Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Pet Sounds  (Read 787 times)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
Pet Sounds
« on: December 02, 2006, 12:16:11 PM »

Got my vinyl mono yesterday and heard this album for the first time - and it's astonishing. Couldn't help but think that if Brian had a foil like Lennon to play off against who knows what he could have done.
A truly groundbreaking piece of work. Having two exception songwriters/performers was a real bonus to The Beatles that I can't think of any one else having (Jagger/Richards was more a partnership).
BP is right. Brian is an absolute genius. I certainly will listen to Revolver/Pepper with a bit of a different ear now. Pet Sounds really did pave the way.
don't follow leaders
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

raxo

• Sun King
Re: Pet Sounds
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 06:10:55 PM »

Well, Rubber Soul had something to do with all those albums too ... the outsider seems to be Revolver:

Rubber Soul (1965) inspirated Pet Sounds (1966) (acchording to Brian) and while he was recording it the guys began Revolver (1966) (no inspiration spice-field) and some months later Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967) was inspirated by Pet Sounds (Paul usually says).

Brian was (still is?) a genius ... and history tells us so ...

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 12:26:24 AM »

Brian did what he set out to do,,,,he created an album that was better than 'Rubber Soul'.

Yes, 'Pet Sounds' is a masterpiece.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 12:26:44 AM »

:o

You grew up in the sixties and you've only just heard Pet Sounds for the first time???!!

I am shocked. SHOCKED!
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 07:22:48 AM »

Quote from: 218
:o

You grew up in the sixties and you've only just heard Pet Sounds for the first time???!!

I am shocked. SHOCKED!

So am I...

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 09:08:07 AM »

I hang my head in shame. When I was really into music (70's and 80's) the BB's weren't held in much regard. I don't remember anyone talking about it. I always dismissed them as naff surfer boys. I think I'm right in saying that its only been in the last 15 years or so that Wilsons work has achieved its current legandry status?
For the last ten years its always been something I was going to do but never did, like change the porch lightbulb.
don't follow leaders

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 06:12:54 PM »

If you download a sean lennon podcast on http://www.mp3.com/ you can listen to him and the interviewer discussing pet sounds in great detail..never got the album myself, bout time i did.

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 47 queries.