Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Hare Krisna - The Best Of GH  (Read 2668 times)

wingsman

• Getting Better
  • There is always a reason to live
Hare Krisna - The Best Of GH
« on: September 13, 2007, 02:43:35 PM »

Don't entusiasm! It's not a new collection of George Harrison (sadly...  :(). I just made my own 1-CD compilation of George Harrison's greatest hits, as I did last year with Paul

(see http://www.dmbeatles.com/forums/b-mccartney/m-1183927982/s-0/ )

(Paul's actually was a 2-CD album), and I want to know what you think
Remember it's just 1 CD so there's space for not more than 80 minutes!

[size=18]Hare Krishna - The Very Best Of George Harrison [/size](I put that title of course kidding, it's the most awful title a GH collection could have  :P )
01 My Sweet Lord
02 Blow Away
03 Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth)
04 All Those Years Ago
05 What Is Life
06 Crackerbox Palace
07 Dark Horse
08 When We Was Fab
09 This Song
10 Isn't It A Pity
11 Got My Mind Set On You
12 Ding Dong
13 This Is Love
14 Wake Up My Love
15 Stuck Inside A Cloud
16 True Love
17 Bangla Desh
18 You
19 Handle With Care
20 All Things Must Pass

The album length's actually 79:47
Like the album? Any comments?  ;)

(I'm sorry for include 'True Love', but I included it just for time restrictions...)
I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't eat trash... I work out hard everyday and have a healthy life. And I'm proud of it.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
Re: Hare Krisna - The Best Of GH
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 10:56:13 PM »

Well, everyone's going to have their favorite songs. My list would look a lot different. :)

(Just sorted by album, not running order)
* = must have!!! ...but I love them all...

Isn't It A Pity (Version One)
Wah-Wah
* What is Life
* Let It Down
* Run of the Mill
* Beware of Darkness
* Ballad Of Sir Frankie Crisp (Let It Roll)
* Hear Me Lord

Bangla Desh

* Who Can See It
Try Some Buy Some
* That Is All

Hari's On Tour
* Dark Horse (live version)
So Sad

You
The Answer's At The End
This Guitar (Can't Keep From Crying)

Dear One
* This Song
* See Yourself
It's What You Value
Crackerbox Palace

* Not Guilty
* Soft-Hearted Hana
Blow Away
* Faster

Blood From A Clone
* All Those Years Ago
* Baltimore Oriole

* That's The Way It Goes
Greece
* Gone Troppo
Mystical One
Dream Away
Circles

Cloud 9
* That's What It Takes
This Is Love
* When We Was Fab
Devil's Radio

*Cheer Down

Any Road  
Vatican Blues (Last Saturday Night)    
* Pisces Fish
* Looking for My Life  
* Rising Sun    
* Marwa Blues
* Stuck Inside a Cloud
Run So Far
Brainwashed  

...I keep editing this to add stars... and songs... there's so much good Harrison. I like the mood of his albums. So many of the songs are thoughtful, beautiful, or plain fun; it's not an endless stream of pop. Somewhere in England seems most uneven to me, probably due to interference with his intended release. But his other albums convey a fairly unified mood and the best have a kind of movement to them. Just lovely listening.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 01:21:37 AM »

I absolutely must have 'Wah-Wah'

:'(

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 01:57:33 AM »

Quote from: 843
I absolutely must have 'Wah Wah'

:'(
I added it just for you, Klang! There is to be no crying on the Best of George album. :)

All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 02:20:12 AM »

;D

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

wingsman

• Getting Better
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2007, 06:27:12 PM »

Quote from: 551
Well, everyone's going to have their favorite songs. My list would look a lot different. :)

(Just sorted by album, not running order)
* = must have!!! ...but I love them all...

[...]

...I keep editing this to add stars... and songs... there's so much good Harrison. I like the mood of his albums. So many of the songs are thoughtful, beautiful, or plain fun; it's not an endless stream of pop. Somewhere in England seems most uneven to me, probably due to interference with his intended release. But his other albums convey a fairly unified mood and the best have a kind of movement to them. Just lovely listening.

You're right about Somewhere In England.
The songs that you picked are great tracks, but too many for an album. Maybe a 2 or 3-CD box set. I was referring to the songs to choose for a 1-CD or maybe 2-CD Greatest Hits package. I guess the songs from my album are the right ones, if we're talking about 'hits'. But of course there's too much good songs that were not hits. We all know that.

Maybe we could make our own 'Hits and History' to include hits on the CD 1 and good songs (and rarities...) on the CD 2. We could make a Harrispan people!  :P
I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't eat trash... I work out hard everyday and have a healthy life. And I'm proud of it.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2007, 11:40:06 PM »

The problem for me is your title: The BEST of George Harrison. Hari was not a poppy kind of guy. He could do it, but it wasn't his strength. Right now there's a discussion going on in the "No singles from "The White Album" - pick two" thread where I completely agree with you:

Quote from: 713
Maybe While My Guitar Gently Weeps is the best track on the album. But URSS and Obladi are the most commercial for sure.

