Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Blatant Revisionism of Beatles History !!!  (Read 6074 times)

eroz0

• A Beginning
Re: Blatant Revisionism of Beatles History !!!
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2009, 12:57:52 PM »

I don't think it's been "derailed", eroz.  I just think the people who don't think this is a topic worthy of discussion should not bother to read the thread.
Well, how about getting back on track (even if we are not derailed). I remember that May mentioned in an interview that John was seriously thinking joining Paul in New Orleans and there was some proof of that, a letter? a postcard? Anyone know which interview I'm talking about?

cassNJ

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2009, 01:09:53 PM »

I guess you mean this one:

At first when [May] Pang told people about Lennon's plans -- after he'd left her -- no one believed it. "But then something happened," she said. "Derek Taylor, The Beatles' publicist, showed me a postcard he'd gotten from John in England. It said, "Going to New Orleans to see Paul." And that was it. That was the proof."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,317539,00.html

As you can see, it's from Roger Friedman, but still!

I never knew May hung out with the rest of the Beatles.  I did hear about her being invited to Linda's funeral, though, and that was apparently reserved for only close friends (Yoko wasn't invited).

But I can add that a couple of Beatles researchers I've talked to said they had spoken with May Pang, and they had nothing but kind words for her.

nyfan(41)

• Getting Better
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2009, 03:35:44 PM »

regarding linda, let me clarify my statements
the last thing i'm trying to do is attack her but like an idiot i've gone and done that in response to someone contrasting her to may pang on some sort of 'sexual morals' criteria
"groupie" is a word that was often assigned to linda eastman - (as i said, even on wikipedia and in quite a few beatle books) and she by many accounts used to have affairs with alot of rock stars, eric burden, stephen stills, whatever

do i personally think of her as a groupie along the lines of pamela debarres etc from the assorted beatles hearsay? - not in the least

but honestly i think her photos were 'ok' - the best thing about her photos were the subject . . .  and that they were taken in informal settings.  i believe she was allowed to get 'up close and personal' to take those rockstar photos at parties etc partially because of her looks. that's how many accounts depict it and, bluntly, it makes sense. i think she was also an intelligent shrewd girl with a good personality who was a decent photographer

and for the comment that don't i believe a woman can succeed by talent - my favorite photographer is diane arbus.
to me though, the most notable part of linda's photos were that they were pictures of rockstars

by the way, regarding the gender double standard that was alluded to, if a male photographer dated and slept with the people he photographed wouldn't that be thought of as unprofessional?
but i guess alot of them probably did it back then - and further more, journalism was/is a real 'boys club' so linda must have had all that to deal with
--------------------

anyway, i like linda alot . . . and i like may pang too

(can i borrow a shovel to dig myself out of this?) :-X

what i'm really trying to say is may's not a w***e - she's a normal human being like anyone

nyfan(41)

• Getting Better
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2009, 03:39:08 PM »

. . .  but then, I don't believe anyone 100% when it comes to Beatles history.  Everyone who "knows for sure" what happened is often just guessing, or conveniently ignoring other evidence.

^^^^ ;yes ^^^^  ( that's the best thing i've read on this site!)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2009, 04:15:28 PM »

Alright. I never thought I'd see the day when we'd be debating "Linda and May - who was the bigger whore." I guess it makes a change from the normal "Heather or Yoko - who was the biggest b****."

I have to take exception to the statement that this must be of interest to me. My interest about all of them pretty much ends in May 1970. May Pang is about as relevant to my interest in The Beatles as Wings. But you guys go nuts.
don't follow leaders

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2009, 05:06:57 PM »

About Linda, she wasn't a groupie, in my opinion.  Don't you think there's a difference between women whose only goal it is to sleep with rock stars, and a photographer who ends up having affairs with the rock stars she photographs?  I don't think she used photography as a "cover" because she was actually working for magazines, and her work, if you look at it objectively, is good.

QFT! I totally agree with this.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

cassNJ

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2009, 07:43:34 PM »

Hey, nyfan, I knew you weren't seriously calling Linda a groupie, but you'd be surprised how many times I've seen her called that.  I guess I'll have to try harder not to sound like I'm attacking anyone.  And I agree with what you said about women and photography (and Diane Arbus was an awesome photographer!)  Certainly Linda wasn't in her class but she didn't claim to be.   And yeah, there's a double-standard when a female photographer can sleep with her clients but a male photographer would be seen as being mercenary for doing the same thing.  But really, how many women would have passed up the opportunity to sleep with Mick Jagger, Jim Morrison, and Paul McCartney back then? 

Kevin, I understand why you're not interested in anything post-Beatles.  That was their heyday, and none of their solo careers reached those heights (in my humble opinion).  If I was only interested in the music, I might feel the same way, although honestly I do like some of their solo efforts too, even if they never achieved the height of their work as Beatles.  I'm also interested in them (particularly John and Paul) as people, though, and their lives didn't end on Apr 10, 1970.  But there's plenty of room for both kinds of fans, right? :)

nyfan(41)

• Getting Better
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2009, 08:48:07 PM »

so justin - what happened for you? you just delete all your posts in the dark of night like a scorned person?

it looks like you got all sensi-wensi (sensitive) . . . . and then you got all menti-wenti (mental) . . .

. . . and just went so POOF and vanished  ha2ha

---------------------------------------------
- i won't lie, that's kind of selfish because people online could have read those posts in the future and learned something from them

but that is one clean break you've made so, good luck to you brother and thanks for the lively debates. peace  :)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2009, 01:20:45 AM »

Goodbye Everyone.

easy... Justin  :)

Later

Yovra

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2009, 08:10:07 AM »

I've just finished the excellent "You Never Give Me Your Money" by Peter Doggett.
There were always 'revisions' happening and when the years ar going by, it's going to get worse; the key players aren't there anymore or memories are getting vague and filled in with things that 'fit'.
In the book it seems to me that the troubled relations between the Beatles post 1970 and the troubled relation of Lennon with, well, the outside world in general makes it impossible to have a 'objective' account of what was going on exactly. And with who. And why.
One of the 'revisions' was that Lennon has spent his 'silence' from '75 to '80 baking bread and taking care of Sean. So Lennon was a revisionist, McCartney started colouring his role in the band with "Many Years From Now", Yoko sees things her way...
The best account so far of the 'lost weekend' (and I think Doggett's is the best I've read) will never come from mrs. Pang, Ono or anyone involved, but from outsiders.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2009, 10:16:12 AM »

The best account so far of the 'lost weekend' (and I think Doggett's is the best I've read) will never come from mrs. Pang, Ono or anyone involved, but from outsiders.
Damn right. Well said.
don't follow leaders
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Page created in 0.692 seconds with 61 queries.