Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: The George Album  (Read 2166 times)

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
The George Album
« on: June 29, 2007, 12:36:35 AM »

Too bad the Beatles never put out an album with 12 cuts written by George and two by Lennon/McCartney and 1 song sung by Ringo (maybe written by George).

This might have been a version of All Things Must Pass but with the Beatles playing on.  Maybe have some cuts from Let it Be sessions or b-sides, etc.  

I'd also have liked to hear more harmonies on more songs (be great if some of the songs from All Things Must Pass had Lennon and Macca on backups)--like on Hear Comes the Sun.  

I'm not sure about a Ringo album.  And I don't know if this would have saved the Beatles.  But Kiss did the right thing (at least commercially by selling four albums by each member rather than doing another album).

Anybody got any thoughts on this.  Track listing?  

Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Wayne L.

Re: The George Album
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 02:24:24 PM »

It probably would have been a good idea, after the release of Abbey Road, to release four solo albums similiar to what Kiss did.  I think all of the personal & professional tension between John & Paul would have stopped for awhile & George would have been happy creatively as well.  

Flaming Pie in the Sky

• A Thousand Pages
    • Gone Troppo
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 02:42:48 PM »

Quote from: 395
George would have been happy creatively as well.

It would've been good for George. And a nice change of pace.

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 03:22:40 PM »

Quote from: 395
It probably would have been a good idea, after the release of Abbey Road, to release four solo albums similiar to what Kiss did.  I think all of the personal & professional tension between John & Paul would have stopped for awhile & George would have been happy creatively as well.  

Maybe, but The Beatles would not have been believable anymore.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 03:27:55 PM »

Really nice idea. I think the Kiss solution is one of the better ideas I've heard for keeping the Beatles together longer. Individually focused albums would have allowed them to shine as individual composers but also take advantage of the familiarity of their fellow bandmembers. *gives DM forum a gold star*

Adamzero, I'd have to put more thought into a track listing. Some of my favorite George songs just don't seem to work for the Beatles. I heard a recording of them singing "Hear Me Lord" and I just shook my head; Paul and John (at least) were declared agnostics (I think John later moved into the atheist camp), and I just didn't believe what they were singing.  I'm probably prejudiced because I like George's first 2 solo albums so much, but after having heard the Beatles version of ATMP and HML, I'm really glad George found other musicians to back him for his album.

Edit: Posted the same time as TheMasterOfGoingFaster. I think he's saying the same thing as I am in my second paragraph, only he said it in one sentence. :)
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 03:41:26 PM »

I'm thinking they would just have been too competitive for this. It would have killed John if Paul's album had been regarded as better. If they could ever agree to such a thing (which considering the dynamics of the band I can't imagine) it's not unlikely that they would have been keener to sabotage each others efforts rather than cooperating.
don't follow leaders

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 03:46:52 PM »

Based on my knowledge, understanding, and interpretation of the prevailing evidence, I tentatively believe that all belief is agnostic...

I don't know what I'm talking about.

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 03:59:13 PM »

Quote from: 551
Edit: Posted the same time as TheMasterOfGoingFaster. I think he's saying the same thing as I am in my second paragraph, only he said it in one sentence. :)

I think you said the same thing in more understandable detail in one paragraph.

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 04:52:59 PM »

Quote from: 185
it's not unlikely that they would have been keener to sabotage each others efforts rather than cooperating.
Ouch. Could be. I really think, in retrospect, they just needed a break from each other. I've been reading Keith Badman's "The Beatles Off The Record Volume 2: The Dream Is Over". John and Paul would have been happy to reunite after the whole Klein thing got settled. Ringo and George were more holdouts, perhaps because they got used to doing their own thing. But by 1975 even George was saying he wouldn't mind if they recorded together again (I know, not a stunning endorsement, but still).

Paul tells a funny story after this $30 million reunion offer was made. He and John had some trouble connecting, and he finally gets John on the phone and says, "Yeah?" And John says, "What? You called me!" and Paul said, "No, you called ME first, I'm just returning it." So they nattered about this and that for an hour or so, and hung up the phone, all happy, and Paul is thinking, "Damn! There was something I was supposed to talk to John about. Wonder what it was?" He'd forgot about the $30 million offer. Which (Paul goes on to say) just showed how unimportant the money was to what the Beatles were. They had to get together because they wanted to do something musically, or it just wasn't going to happen.  
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2007, 09:05:41 PM »

Yes there would have needed to be a decent artistic reason for reuniting, the documentary was it.

Page created in 0.556 seconds with 59 queries.