that were held over for the solo careers (although they didn't plan it that way at the time). I think it robbed the Beatles legacy of some truly fine work, which is regrettable, because I think the solo careers are followed by only a fraction of the Beatles following. So frustrating!

But choosing the songs to bump, that would be hard. I have my list, but then I see the songs I would bump appear as someone else's favorite tracks. I suppose it was that way with the Beatles as well. Or as George once said, you didn't necessarily bring in your best song, but the one you thought would be easiest for the group to understand and work with. So there might have been some of that pressure as well.

Great first song: Am I the only one addicted to "Think For Yourself?" I love it as well as "If I Needed Someone". Rubber Soul was George's breakout album, IMHO.

All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • &quot;The dude abides.&quot;
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2007, 06:54:20 PM »

Rubber Soul is an incredible album.  I think the Revolver-mania makes it and Sgt. Pepper get shoved to the side.  Unfairly.  John's work on Rubber Soul is as good or better than Revolver.  

I think George comes out slightly better on Revolver than Rubber Soul just because he gets an extra song and the album opener.  Still, If I Needed Someone is a classic.  

I really like Think for Yourself, but that damned fuzz-bass is too hot in the mix.  And I think there's a second bass (unfuzzed) under it too.  I'd love to hear a mix of it without the fuzz.  

George was kicking ass by the mid-60s as a songwriter.  Gotta love his chord changes.  

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2007, 08:54:10 PM »

Quote from: 9
I think George comes out slightly better on Revolver than Rubber Soul just because he gets an extra song and the album opener.  Still, If I Needed Someone is a classic.  
Heartily agree with both statements! Yes, 3 George songs are better than 2. Especially when they're all so good!  :)

George was kicking ass by the mid-60s as a songwriter.  Gotta love his chord changes.
I love this quote of Bob Dylan's, "Their chords were outrageous, just outrageous, and their harmonies made it all valid..." Well, George was the source of those outrageous chords (or "naughty" chords, as he would have preferred to call them). I love the story of George and Bob sitting down together and George saying, "Give me some words!" and Bob saying "What about those chords?"  :D

I just bought Rubber Soul. *skips and jumps* I own hardly any Beatles music, but I found a deal on this and snapped it up. So now I own 4 Beatles albums. Thank goodness for the library and YouTube!

All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2007, 09:00:19 PM »

My friend, Harihead, you have A LOT of Beatles to discover! ;D

BlueMeanie

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2007, 10:38:33 PM »

Quote from: 197
My friend, Harihead, you have A LOT of Beatles to discover! ;D

An awful lot!!

Happy hunting :)

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2007, 11:24:22 PM »

I am so looking forward to it! Getting to possess and revel in these treasures will be like reading Lord of the Rings for the first time. Not to be missed!

BlueMeanie, here's a present for you. Cheers!

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2007, 11:36:16 PM »

Quote from: 551
[...]

BlueMeanie, here's a present for you. Cheers!

His next avatar?  8)

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2007, 12:01:17 AM »

His next avatar?  8)

Somehow  8) ... or the idea for ...

wingsman

• Getting Better
  • There is always a reason to live
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2007, 02:29:03 PM »

I Need You. His best with Beatles to me is Long Long Long.
I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't eat trash... I work out hard everyday and have a healthy life. And I'm proud of it.

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2007, 03:26:50 PM »

Quote from: 713
I Need You. His best with Beatles to me is Long Long Long.
What?  :o Long Long Long is in my top 10!!! How underated it is!!! I think it's one of the hidden treasures of their whole catalogue! I like your taste, wingsman  ;D ...

Bobber

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2007, 06:09:43 PM »

Somehow  8) ... or the idea for ...

Talking to yourself, raxo?

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2007, 10:36:05 PM »

Don't Bother Me i think was quite impressive for a first song, so i'd choose that!

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2007, 04:36:16 PM »

Quote from: 614
Don't Bother Me i think was quite impressive for a first song, so i'd choose that!
The one I'd chosen ... he begun with a great song ... and it was his first song so  ;D ...

Octie

• A Thousand Pages
  • It's sunshine life for me...
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2007, 03:21:52 AM »

I like Don't Bother Me... but I like I Need You more, and Think For Yourself even more...
So I dunno whether I should go with Don't Bother Me or I Need You :-/

I agree with Hello Goodbye when he said:

Quote from: 59
In my opinion, his songs just kept getting better all the time

And I definitely agree with this too:

Quote from: 59
I've always admired his quiet and persistent mastery of both the guitar and his songwriting ability.

I've always admired how hard he worked and how focused he was as far as mastering the guitar (and developing songwriting abilities) were concerned... from what I read, it "didn't come easy" (do excuse the pun  :B)
I'd ask my friends to come and see... an Octopus's Garden with me ^___^

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2007, 03:30:20 AM »

I agree with you and Hello Goodbye ... some others may agree too about George's abilities ... some others don't  ... but I love this sentence: "his quiet and persistent mastery of both the guitar and his songwriting ability" ... I think it says it all!  :)

sewi

• Getting Better
  • Life is short
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2007, 11:21:17 AM »

I need you
And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Page created in 0.245 seconds with 84 queries.