Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: I would just like to say....  (Read 2367 times)

Benreturns

• A Beginning
I would just like to say....
« on: November 02, 2005, 11:54:28 PM »

Ive just listened to Strawberry Fields Forever about 5 times in a row. I cannot get over this tune. Ive even listened to the left and right stero channels at a time to listen to each part induvidually. Totally tripped out on this tune. How did they DO that!??!

There are so many little bits and bobs in this song it has to be one of the best arrangments ever. The Unison Cellos are scored to perfection by George Martin and so are the Trumpets. On the left channel the drumming is fantastic and so are the backward cymbals. And the way the take is slowed down a step and Johns voice just pulls you in... "cause im GooOOOIIINNG to...." on the edit between the takes.

Thanks for listening, im all better now...
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

raxo

• Sun King
Re: I would just like to say....
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 11:59:56 PM »

He He, are you OK now, mate?

ma_tt2

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2005, 01:11:06 AM »

I really like Ringo's solo on the anthology version, I used to be obsessed with this song. Cant blame you for listening to it that many times

Mendips

• Getting Better
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2005, 11:55:53 AM »

In the Playboy interviews didn't John express that he wasn't happy with the final result and said something to the effect of he could redo all the old songs because they could all use it?
John: You're just a lonely old man from Liverpool.
Grandfather: But I'm clean!
John: Are ya?

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2005, 12:37:22 PM »

Quote from: Mendips
In the Playboy interviews didn't John express that he wasn't happy with the final result and said something to the effect of he could redo all the old songs because they could all use it?

If I remember rightly, John wasn't happy about anything in those interviews   >:(
don't follow leaders

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2005, 03:22:17 PM »

Quote from: kevin_b

If I remember rightly, John wasn't happy about anything in those interviews

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2005, 06:49:18 PM »

yeah lol, least of all paul, and his new single..i cant believe it really..it seams that when you read/listen to those interviews theyre like john tried to deny that he even had a beatle past and that its/was all a dream or fad or something lol, it seems like he doesnt make a big deal and didnt think they were important at all and that bassickly the only decent thing they did at all was a day in the life or something ..hehe if you can understand that

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2005, 07:24:15 PM »

Quote from: ma_tt2
I really like Ringo's solo on the anthology version, I used to be obsessed with this song. Cant blame you for listening to it that many times

It's a great drum solo, IMO better than the one on Abbey Road. It's certainly a song that gets into your mind.
All You Need Is LOVE!

Benreturns

• A Beginning
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2005, 11:41:06 PM »

In George Martins book 'Summer of Love - Recording of Sgt Pepper' George states he was having coffee with John in the Dakota and John claimed to him hed love to re-record all the Beatles tunes over again. George asked - 'what - even Strawberry Fields Forever?' and John replied - "Especially Strawberry Fields Forever!"
John was always a bit of an idealist!

I think when he was giving those early 70's post Beatles interviews he was trying to loose the tag or prove something (i dont know what) that meant he talked little or talked offhand and dismissive of the Beatles output. Later interviews (especially before he died) I think he sounds quite fond of some things they did.

Anyways... yes Im fine now I just spazzed out on that tune for a bit last night. Must have been the wine :P Im going to record that tune myself in my studio and see how well i can copy it. Should be fun and will make a nice change from recording my own demos!

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2005, 10:30:05 AM »

I'd just like to say...rather than start a new thread on it...

It would have been nice if Octopus's Garden could have been a single. So Ringo could have got more cred for being a good songwriter. If someone writes only one great song, that's still proof that they can write great music!

Also, checking DM info on singles, I noticed this single release:

The Beatles Movie Medley / I'm Happy Just to Dance With You    1982 March 22  

I've never heard of this before. Has anyone got a boot of this medley? I missed some of Bobber's later period bootlegs, so I don't know if it's on any of them.
All You Need Is LOVE!

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2005, 10:48:33 AM »

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.
Octupus Garden a single? Go to your room!
The greatest rock and roll band reduced to a novelty act, songs to be played alongside Lilly The pink or Snoopys Christmas.
If I hung out with Paul and John for 10 years I bet I could write one good song. (and IMO (I hate having to say that) OG sucks as an album track, and anyway is just as much a George song.
Have you seen the scene in Let It Be, when Paul and John walk in on
don't follow leaders

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2005, 11:49:35 AM »

Quote from: Benreturns
I think when he was giving those early 70's post Beatles interviews he was trying to loose the tag or prove something (i dont know what) that meant he talked little or talked offhand and dismissive of the Beatles output. Later interviews (especially before he died) I think he sounds quite fond of some things they did.

I would like to think age had mellowed him. But as someone pointed out in an earlier thread  it might have had more to do with the fact that he had a new record to flog.
don't follow leaders

Bobber

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2005, 12:30:09 PM »

Quote from: GreenApple
Also, checking DM info on singles, I noticed this single release:

The Beatles Movie Medley / I'm Happy Just to Dance With You

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2005, 03:44:59 PM »

I already got it but it's good listenning to it again. Amazing.

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2005, 04:45:33 PM »

Thanks Bobber! I love it! Respect!  :)  :)  :)

(rainbow1)

(thumbsup)
All You Need Is LOVE!

GreenApple

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2005, 04:55:19 PM »

They're all John/Macca songs...hmmmm....but, NOT COMPLAINING! I wonder if this was released in the aftermath of Lennon's sad death. 1982, not so long afterwards as a kind of tribute perhaps. Pity the B-side wasn't something similar again!

This will grace one of my home Beatles' compilations, as the final 'afterthought' 'reflection' track, after the final piano chord has entirely faded (Anthology's The End). I know some family members will appreciate it too.
All You Need Is LOVE!

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2008, 07:37:38 PM »

Quote from: 214

Same here! i love how the drums go crazy :P

Page created in 0.4 seconds with 68 queries.