Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: iPods, anyone?  (Read 988 times)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
iPods, anyone?
« on: October 01, 2006, 06:19:11 PM »

17 Weeks ago, I bought an iPod because I thought it would be a really cool thing to have, especially for on vacation.

4 Weeks later, while I was in Cuba, the thing just stopped working. It just didn't go on anymore, no matter what I tried.

So I brought it back to the store where I got it. They confirmed something was wrong with the software inside the thing or something like that, and told me iPods could only be repaired in the USA, so they had to send it there and it would take 3 to 6 weeks before I'd have my iPod back.

Three weeks later I drove to the store again (20 miles from where I live) and got my iPod. When I got home I found out it was still not working.

So I brought it back to the store again and said I wanted a new one. They said I'd get a new one, but they couldn't give me one from the store, they had to send my old one to the USA and wait until they'd send a new one.

So over three weeks later I got a new iPod. And this one also didn't work... The battery just doesn't load, so it only works while it's in the loader.

So I send an e-mail to the store and said I wanted another new one, but now from the store so that I didn't have to wait three weeks ago.

Two weeks later I finally got a reply: if I'd go to the store again, they'd give me another new one. BUT... This time I had to bring the original receipt... Which I lost a while ago. So I called them to say I've got some other official documents to prove that I bought my iPod at their store, but that I'd lost my receipt... So now they'll call me back tomorrow to see what we can do about it.

To make a long story short: I got an iPod 17 weeks ago and it's only been working for the first 4 weeks.  :(

Does anyone know if any of these things actually work properly?  ::)

ma_tt2

• A Thousand Pages
Re: iPods, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 06:36:50 PM »

I've no problems with mine. I think it might just be luck of the draw. I have friends who have had broken iPods, but since we're close to the U.S. it only takes a little while to repair them.

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 09:44:02 PM »

Mine stopped working too recently - I'd had it over a year and the hardrive just stopped working. I actually purchased it at a Gatwick airport Duty Free shop but I thought I'd see what the Apple shop in London had to say before I contacted the duty free shop. Anyway - I went there, had to wait 2 hours to see a techie guy and he told me what I already knew - it was broken!! BUT... he said he's swap it over even though it was out of guarantee!!!! So I got a BRAND NEW one now! RESULT! I was REALLY impressed with their service (obviously) but as Matt said, it's swings and roundabouts with these things unfortunately.

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
  • Insanity is just a state of mind
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 10:30:10 PM »

got mine in january for my birthday, worked beautifully, screen got scratched up though but i bought a case to protect what was left of it, then about 3 weeks ago, it was fine, took it out an hour later and the screen was cracked in four places. after trying for 3 hours to get apple to let me send it to them to get the screen replaced, i discovered that apple, in all their infinate wisdom, will not replace the screen. so the next thing im going for is the Creative Zen Vision: M (i had a 2gb ipod nano, this is 60gb video mp3 player thats only ~$100 more). if you go with a non-apple player, get the creative zen, the best non-apple players out there. btw, never go with the dell version, its a terrible terrible machine. and not just because i hate dell anyway
«if asking, begging and pleading doesn't work, always go with a song and dance number.» ;D
In need of a computer? visit Coughlin Computers http://coughlincomputers.tripod.com

BigMachine

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 03:40:17 AM »

I have a 30GB iPod (Video), and I'm on my second. I got my first one on November 22, last year (I won't forget the date anytime soon cuz it was the day before I went to a Macca concert), and in the middle of May, I had a problem to where I would turn it on, it would show a "!" and a message ("www.apple.com/support"). I took it to Best Buy and they said that the harddrive may be dead, and they would send it to Apple in California and they would repair it or send Best Buy an order for me to come and pick up a new one. The process was to take 3 weeks. Almost 3 weeks later, I called the number Best Buy gave me so that I could track the process, and they told me that they had the iPod downtown checking it out, after two weeks ago telling me it would be in California. So after another week or two, they had me come and get a new one. I've had no problems since.
Another great forum for music fans... [glow=red]Paradise City[/glow]

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 05:30:47 PM »

apple sucks
«if asking, begging and pleading doesn't work, always go with a song and dance number.» ;D
In need of a computer? visit Coughlin Computers http://coughlincomputers.tripod.com

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2006, 05:44:15 PM »

i've had one for ages and never really had any problems, although i did have one with downloading from itunes store the other day, but generally i support them, although they suck coz they don't have the beatles.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006, 06:23:04 PM »

All this talk is making me reconsider my decision to buy an iPod. maybe I'll just go with a cheaper mp3 player anyway.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2006, 07:36:24 PM »

In all honesty I must say that, as long as they work, iPods are MUCH cooler than regular MP3 players. They're like tiny computers with little screens and lots of folders with MP3 files that you can scroll through. You can either play a certain album, or all songs by a certain artist, or all songs in a certain genre, or just all the songs you have in random order. Than it's like your personal non-stop radio station that only plays songs that you picked.

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2006, 08:56:11 PM »

Yeh i agree they're pretty good..cures my boredom on the bus anyway :D, so i enjoy it, but they don't do anything you cant do on your computer.

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2006, 10:49:20 PM »

take a look at the Creative Zen players, as good if not better than apple, without the apple name and you dont have to convert everything to mp4 format. and, with one feature thats just cool, it even has FM radio. and their screens are better quality from what i hear.

mairi, dont go with an ipod in the near future if you get an mp3 or ipod. apple is going downhill alot of late. them and sony arent looking all that promising from what ive been reading. youve got two choices, ipod or zen...unless you want to be daring and get the microsoft equivilent...do some research before you do. i suggest looking at computershopper.com , dailytech.com or anandtech.com

Page created in 0.48 seconds with 62 queries.