Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: The Reason Why Sgt. Pepper Was?  (Read 2019 times)

apple sauce

• Getting Better
The Reason Why Sgt. Pepper Was?
« on: September 20, 2006, 02:53:13 AM »

It has often been noted that the hardest group the "Beatles" had to compete with was in fact their own. They had been set up by the press and fans alike that each Lp was rated against those that had gone before it. So we have the Beatles going into the studio with this concept of taking on a new persona if you will. To the point of highlighting the four forlorne mop tops standing beside the grave with the Beatles spelt out in a floral arrangement. This led to their morfing into this new brightly coloured pshycedellic quartet! Different hair styles with mustaches also gave them a different look. So visually the band changed and to complete this change their music also took a giant leap! I feel they surrendered their pop music style and became a band that made music for the ages with the songs on Sgt. Pepper. They dictated a cultural shift with this Lp and their style of dress. The press declared them bankrupt of ideas prior to the lps release and we in North America stood in awe of the two songs that were brought out prior to Sgt. Pepper. Penny Lane along with Strawberry Fields gave us a small glimpse of what the Beatles had been up to! Upon Sgt. Pepper's release it was declared a stunning piece of work and was talked about by not just people in the music world, but more importantly people in the art world! The "Beatles" had blended their music and art to give the world something to talk about for decades to come and that is why Sgt. Pepper is the Beatles greatest record and prehaps the greatest record of our time.

BigMachine

• One And One Is Two
Re: The Reason Why Sgt. Pepper Was?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 02:44:28 AM »

It's very creative, inside and out. (out, meaning the cover art)
Another great forum for music fans... [glow=red]Paradise City[/glow]

Dark Phoenyx

• Getting Better
  • Paul Mc Cartney is the true bass god!
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 06:46:58 PM »

I think Sgt. Pepper's was a gigant step in the way records should be made.  It also symbolized the metamorphosis of a band and showed a way how artists shoud re-invent themselves.  It was a complete transformation that goes beyond changes in physical appearance. Actually I believe that transition began with Rubber Soul & Revolver, where individual musical styles began to surface.  
<br /><br />The warlus was Paul...   8)

The Swine

• Getting Better
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 08:32:04 PM »

a bit neglected these days and thats a pity. it deserves better than that.
THE INTERNET IS NOT A PLACE FOR 13 YEAR OLDS

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 09:30:39 PM »

Quote from: 766
I think Sgt. Pepper's was a gigant step in the way records should be made.  It also symbolized the metamorphosis of a band and showed a way how artists shoud re-invent themselves.  

Maybe certain artist like Bowie were taking notes from the beatles with the re-invent thing.
You could be onto something here Dark Phoenyx :) Interesting :D

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

Dark Phoenyx

• Getting Better
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 11:54:32 PM »

Maybe I'm biased but for me The Beatles invented almost everything other performers did after them.... Videos, hard rock, influences from other cultures, which is evident with the use of the sitar in some songs, etc.   They set the stage for the others that came behind.... So that's why I try not to compare other bands with them....

Pasta Cheif

• Getting Better
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2007, 02:28:58 AM »

I think that if Strawberry Fields Forever and Penny Lane had been used for the album, as was originally intended, this album would have been even stronger among the Beatles best works.
   I know they didn't like to use singles onto albums, but those 2 songs wound up on the Magical Mystery Tour album anyway.
&quot;Dont take life seriously, you'll never get out of it alive&quot;

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 12:51:57 PM »

Quote from: 766
Maybe I'm biased but for me The Beatles invented almost everything other performers did after them.... Videos, hard rock, influences from other cultures, which is evident with the use of the sitar in some songs, etc.   They set the stage for the others that came behind.... So that's why I try not to compare other bands with them....

Hello Dark Phoenix. I think you and I are going to have some fun discussions.
I struggle to think of any Beatle songs where I can't provide another artist who influenced or inspired them, or that wasn't part of a trend that other artists weren't engaged in at the same time.
Hard Rock: The Who "I Can See For Miles" (1967) Macca said it inspired him to write Helter Skelter.
Other Cultures: The Byrds "Eight Miles High/Why" (1965) used Indian rhythms before George.
Pyschedelia: Mothers Of Invention "Freak Out." (1966) John said Pepper was their version of this album.
don't follow leaders

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2007, 01:28:52 PM »

Quote from: 761
I think that if Strawberry Fields Forever and Penny Lane had been used for the album, as was originally intended, this album would have been even stronger among the Beatles best works.
   I know they didn't like to use singles onto albums, but those 2 songs wound up on the Magical Mystery Tour album anyway.

Remember though MMT was a US compilation album, not avaliable in the UK (until the mid 70's.) Until the release of the Red and Blues (73?) the only way to own PL/SFF in the UK was by buying the single.
don't follow leaders

Dark Phoenyx

• Getting Better
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007, 06:42:00 PM »

Quote from: 185

Hello Dark Phoenix. I think you and I are going to have some fun discussions.
I struggle to think of any Beatle songs where I can't provide another artist who influenced or inspired them, or that wasn't part of a trend that other artists weren't engaged in at the same time.
Hard Rock: The Who "I Can See For Miles" (1967) Macca said it inspired him to write Helter Skelter.
Other Cultures: The Byrds "Eight Miles High/Why" (1965) used Indian rhythms before George.
Pyschedelia: Mothers Of Invention "Freak Out." (1966) John said Pepper was their version of this album.

Well, actually I haven't heard those songs but maybe because The Beatles became so popular, people emphazised more on their work, but as I said in my pevious post, maybe I'm biased.  The sixties was a period were artists were very receptive to experiment with different things and that's why that period in the history of popular music is so fascinating; contrary to most current artists who stick to a simple beat and don't dare to experiment further.   That's why we have that fabulous music by The Beatles and other artists of the time.

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 65 queries.