Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Liberals VS. Conservatives (opinion)  (Read 2887 times)

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
Re: Liberals VS. Conservatives (opinion)
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2005, 10:31:04 PM »

But many influential leaders such as Gandhi and Martin Luther King had such strong religious convictions which were the starting off point for their political beliefs.
Of course with today's society many people aren't religious, so I can see where you're coming from. What with Bush and all.

This reminds me of a Woody Allen quote: "If Jesus came back today and saw what people were doing in his name, he'd throw up."
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
  • Insanity is just a state of mind
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2005, 11:01:04 PM »

yea, and they are praised for what they did to help humanity, not for being a religious nut. its those fundamentals, that want to make bible law even for non believers. see now i dont care if they were doing it for their family...or cult, its just not something that in this so called "land of the free, home of the brave" that we should deal with. either all religions are accepted to help govern peoples morals or none of them. which works out cause either they all eventually cancel eachother out or none want to share christian morals with say...that of a jewish person or that of a muslim.

humanity is both loving and complete jackasses at the same time
«if asking, begging and pleading doesn't work, always go with a song and dance number.» ;D
In need of a computer? visit Coughlin Computers http://coughlincomputers.tripod.com

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2005, 09:40:50 AM »

Quote from: somedude210
yea, and they are praised for what they did to help humanity, not for being a religious nut. /quote]

And so it is for the vast majority of religious people. Fanatics of any ilk, with their extremism and intolerance, are dangerous.
Interesting that "clear minded" scientists have been responsible for misery, death and destruction on an awesome scale. No call to ban science? And Hitler, Stalin and Mao, the greatest mass murdrers of all time, all non-religious (though thet simply replaced it with cults of their own.) Not a very good advert for non-religious people are they?
It's humanity, not religion, that causes the problems.
don't follow leaders

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2005, 07:37:31 PM »

yea, and they are praised for what they did to help humanity, not for being a religious nut. its those fundamentals, that want to make bible law even for non believers. see now i dont care if they were doing it for their family...or cult, its just not something that in this so called "land of the free, home of the brave" that we should deal with. either all religions are accepted to help govern peoples morals or none of them. which works out cause either they all eventually cancel eachother out or none want to share christian morals with say...that of a jewish person or that of a muslim.

humanity is both loving and complete jackasses at the same time

I believe they are also praised for their strong beliefs and convictions and used their religion to guide them. Listen to them speak. People who want to take God out of everywhere are just as annoying. They're pushing their beliefs on people too. Not to be able to say the Pledge or put up Christmas decorations and so on. Like what are they afraid of? Some kid might be brainwashed into believing in God because he saw some tinsel?

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2005, 08:01:38 PM »

im not saying that at all, im saying that those that are politicians should not need to worry about what religion they are. religion has nothing to do with how good a person is to humanity. yes in some people it is, but its not just religious people that can do good. remember for some of you, when JFK ran for president and there was like mass hysteria in the government cause he was catholic? doesnt that strike some of you as stupidity that just by being catholic, its like being shuned.

thats what ive been trying to say the entire time, religion should not be playing a big part in such things as politics, like the christmas thing, thats just f*cking stupid. what would happen if you had a ghandi and they were running for say, president. would it really matter if he was muslim, or jewish, or aethist? to many americans, yes it does. and thats the whole problem. we care too much about how much religion we want in our lives and that blurs some of us to helping the rest of humanity...because they are a different f*cking religion!!

im not saying that those that want religion completely gone in life is right either. we do need religion, but if anything, it should be downplayed in the way government works. it should be the leader's mind that makes the decision, not "what would jesus/god/mohammad/buddha do?"
«if asking, begging and pleading doesn't work, always go with a song and dance number.» ;D
In need of a computer? visit Coughlin Computers http://coughlincomputers.tripod.com

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2005, 02:15:02 AM »

Dude, you just have to accept that religion is a big part of some people's lives, for better or for worse. Politicians and regular people.

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2005, 02:21:06 AM »

yea, i know...but it just seems so f*cking stupid that they would let religion get in the way of helping others that need it.

oh what a wacky world we live in.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2005, 09:19:13 AM »

thats what ive been trying to say the entire time, religion should not be playing a big part in such things as politics, like the christmas thing, thats just f*cking stupid. what would happen if you had a ghandi and they were running for say, president. would it really matter if he was muslim, or jewish, or aethist? to many americans, yes it does.

But religion is one of the things that affects how we see the world, therefore a religious person in a position of power is able to impose his views on others. So yes, their religion should matter (in so much as it affects their policies), as should all their other views and beliefs. That's not stupid, its logical. If a democratic society doesn't want a leader whose policies are effected by his religious views they don't vote for them. If they want someone who does they do. It's really simple.
And should it really matter if a president was gay, hispanic or black. No, but to many Americans it does. Many people (maybe your self
don't follow leaders

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2005, 02:39:30 PM »

yea, i know...but it just seems so f*cking stupid that they would let religion get in the way of helping others that need it.

oh what a wacky world we live in.

Isn't that what you're doing right now? Letting the fact that a political figure is religious get in the way of respecting theM? Hmmm?

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2005, 02:39:52 PM »

And please don't start Catholic bashing, don't even START.

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2005, 08:17:05 PM »

Quote from: kevin_b

And should it really matter if a president was gay, hispanic or black. No, but to many Americans it does. Many people (maybe your self  :)) can't handle people who are different, for whatever reason. Again you blame religion for our own failings.

wtf, i like difference in people. but i dont think that we should hate people because they go against our religion. so you're gay, big flippin deal. i dont understand why something like being gay would make people disown their own children...all because it goes against their religion? um...am i wrong or did it not say in the bible "to love your fellow man". and are they not humans too? are blacks and hispanics and asians and arabs? so using the same bible that has caused so much discrimination in history, can you not say that you are also all damned to hell for going against God's will?

sorry. im a catholic so i do have a little bit of knowledge of what it says.;D

as for the catholic bashing...i too am catholic, and catholics are like the odd christians because they are probably one of the only christian group that ranges from extreme conservative to extreme liberal

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2005, 09:15:25 AM »

Ok. Last post on this.
The vast majority of religious people don't hate others of a different religion. Non religious people can be as anti-gay as religious people, as they can be racsist or whatever. Godless skinheads are more likely to kick a gay mans head in than some "bible basher."Religion does not have a monopoly on ignorance or hate. Nazi Germany, Mao's China and Stalins Russia were all godless societies.
In my travels, I've seen religion in Croatia and Poland, India, Egypt, The Vatican, Thailand, Vanuaatu to name a few, and even to a godless soul like myself it is evident that religion gives a lot of people strength, hope and a sense of belonging. Forget not that all our the moral codes that bind our societies had their birth in religion. It obviously serves a purpose. You cannot then divorce it from the rest of life.
Religion does have its nuts, but so does everything else. You focus on the negative only.
Religion is a reflection of human society, not a counter to it. You can't just switch it off when it suits.
ps - didn't mean to insult you earlier. Sorry bout that.
don't follow leaders
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.676 seconds with 59 queries.