Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Singles - Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields.  (Read 5585 times)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
Re: Singles - Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields.
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2010, 04:25:25 PM »

The chart situations were different in the UK and the US in the 60s (not sure if the US is still the same today) - in the UK a single only got one entry in the chart, whereas both sides of a single were given chart placings in the US.

I think you're right. Apparently in the US double A's were released with each side aimed at a different market.
What I don't understand about the US/Yellow Submarine thing is how did they work out the different sales? People bought one piece of vinyl right? And charts are based on sales? How did they (the chart people) know what side was being bought?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 04:27:57 PM by Kevin »
don't follow leaders

nyfan(41)

• Getting Better
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2010, 10:26:02 PM »

" . . . yeah yeah . . you'll both get A sides . . . huh? . . who gets the apple-skin A side and who gets the apple-core A side? . . . i'll tell you what, let's flip a coin! "   ha2ha

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2010, 06:48:11 PM »

"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Sir John Johns

• A Beginning
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2010, 04:54:50 PM »

The Double ''A" side was based on radio airplay, not sales. If both sides of a single received similar airplay they were designataed such.

on topic - I fell in love with SFF when I was a small boy in short trousers, I will love it the day they close my coffin lid. Total perfection, the dreamy/druggy type feel conjures the trippy/dreamy type imagary of trying to recapture youth.  :)

And charts are based on sales? How did they (the chart people) know what side was being bought?
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 46 queries.