Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beatle Bums - if not for music ...  (Read 1176 times)

Buttmunker

• Getting Better
Beatle Bums - if not for music ...
« on: October 23, 2007, 12:48:09 PM »

I found it funny when reading Beatles biographies how George Harrison, at 15, was ganging around with John Lennon and Paul McCartney instead of going to school.  

Paul McCartney failed all of his courses, couldn't do school work; pretty much the same with Lennon - had no interest in finishing school (although I'm a little unclear about the Art School he went to - was that high school for him, or college?  I think its high school, and neither Lennon or McCartney made it through).

They put all their eggs in one basket, and gambled the whole lot on music being their course of destiny.

But what if they didn't make it?  What if Brian Epstein hadn't been there to push for them?  If he hadn't been there, would another type of Epstein have filled in?  Maybe.  Maybe not.  

If they didn't make it, I suppose the boys would have gone to work at the docks or the factories to make their daily bread, aye?

BlueMeanie

Re: Beatle Bums - if not for music ...
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 12:59:43 PM »

Lennon went to a Grammar School, which meant that he was of above average intelligence.

In Britain college's are pretty much the same as Universities, in fact I think they're all called Universities now. You can usually get into an Art College a little younger than a University, the only valid requirement being that you're good at art. Britain doesn't really have a High School system like The US.

I think he could have made a decent career in advertising if he hadn't been a musician. He certainly had the imagination for it.

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 04:54:33 PM »

Quote from: 828
I found it funny when reading Beatles biographies how George Harrison, at 15, was ganging around with John Lennon and Paul McCartney instead of going to school.  

Paul McCartney failed all of his courses, couldn't do school work; pretty much the same with Lennon - had no interest in finishing school (although I'm a little unclear about the Art School he went to - was that high school for him, or college?  I think its high school, and neither Lennon or McCartney made it through).

They put all their eggs in one basket, and gambled the whole lot on music being their course of destiny.

But what if they didn't make it?  What if Brian Epstein hadn't been there to push for them?  If he hadn't been there, would another type of Epstein have filled in?  Maybe.  Maybe not.  

If they didn't make it, I suppose the boys would have gone to work at the docks or the factories to make their daily bread, aye?

Yeah, they did seem to put all their eggs in that basket. Lucky for us it worked out for them!

John apparently got a job at the docks, or actually a factory, after their depressing exit from Hamburg. Was fired within a few weeks, with the notation ... "Unsuitable for employment". I don't think he would have wound up well, would never have done the kneepads and stroking of the boss thing that is needed.

Funny you mention "their daily bread". Pete Best found employment in a bakery after being canned by the Beatles. Someone on these forums has wittily pointed out that this means JPGR weren't the only ones rolling in the dough!
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 05:56:52 PM »

i think theres a difference though maybe they failed because they never applied themselves to school work rather than just failed due to not being good enough, i don't think any of the Beatles were Einsteins but im pretty sure they could have passed if they had applied themselves more ?

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 02:43:20 AM »

I am certain they could have done well, as they were plenty smart. Paul and George got into their school because of their high marks on the entrance tests-- they could not have afforded it otherwise. This means an IQ of at least 115, based on other students who passed the exam with that score (and yes, I have forgotten where I read that!).

However, in not getting along with the educational system, they were exactly like Einstein. From Wikipedia:
Albert clashed with authorities and resented the school regimen. He later wrote that the spirit of learning and creative thought were lost in strict rote learning.
The same entry notes that Einstein flunked the entrance examination to the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich at age 16. He did all right with his life despite that setback. :)

George in particular hated the school regimen, although he turned into an ardent scholar in his twenties once he was free to pursue his own course. All the Beatles (except Ringo, who never learned properly) were big readers throughout their lives, as more than one biographer has noted.

I'm sincerely glad they succeeded in music, because I think they would have been bitter and miserable at a fulltime job. Some of us can make the adjustment. I don't think John ever would have.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 03:46:50 PM »

I know for certain George would've been an electrician..he spoke of this once. Ringo would've been the next Vidal Sasoon (lol)...as for John..maybe he'd be a novelist & graphic artist and social reformer (in the dickensian sense) as for Paul...he'd probably be an actor on the London stage or a world class gigilo  ;D(because of his looks, not on account of his average acting "chops"--Ringo was the BEST actor of the Fab)

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007, 10:52:20 PM »

i reckon Paul would have been a music teacher... John would get into trouble before deciding what to do with his future, George ,i agree - electrician all the "its not my fault i come from a long line of electricians" as for Ringo, he'd find something in the USA...

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 10:56:12 PM »

I can't even IMAGINE what the Stones would be if not for music... ;D ;D

CleanOldMan

• A Beginning
    • My Last.fm profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2007, 05:39:18 AM »

Probably isn't true, don't know, but I read somewhere that Paul was going to be a teacher had he not been with the Beatles.

Page created in 0.882 seconds with 59 queries.