Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Kingsway Club Burns Down in Southport  (Read 966 times)

I am the Paulrus

• Getting Better
    • FAB 4 FORUM
Kingsway Club Burns Down in Southport
« on: September 11, 2010, 01:23:02 AM »

Kingsway Club Burns Down in Southport

Club where Ringo made Beatles debut

September 7, 2010

http://www.rttnews.com/Content/EntertainmentNews.aspx?Section=2&Id=1411499&SM=1

The Kingsway Club in its heyday.

The Kingsway Club, one of the first venues to host a Beatles lineup that featured Ringo Starr, was destroyed by fire on Monday night. According to local media, the fire was so bad that it took seven fire engines and two aerial units, along with the pouring rain, to bring the raging fire under control.

Fire service watch manager Peter Owens told the Southport Echo that the three-story venue suffered from a "severe fire" and that the "building has partially collapsed and there [was] another building threatened."

The fire was spotted late at night and burned into the early morning hours, when a rain storm finally helped bring the flames under control. A large crowd gathered to watch the once-important venue slowly burn to the ground.

Built in 1931 the Kingsway hosted performances by Cilla Black, Tom Jones, and according to local legend the first performance of The Beatles’s classic line up.

Ringo Starr is said to have taken over the drums from a sick Pete Best there in the early 60s.

It fell into disrepair in recent years with several redevelopment plans coming to nothing.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Casbah

• A Beginning
Re: Kingsway Club Burns Down in Southport
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 04:48:28 AM »

What a shame. Thanks for the post.
"Someone told me a few minutes ago they saw John walking on the street once wearing a button saying "I Love Paul." And this girl said she asked him, "Why are you wearing a button that says ' I Love Paul'? He said "Because I love Paul."

Page created in 0.544 seconds with 41 queries.