Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: What bands or artists do you think John would of liked if he was still here?  (Read 9077 times)

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem

they play that song all the time at my place of work. I am assuming they are white, because it is terrible.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me

Amy Winehouse is a very interesting suggestion. He would like her!

I can see John making fun of Amy, but I feel that he would like her music too. Her sound is very reminiscent of the 1960's girl groups and he loved them.

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me

Back on topic, I think that John might have liked Lily Allen. Her songs have a bit more structure than a lot of pop, and she can be political at times. I'd say the title of her most political song, but I don't want to offend anyone.

I think John would've gotten a huge kick out of Lily Allen. She's offensive, but God, she's so funny. BTW, I know which song you're talking about and it's hilarious. You can probably say the name of it here, we're a fairly liberal board.

Also, I can imagine John enjoying some punk music. "Polythene Pam" is very proto-punk to me...sooo...I dunno, maybe he would've liked the Buzzcocks or the Clash or something.

Mrs Lennon

• A Thousand Pages
  • Standing or Sitting When Not Lying Down

^ lol. I had to ask them what it was, so don't worry. It's just three oh three. I think they're trying to be cool and make their band name wierd. But they will never be as cool as The Beatles.

3OH!3 - Don't Trust Me Lyrics

^ Example of 3Oh!3. To get back on topic, this is something John wouldn't like  ;)

Haha, this song...I think my parents are fairly glad I like the Beatles! I like being out of it.  :D
Music is like candy; you throw away the rappers.

nyfan(41)

• Getting Better
Re: What bands or artists do you think John would of liked if he was still here?
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2009, 06:20:31 PM »

his is my first post. great topic!

i think alot of posters missed the mark on this. john lennon always had great contempt for any music he found derivative of his own. i'm sure he would hate oasis and coldplay

in numerous interviews later in his life lennon said that the reggae coming out of jamaica was what he found the most exciting and he named it as his favorite.
being in new york i think he would have kept his ear to that. great singers like dennis brown for example.
also, i'm sure he would be lured by the electronic jamaican dancehall explosion that dominated new york in the 80's - songs like 'under mi sleng teng' for example. jamaican dancehall was prolific, socially aware, humorous and 'of the people' with a massive talent base of creativity. overtalented singers like beres hammond, garnet silk . . . . and the dancehall 'rappers' who were groundbreaking. that sound was irresistable especially for a reggae fan/pothead like lennon

mostly, i feel lennon would have allied himself with hiphop as it started. early groups like grandmaster flash and the furious five . . even early run dmc - - remember- lennon basically predicted sampling with rev#9 and was quoted as saying everone would make music that way in the future because you didnt need to learn an instrument.
that innovative socially aware music from new york.........krs one (boogie down productions)....public enemy . . . .
- wasn't wordplay lennon's thing?
and lets be honest - since he was young john lennon idolized black american music. this question's easy

i also think he might have liked dominican bachatta with its beautiful spanish ballad style and -as far as new artists - he may have liked sade and norah jones. he is known to have been a big bing crosby fan at the end of his life.

i love threads like this. thanks

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
Re: What bands or artists do you think John would of liked if he was still here?
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2009, 06:34:32 PM »

Nice....your most welcome. :)
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

lockyfan

• One And One Is Two

Greenday.

Paul probably

Nickelback maybe.

both his sons possibly

P!NK

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Page created in 1.015 seconds with 54 queries.