The pity about George is that a lot of people know him only through his "hits". I actually don't care for many of his so-called hits. I don't think the commercial format plays to his strengths. So if _I_ were going for a "best of" collection, I wouldn't do a collection of hits. I'd collect the beautiful tracks that no one ever hears unless they already have his solo set. George is best when he follows his heart. He generally lets me down when he tries to follow the market. He is Anti-Commercial Man. :)

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 02:55:24 PM »

But then again if i bought a Best Of , i would want all the hits with
a couple of album tracks! a bit like the Wingspan i suppose or Working
Class Hero compilations! :)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

wingsman

• Getting Better
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 04:13:10 PM »

Yes, I guess that's the best choice. Or maybe two editions, the first with only one CD of hits, and the other with two CD's: Hits and History.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 09:40:31 PM »

I like that idea. There are several George CDs that I play end to end; I wouldn't want to skip anything. So the list of songs I like is quite large. I don't care for a lot of his mid-seventies stuff; I think he was wise to pack it in when he did (although I'm tremendously grateful for Gone Troppo; I think people don't even listen to this album, they just decide that because it wasn't promoted it must not have been any good.) Anyway, he made a great comeback with Cloud 9. I wish he could have brought out Brainwashed in his lifetime; it's a super album. But he was way past caring about any kind of commercial success by then. Just walking around, being peaceful.

Buttmunker

• Getting Better
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 11:27:04 PM »

Quote from: 551
* Beware of Darkness

What's funny is that I heard this song for the first time ever, and while the music was quite beautiful, I couldn't really understand/hear what he was singing.  The vocals were poorly produced.  

wingsman

• Getting Better
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2007, 12:10:29 AM »

Quote from: 828

What's funny is that I heard this song for the first time ever, and while the music was quite beautiful, I couldn't really understand/hear what he was singing.  The vocals were poorly produced.  

Yeah. That's true. When I bought the 2001 edition of All Things Must Pass, I remember I thought - 'So, this is the remaster?' That album sounds quite bad, I don't know why. A part of that album was recorded in Abbey Road, a studio with state-of-the-art quality of recordings, so is a little rare because the album sounds a little dirty. And yes, his voice is not clear at all in most of the songs. Of course it gives to the album a special atmosphere, but it sounds terrible comparing to 'Imagine', for example.

dbone828

• A Beginning
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2008, 06:26:48 AM »

wingspan, I love your track listing suggestion.  It is easily one of the best I have seen from a fan of George's music.  I love the opening of his signature "My Sweet Lord," and I personally have thought that "All Things Must Pass" would make the perfect closer to a greatest hits album, despite it throwing off any potential chronological listing.  Well forget about chronology! This makes it more interesting.  I'm still undecided about whether or not I would want Traveling Wilburys songs on a compilation, but I don't think it would hurt (but then when I see "Handle with Care" on a suggestion list, I can't help but wonder "why not 'End of the Line' as well?").  I am very happy to see your inclusion of "This Is Love," "Isn't It a Pity," and the aforementioned "All Things Must Pass"...songs I always include in any Harrison mix I concoct.  I would be quite disappointed if any one of these songs were left off any future career-spanning compilation they decide to put out.  Even though you did already excuse yourself for including "True Love" due to time limitations, I think it would actually be better to ax that song and leave the empty 3 minutes of space.  The only song I really feel you should have included that you didn't was George's U.K. top 40 hit single and Grammy-nominated "Any Road."  I would definitely keep "Stuck Inside a Cloud" on the track listing (again, I'm glad you put that on there), but I think "Any Road" should also be on there.  Some fans might miss the now-out-of-print "Cheer Down," however, I've always been on the fence about including that on a new best-of set, so I'm not too bothered that you left that one off.  "Horse to the Water" would also make a nice inclusion as, from what I've read, it is his last recorded song, made a little dent on the radio, and it is also unavailable on any George Harrison release.

However, "Wake Up My Love" and/or "Ding Dong Ding Dong" (or dare I say "Isn't It a Pity," "All Things Must Pass," "This Is Love") may end up being casualties if songs like "Cheer Down" and "Horse to the Water" are included.

Now I know that including "Any Road" in place of "True Love" would push the running time over 80 minutes, but here is a possible solution that may cause a lot of controversy among Harrison fans: Edit down "Isn't It a Pity" to 6 minutes.  Try it out.  At the six minutes mark, begin to slowly fade out the music, and nothing sounds out of place.

Lennon Legend's "Mother" was an edit, Wingspan's "With a Little Luck" and "Junior's Farm" were also edited versions.

Just at a curiosity, which song would you have included in place of "True Love" had time not been an issue?

Oh, and I also think the idea of simultaneously releasing a 1- and 2-disc version of a new Best Of would be a good idea.  Perhaps throw in a few songs like "Flying Hour" and "Sat Singing" onto disc 2.  And perhaps that would be the best place for "Cheer Down" and "Horse to the Water."

dbone828

• A Beginning
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2008, 06:38:39 AM »

Also, at a curiosity, what would your track listing be for a Disc 2?  I'm really impressed with your selections for the 1-disc version of George Harrison, as well as your suggestion for a 2-disc Paul McCartney compilation.

Page created in 0.252 seconds with 63 queries.